Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    Tebow looked pretty good this week; a lot better than Colt McCoy, that's for sure.
    Meh. He looked good running the ball, he still looked mediocre at best throwing it.

The passing skills and game awareness just aren't there. He can't read pass defenses. He can't manage the clock. He took at least one delay of game penalty and burned a time out to avoid another at one point because he can't get the play off in time.

I still think he could contribute to a team as an H-back type of player, but I don't see an NFL QB's skill-set.

Quite frankly, if all he can do well is run, I see the opportunities he's been given as a slap in the face to every similarly-skilled college QB that was forced to pick a new position if they even wanted to be considered for an NFL team. He ain't that special a runner.

As for the Browns, part of their problem is the utter lack of a running game. Who knew Peyton Hillis was such a china doll? I'd be looking elsewhere for a feature back next season. Hillis will command too high a price tag for a guy now exposed as injury-prone at a position with a very short shelf-life.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quite frankly, if all he can do well is run, I see the opportunities he's been given as a slap in the face to every similarly-skilled college QB that was forced to pick a new position if they even wanted to be considered for an NFL team. He ain't that special a runner.
    Gotta disagree with you R of G......while he's no Mike Vick in terms of agility, Tebow's a better pure runner than say Donovan McNabb in his heyday. Kind of a cross between a half-back and a full-back. Plus, he doesn't mind taking a hit either. A quality NFL QB he isn't......but maybe more as a specialty player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Gotta disagree with you R of G......while he's no Mike Vick in terms of agility, Tebow's a better pure runner than say Donovan McNabb in his heyday. Kind of a cross between a half-back and a full-back. Plus, he doesn't mind taking a hit either. A quality NFL QB he isn't......but maybe more as a specialty player.
    I'm not sure you do disagree with me as my point was that he could be more a contributor as an NFL RB than QB.

I'm not comparing him to McNabb or any other "mobile QB" with the statement you quoted. I'm comparing him to the other phenomenal option QBs who were told to pick a different position if they wanted to play for an NFL team because no team was willing to run the option in the NFL.

Are we seriously to believe that Tebow runs the option better than Jamelle Holieway did? Anybody willing to make that statement should be subject to harsh ridicule. Yet, guys like Holieway and Tommy Frazier were never given the opportunity to play QB at the NFL. That's the part I find insulting.

He may not mind taking a big hit, but if he's a full time QB and a full time QB that plays a variant of the option offense than he's going to take more hits than any team is willing to allow their starting QB to take. If he were a RB than (a) that many hits come with the job and (b) he wouldn't be involved in nearly as many plays.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

OK.......point taken......my discerning skills waned by the end of the day.........lol

Anyway, IGGLES tonite. Which version of my beloved Birds is gonna show up???

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, IGGLES tonite. Which version of my beloved Birds is gonna show up???
    The big question for me involves the two main Eagles WRs. My fantasy team is tied with my opponent for the week. We each have one player left for the week. I have Desean Jackson, he has Jeremy Maclin. Michael Vick will decide this one for us.

I also want to see if the Eagles run defense can stop Forte.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tebow looked pretty good this week; a lot better than Colt McCoy, that's for sure.
    With the kind of protection McCoy had from his line, I don't think he had a chance. Survival was the name of the game! I felt for his parents watching him get pummeled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah but I have to watch McCoy every week. He consistently throws behind his receivers. There's also been several concussions this year among his receivers. When he does get them the ball, they are taking vicious licks. This is something that the Green Bay receivers, for example, are very vocal about...Rodgers rarely does that. The Browns offense is so vanilla, that they don't have a hot read receiver in their package to deal with blitzes. Now, whether that's because the receivers, or McCoy are too stupid to handle that, I do not know. But it's hard to imagine Shurmur is so incompetent that he doesn't have any plays for a hot read receiver. McCoy and his receivers are getting KILLED out there. It was brutal to see McCoy's family there, clearly affected by what they were seeing.

We also got a first hand look at how "good" our defense is versus a good team.

Pitiful. But not to worry. Shurmur will get one more year. Then we'll start the rebuilding process, again. Terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks a bunch Andy Reid for making sure I lose my fantasy game this week. Reid has made Desean Jackson inactive for today's Eagles/Cardinals game because Jackson missed a special teams meeting on Saturday. If I were an Eagles fan I'd take that as a message that they officially think the season is over if they're willing to bench one of their most important offensive weapons because he missed a meeting. Then again, they're not willing to pay the guy either even though they spent millions bringing in every free agent available.

Bucs and Jets both on tv today. I know where I'll be.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=R_of_G;216921]
    I'm not comparing him to McNabb or any other "mobile QB" with the statement you quoted. I'm comparing him to the other phenomenal option QBs who were told to pick a different position if they wanted to play for an NFL team because no team was willing to run the option in the NFL.

Are we seriously to believe that Tebow runs the option better than Jamelle Holieway did? Anybody willing to make that statement should be subject to harsh ridicule. Yet, guys like Holieway and Tommy Frazier were never given the opportunity to play QB at the NFL. That's the part I find insulting.[QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember Holloway and Frazier. Hey R of G, didn't they play before Doug Williams and the Redskins won the SB? If so, that's probably your answer......also, the NFL wasn't used to or willing to try ultra-mobile QBs at that time.

As to Tebow and why he gets to play.......marketability and nothing else. If he plays good.......not great but good; his marketability makes signing him worthwhile to the Broncos. It's all about making the cash register go ka-ching. Tebow has a lot of people in his corner, a devoted fan base.......and it all translates in $$$$$.

Unfortunately, Holloway and Frazier were splendid before the NFL was ready for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ha!! I was hoping the Seahawks would pull a win out! Typical, when it doesn't so much matter any more other than for pride. Nice to see that Marshawn had a good game!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, Holloway and Frazier were splendid before the NFL was ready for them.
    As good an answer to that one as I've ever gotten to a question I often ask. +1

The Bucs were absolutely awful today. They had ample opportunities on offense in the first half that they killed with stupid penalties. The defense phoned it in, and got the wrong number.

Jets are not looking particularly good at the moment either. Plenty of time to go in this one though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Bucs were absolutely awful today. They had ample opportunities on offense in the first half that they killed with stupid penalties. The defense phoned it in, and got the wrong number.

Jets are not looking particularly good at the moment either. Plenty of time to go in this one though.
    The Buc's floundered while Houston's defense dominated.

At 6:51 left in the 4th, the Jets are toast.

Post Thanks / Like

IGGLES found another way to lose. DeSean Jackson got to sit home today because he missed a special teams meeting Saturday. The guillotine finally cuts Reid's head off after the season ends. Cowboys looked scary good and don't be surprised if they take some revenge out on the IGGLES when we play in Dallas near the end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    The Buc's floundered while Houston's defense dominated.

At 6:51 left in the 4th, the Jets are toast.
    It looked like the Bucs didn't know it was a 1:00 kickoff. Freeman has been regressing this season. I still think he's a franchise QB in the long run, but he needs a lot more coaching to get consistent good play.

The Jets, ugh. Sixteen points against one of the worst defenses in the league? Thirty-seven points allowed by an allegedly tough defense? Both are unacceptable to me. If the Jets want into the playoffs now, it's almost assuredly through the wild card barring some Red Sox like collapse by the Patriots.

I felt bad for Darrelle Revis on that big pass to Ochocinco. I saw him react to the same thing I was seeing on the television, the Patriots had three receivers on the right side, the Jets only had two DBs on that side. I'm thinking "even Darrelle Revis can't cover two guys at once." He was trying to get a timeout but I guess nobody saw him in time. Once Brady saw it, it was over.

IGGLES found another way to lose. DeSean Jackson got to sit home today because he missed a special teams meeting Saturday. The guillotine finally cuts Reid's head off after the season ends. Cowboys looked scary good and don't be surprised if they take some revenge out on the IGGLES when we play in Dallas near the end of the season.
    I still don't get Reid's decision. Players in this league get arrested for things and are benched for a quarter or a half, but not inactivated for an entire game. The Jets benched Braylon Edwards for a quarter two years ago after a DUI. Desean Jackson missed a single meeting and misses an entire game?

That said, the Eagles defense has a lot of explaining to do as well. They blew a fourth quarter lead against a backup QB on a team that's mediocre at best.

And yeah, the Cowboys looked like a playoff team. The Giants looked good as well, though they lost to San Francisco.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't get Reid's decision. Players in this league get arrested for things and are benched for a quarter or a half, but not inactivated for an entire game. The Jets benched Braylon Edwards for a quarter two years ago after a DUI. Desean Jackson missed a single meeting and misses an entire game?
    If Reid's player meetings are as BORING as his press conferences.......how can one blame Jackson for over-sleeping? lol

Seriously, I think Reid thought they had this game won without Jackson playing.....and so he tried to make an example out of Jackson for the other players that NO ONE gets favoritism. Of course, now it might very well mean that NO IGGLES make the playoffs. Maclin got hurt and so we had no deep threat receivers. That said, Vick overthrew Celek a number of times, once on a sure touchdown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I better pick some other team to root for in addition to the hawks. This darkhorse fandom does not make for knowing much about what is going on in the league. Frankly, in addition, I liked it better when the Hawks were part of the AFC west and we had the traditional rivalries with the Raiders, Denver and Kansas City. That was more interesting to me than this NFC West division.

I think I gotta pick me an AFC team to root for.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How in the Hell Denver won whilst completing 2 passes I don't know.

Also leave it to the Browns to miss a 22 yard field goal at the end of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

How in the Hell Denver won whilst completing 2 passes I don't know. .
    Tebow was 2/8. 8 pass attempts for an entire game. I saw the 2/8 on the ESPN ticker and I thought maybe he only played a quarter. lolololol It's not like they were playing in a snow-storm either.

Of course, the Tebow faithful will say that fully ONE-HALF of his completions was a magnificent throw with SCUD missile accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that stat line and thought Tebow got injured. As bad as I think he is, even I didn't think 2/8 could represent a whole game from an NFL QB. Even picking up the win, I have to figure Elway watches these games and thinks he's gone to bizarro world.

That win is more testimony to how bad Kansas City is. This year's AFC West is last year's NFC West. Someonesgetting to the playoffs from that division with a crappy record.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast