Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    DelHomme just got the axe. Now we just need to cut another 31 players to start completely over (again).
    I'd keep McCoy at the very least.

For what it's worth, the Browns have the chance to be the better Ohio team this year. I don't see the Bengals doing much with a rookie QB (though I think eventually Dalton will be good).

Interesting moves in the AFC East last night/this morning with Haynesworth going to New England and Reggie Bush to Miami. If anyone can get Haynesworth to play it's Bellichick so we'll see how that turns out.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    For what it's worth, the Browns have the chance to be the better Ohio team this year. I don't see the Bengals doing much with a rookie QB (though I think eventually Dalton will be good).
    I heard the Bengals were looking to sign some vet QB. I can't remember the name, but I know there was a name out there other than Dalton/Palmer.

EDIT: It's Bruce Gradkowski. He won't set the world on fire, but hopefully they play him for a while until Dalton gets his feet under him. It seems like you have to be really really great to be thrown into the fire immediately and not flounder or have it affect your confidence as a rookie QB. I used to like the approach of throwing QBs into the mix, but now I think it can really hamper them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

John Clayton was saying on the Twitters that it sounds like the Lions have a good chance of signing Johnathan Joseph. Apparently he's waiting to see where Asomugha will set the market. I'd feel a lot more confident if they could sign him.

From what the Detroit Free Press was saying, it sounds like rookies will be signing quickly because if they don't by Friday, they'll be fined $30K/day. I assume that's a part of the new CBA. It must be a mad house in those front offices now.

The Haynesworth trade will show that either old Bill still has it or he's officially lost it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I heard the Bengals were looking to sign some vet QB. I can't remember the name, but I know there was a name out there other than Dalton/Palmer.

EDIT: It's Bruce Gradkowski. He won't set the world on fire, but hopefully they play him for a while until Dalton gets his feet under him. It seems like you have to be really really great to be thrown into the fire immediately and not flounder or have it affect your confidence as a rookie QB. I used to like the approach of throwing QBs into the mix, but now I think it can really hamper them.
    I had a chance to see Gradkowski play here with the Bucs for a couple of seasons. He's a competent NFL QB who can run an offense and make minimal mistakes, certainly someone that should be able to hold down the fort until Dalton learns the offense and adjusts to the speed of the NFL game. A good pickup for the Bengals. I think they could pick up a lot more if they'd get off their high-horse and trade Carson Palmer but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    John Clayton was saying on the Twitters that it sounds like the Lions have a good chance of signing Johnathan Joseph. Apparently he's waiting to see where Asomugha will set the market. I'd feel a lot more confident if they could sign him.
    That'd be a great pickup for the Lions. Everyone assumes that if the Jets don't land Asomugha that they'll just re-sign Cromartie, but I'm hoping that if Nnamdi decides to go elsewhere that the Jets make a run at Joseph before Cromartie. Cromartie makes a lot of highlight reel plays but he gives up just as many. Joseph is more consistent if less flashy.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to see the Lions d-line destroy a few worlds. The thought of them playing the Vikings twice with either a rookie QB or an immobile McNabb is almost too delicious for words.

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up. I know that injuries happen. If they "happen" to one of the big three (Stafford, Johnson, or Suh) the season officially gets ugly. What I would really like to see this year is that the last game of the season at Lambeau would really matter and that the Lions would finally win there.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to see the Lions d-line destroy a few worlds. The thought of them playing the Vikings twice with either a rookie QB or an immobile McNabb is almost too delicious for words.
    How's their o-line? I know it's incredibly unsexy, but I think that coaching and play from the lines is usually pretty important. Without that, it's tough to get the most out of the skill positions. I know there are exceptions, but it holds true more often than not IMO. I don't know much about the Motor City Kitties, so I'm curious how you'd rate their offensive line.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, question for you about the Eagles.

Assuming that Kolb does get dealt, what are they looking at as far as the backup QB situation?

Vick's style of play is his greatest asset but also the thing which raises his probability for injury higher than other QBs. I wonder if the Eagles will be looking for a competent veteran to back him up should he go down again for a few games like last season. Not sure who that would be right now, probably something that will need to pan out as camps begin and guys get cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Eric, question for you about the Eagles.

Assuming that Kolb does get dealt, what are they looking at as far as the backup QB situation?

Vick's style of play is his greatest asset but also the thing which raises his probability for injury higher than other QBs. I wonder if the Eagles will be looking for a competent veteran to back him up should he go down again for a few games like last season. Not sure who that would be right now, probably something that will need to pan out as camps begin and guys get cut.
    Well, the talk around here right now seems to center on Brett Favre as the backup. Take that however you would like. Some people are saying Vince Young, but I'd be surprised to see him end up here.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the backup situation will end up. If it's Mike Kafka, so be it, but that's really risky. I have to assume they'll end up with some vet familiar with the WCO eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

As a serious contender, I can't imagine the Eagles will actually move on Favre unless it's during the season and Vick gets hurt and Favre is still out there throwing passes high school kids in Mississippi. To take him now as a backup only brings a whole bunch of unnecessary media attention I doubt Reid wants in his locker room.

Post Thanks / Like

So Reggie Bush is going to the Fins. I wish both the very best. When Bush is in the backfield, you never really know what he's going to do but sadly, for the Saints, except for 1 year, he never came close to earning his pay. And, he ain't gonna get 25 touches with the backfield the Saints have. Miami seems to have plans to make the backfield work around him. I sincerely hope it does.
    The last back they got from the Saints was a bust......Ricky Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

How's their o-line? I know it's incredibly unsexy, but I think that coaching and play from the lines is usually pretty important. Without that, it's tough to get the most out of the skill positions. I know there are exceptions, but it holds true more often than not IMO. I don't know much about the Motor City Kitties, so I'm curious how you'd rate their offensive line.
    There's a lot of question marks with Backus being hurt and Cherilus coming off surgery. Raiola is a good center and firey leader. Their TEs are very good. The biggest thing that will help the line, I think, is to make defenses think a bit. The Best/Leshoure combo in the backfield will help, if Best can keep his toes healthy. Hopefully they can be a good thunder/lightning combo. If d-lines can pin their ears back and come after Stafford, it will be a long season.

Found this link to be interesting: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ased-25-talent Not sure if you can see if because it's an Insider thing. Anyway, they rank the clubs with the best under-25 talent. They rank the Lions fifth. The Bucs are first. The very-young Packers are 7th. R of G's Jets are dead last. That's not saying they're bad, just that they don't have a ton of youth beyond Sanchez. That was the problem with my Lions five years ago. They were very old AND they were bad.

If the Eagles sign Farve I am going to simultaneously laugh and throw up.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Eagles sign Farve I am going to simultaneously laugh and throw up.
    Yeah, I'm never quite sure how much of the talk is just sports-radio bluster and uneducated/excitable callers, and how much is actually based in reality. It's probably somewhere in between the two, as with most things in life.

Post Thanks / Like

Found this link to be interesting: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ased-25-talent Not sure if you can see if because it's an Insider thing. Anyway, they rank the clubs with the best under-25 talent. They rank the Lions fifth. The Bucs are first. The very-young Packers are 7th. R of G's Jets are dead last. That's not saying they're bad, just that they don't have a ton of youth beyond Sanchez. That was the problem with my Lions five years ago. They were very old AND they were bad.
    This is why the Jets pursue free agents as aggressively as they do the last few years because they know the window is very small for them with their current core of talent. That said, they have had some very good drafts the last few years, Gholston not withstanding. I'm more worried about their present than their future.

The Bucs are on the brink of breaking out in a big way. They need a few pieces on defense still and more consistent play from the O-Line, but they have a solid core of excellent young talent. I said then and I'll say now that while I'm happy with Sanchez and Stafford can be great if healthy, I think Josh Freeman will eventually prove to be the best QB in that draft and it's been fun watching him develop here in Tampa.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw blurb on ESPN that Vince Young may sign with the Iggles. We're sort of the Raiders East.....taking and signing malcontents and misfits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    I saw blurb on ESPN that Vince Young may sign with the Iggles. We're sort of the Raiders East.....taking and signing malcontents and misfits.
    Taking a misfit QB seemed to work out pretty well for the Eagles last season.

If you can get Vince Young at a bargain basement price as a backup, I say jump on that chance. What he can do on the field is hard to ignore. Arizona just gave Kolb a guaranteed $20+ million and he's started all of what, seven NFL games? Whatever you get Young for is a massive bargain. Even if the Eagles never need to use him, he may be attractive to another team at some point and they can then get value for him in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    So Reggie Bush is going to the Fins. I wish both the very best. When Bush is in the backfield, you never really know what he's going to do but sadly, for the Saints, except for 1 year, he never came close to earning his pay. And, he ain't gonna get 25 touches with the backfield the Saints have. Miami seems to have plans to make the backfield work around him. I sincerely hope it does.
    The problem, as I saw it, was that the Saints expected (at least initially) for Bush to be something he's not, an every down NFL back. I can't imagine they drafted him second overall to be a third down change-up guy. If the Dolphins think Bush is a 25+ carry per game every down back then I look forward to playing them twice a year to prove how wrong they are.

I'm saddened that he's going to Miami, primarily because I hate the f'n Dolphins, but more because I thought he'd have been a very good fit in Tampa. He'd be an excellent change of pace back from the bruising LeGarrette Blount and give Freeman another pass option on short yardage situations.

I'm actually quite annoyed at how inactive the Bucs are in this free-agency period given they have the most room under the cap, including $50 million they are mandated to spend this season by the new CBA rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    The last back they got from the Saints was a bust......Ricky Williams.
    For you guys, for sure. For the Dolphins, I'd say it was a pretty good pickup on their part as he had some amazing years for them, particularly after his absence over the drug policy violations. He was never going to live up to being worth an entire draft worth of picks, but that was a pretty unfair expectation for Ditka and Saints' fans to put on the guy.

Post Thanks / Like

So I hear Orton is going to Miami now. That will be interesting: Bush, Orton, Marshall, etc. I wonder how they'll fare.

Also, I hear Darren Sproles signed with New Orleans, so they probably won't even miss a beat without Bush.

Post Thanks / Like

So I hear Orton is going to Miami now. That will be interesting: Bush, Orton, Marshall, etc. I wonder how they'll fare.

Also, I hear Darren Sproles signed with New Orleans, so they probably won't even miss a beat without Bush.
    Orton is definitely a huge upgrade from Chad Henne. As a Jets fan I want the Dolphins to improve. I want my team to earn their victories in tough-fought contests. The better the division is, the better the winner will have to play to emerge from the division.

Sproles is a good signing for the Saints. He should fill Bush's role nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, The Hoodie has lost it. Signing Ochocinco? Really? After getting Haynesworth who only likes 4-3s for a predominately 3-4? What's next? Jeff George? Art Schlichter?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, The Hoodie has lost it. Signing Ochocinco? Really? After getting Haynesworth who only likes 4-3s for a predominately 3-4? What's next? Jeff George? Art Schlichter?
    I heard he's bringing in Steve DeBerg for a shot at the backup QB spot.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast