Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Nfl 2011 - Page 9
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    +1 to all the above! Freeman already is incredible. The Lions are finally back.

I liked Sanchez when he first opened for the Jets because you could see his potential. He still has potential, but needs to mature into a leader and improve his real time thinking on the field.
    The issue I have with him is that it's now year three and he hasn't shown any improvement in his thinking. He still makes the exact same bad throws he did two seasons ago. He still can't figure out how to throw it out of bounds or just take a sack.

He's got all the physical tools, he just lacks the mental capacity and if he hasn't shown any learning by now I fear he never will.

If Schaub gains the same high level of professionalism, drive, and quick thinking of guys like Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Brady or (I know you hate him, but he is/was the best at real time, heads up modern QB'ing) Payton Manning, he could take the Texans to the top.
    Hate him or not, there's no denying Manning's achievements. He's the best I've seen play the position in my football-watching lifetime.

While Houston is my home team, I love to watch and root the Eagles, Saints, and Jets.
    The Jets and Bucs are my home teams but I also root for Houston and Chicago as the home teams of my siblings, both of whom will always be Jets' fans but like me have adopted the home teams of their cities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Not that it matters.....but "how many steps..." is not the issue. A "head shot" or leading with the head-to-the-head should be penalized irregardless of "how many steps" are taken.
    Here's a question that came up during yesterday's Bucs' game.

According to analyst and former coach Brian Billick, head shots are only illegal on a QB behind the line of scrimmage or a "defenseless receiver." On anyone else he claims they're fair game.

It came up when Josh Freeman ran with the ball and was hit by a Falcons' defender with an obvious helmet-to-helmet shot. The home crowd went nuts wondering where the flag was.

Billick claims that once Freeman crossed the line of scrimmage he was essentially a RB and it's ok to hit RBs head to head like that.

I had a hard time believing this could be true. If the league is serious about preventing head injuries how can they limit the protection to only certain players at certain times? Why is it ok to attempt to cripple a RB but not a WR?

The "defenseless receiver" thing is a joke too. Anybody see the New England/Buffalo game? Wes Welker caught a pass and began running. He was then crushed with a head-to-head shot for which a penalty was called on the Buffalo defender. According to Billick's explanation this was the wrong call. He ceased being defenseless once he started running.

The overall point is that until the league is consistent with its officials about what the rules really are we will see the same thing week in and week out, wrong calls and missed calls.

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Re the refs.......aren't the NFL refs just part-time employees? Don't they have regular jobs during the week? I'm pretty sure they are "different" than MLB, NBA and NHL refs/lineman, who are full-time employees of their league, or at least during the regular/playoff season.
    I don't think they have day jobs during the season, but yes, unlike the other professional sports leagues where the officials are full time employees, in the NFL they are contract workers for the season only.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I've been disappointed with the Jets plenty, it comes with the territory, but I have not been this disgusted with the Jets in a very long time.

What bothers me the most about the loss last night was that the Jets failure was entirely one-sided. Despite the final score, the Jets' defense was only responsible for 13 of the 34 points the Jets surrendered. If your defense can hold an opponent to 13 there's no excuse not to win the game.

Last season they held the offensive juggernaut Packers to 9 points and lost 9-0. Last season they held the Ravens to 10 points and lost 10-9. Those games were extremely disappointing but last night was exponentially worse.

Last night not only was the offense too inept to take advantage of what the defense did, they made mistakes that gave Baltimore points. Our first play from scrimmage resulted in a touchdown for Baltimore.

If there was ever any question of why I don't like Mark Sanchez last night can answer pretty much all of them. I had high hopes for the guy (though I'd always have preferred we drafted Freeman instead) but he's a big disappointment. He has the physical tools. He lacks the brainpower.

In fairness, the injuries to the offensive line and our utter lack of depth after the starters on that line have made Sanchez an easy QB to pressure and a defensive powerhouse like the Ravens are going to exploit that. I understand Sanchez struggling but that only excuses incomplete passes or killed plays not fumbles and mishandled snaps. Brian Schottenheimer doesn't help either.

Trouble on the line or not the Jets cannot succeed if they do not stick with the run. Sanchez is a more successful QB when they mix in play action and without the run a good defense won't fall for it knowing it's a pass every time. A lot of fans are down on Shonn Greene but I still believe in him. Greene is a sturdy enough RB that if you just keep giving it to him he's going to grind out yardage. When he gets good blocking he's an excellent back but even when he doesn't he still makes it difficult for a single tackler to bring him down and fights for every yard.

The only thing that makes it a little better for me is that the Bucs are on Monday Night Football tonight. This is the first time they've been on MNF since the season following the Super Bowl win. Incidentally, that MNF game was also against the Colts. The Bucs lost badly but the Colts had Peyton Manning that night. Tonight they won't. I would like to see this as a national coming out party for Freeman and Blount and the young guys on the defensive line. With the mediocrity in the NFC East and West this season, it's entirely possible the NFC South can place both wild card teams. Really, it's a battle between the Bucs/Saints/Falcons and the Lions.

I now officially believe the Lions can be a playoff team this season. I'd said previously that I believed they've made significant progress and could have a winning record this season but coming back against the Vikings was great for the Lions but not the most impressive thing in the world this season. Yesterday showed me something else. They're better than the Bears.

One question though... why would Dallas be passing so much leading 27-3? If you have a QB like Romo who tends to throw many interceptions, why increase the probability that he will by continuing to pass in unnecessary situations?

Oh also I like the Lions' success because I have Megatron on both of my fantasy teams and I'm winning most of my games because of him.

My neighbor is going to the game tonight. I'm jealous. At least it won't be blacked out on tv.

B-U-C-S Bucs Bucs Bucs!

EDIT: One more one more thing... I think Vince Young was right. The Eagles are a dream team. I know I've personally had many dreams where the Eagles lose 3/4 of their games.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    One last thing, speaking of potential NFC wild card teams... I now officially believe the Lions can be a playoff team this season. I'd said previously that I believed they've made significant progress and could have a winning record this season but coming back against the Vikings was great for the Lions but not the most impressive thing in the world this season. Yesterday showed me something else. One question though... why would Dallas be passing so much leading 27-3? If you have a QB like Romo who tends to throw many interceptions, why increase the probability that he will by continuing to pass in unnecessary situations?
    That's the thing. At points they started handing the ball off a lot and I said, "They're doing what the Vikings failed to do last weekend." But then they stopped. Even after two pick-sixes. After last week's game, I didn't stop watching this time, although I was close. It's good to know that they can come back from almost any deficit. It would be nice if they didn't have to. If you would have told me that the Lions would be 4-0 whilst playing Dallas, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay on the road, I would have told you to go to rehab. But here we are.

As a lifelong Lions fan I am also obligated to point out that the last time the Lions started 4-0, a couple of them re-recorded "Another One Bites the Dust." They proceeded to go 5-7 the rest of the way and missed the playoffs.

Ford Field is going to be freaking insane on Monday.

Oh also I like the Lions' success because I have Megatron on both of my fantasy teams and I'm winning most of my games because of him.
    He's on mine too. He was my #1 pick (after my two keepers: Drew Brees and Ray Rice). It's nice for me, and rare, that having one of my favorite players from my favorite team can help my fantasy team too. When it was first and goal on the last drive, I said to my kids, "In Megatron we trust." Dallas couldn't stop him with 12. I think that it was Rob Ryan's arrogance that finally did them in on that. How can you only put one defender on him when you have 12 on the field!?!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see the BUC's losing tonite and though I feel sorry for the Colts, they've had their fun in the sun. Time for others to shine now. If it has to be the BUC's, I'm down on that until they play the Saints.
    Re: the Lions.....I like what I see but still think they are going to hit some brick walls soon. OK, they beat the BUCs but that was only game one. The Chiefs and Vikings....well, they aren't that good. Even Dallas is not as good as many make them out to be. OK, their D is good but other than Monday night, when Romo looked good, Dallas isn't anything to brag about. They'll lose twice to the Packers and likely to San Diego. Maybe the Saints and the Bears have a chance to beat them as well.
    I'm doubtful anyone will go undefeated and as much as I like the Packers, I doubt they'll go undefeated.

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: One more one more thing... I think Vince Young was right. The Eagles are a dream team. I know I've personally had many dreams where the Eagles lose 3/4 of their games.
    Yeah, well that dream may soon become a reality. How the heck did we lose that game. No killer instinct!! That comes from the coach. Would somebody please get rid of Reid? PLEASE!!!

And the TACKLING.......I am sick of shoulder tackling....God gave you arms.....use them to tackle.....is it that hard to do???

The City is SICK!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    That's the thing. At points they started handing the ball off a lot and I said, "They're doing what the Vikings failed to do last weekend." But then they stopped. Even after two pick-sixes. After last week's game, I didn't stop watching this time, although I was close. It's good to know that they can come back from almost any deficit. It would be nice if they didn't have to. If you would have told me that the Lions would be 4-0 whilst playing Dallas, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay on the road, I would have told you to go to rehab. But here we are.
    It's the position I was in last year as a Jets fan. They kept making these great comebacks in games they shouldn't have needed to come back in.

As a lifelong Lions fan I am also obligated to point out that the last time the Lions started 4-0, a couple of them re-recorded "Another One Bites the Dust." They proceeded to go 5-7 the rest of the way and missed the playoffs.
    I hear ya. I'll never forget 1986 when the Jets opened 10-1 and longtime Jet-hating analyst Paul McGuire predicted they'd lose their last five games and miss the playoffs. Sure enough, they did.

I think that it was Rob Ryan's arrogance that finally did them in on that. How can you only put one defender on him when you have 12 on the field!?!
    So since Rob Ryan said earlier in the week that Johnson wasn't as good as the WRs the Cowboys defense has to cover in practice does that mean they do a crappy job covering Austin and Bryant in practice because they couldn't cover Megatron if they'd lined up 14 guys on that play.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    I can't see the BUC's losing tonite and though I feel sorry for the Colts, they've had their fun in the sun. Time for others to shine now. If it has to be the BUC's, I'm down on that until they play the Saints.
    I can see it happening. It's been 19 years since I moved to Tampa. I've seen enough to know it's never over until there are triple zeroes on the clock. That said, it's a game we should win.

Oh and I'm cool with the Saints because of my fondness for New Orleans unless they play the Bucs. Then they're the enemy.

Post Thanks / Like

If there was ever any question of why I don't like Mark Sanchez last night can answer pretty much all of them. I had high hopes for the guy (though I'd always have preferred we drafted Freeman instead) but he's a big disappointment. He has the physical tools. He lacks the brainpower.
    Holy cow! Last night definitely brought your criticisms of Sanchez to light. That sort of lack of performance is inexcusable.

An amazing level of incompetence.

The Seahawks actually showed some signs of life, but I still have serious doubts about their ability to move the ball down-field. At least the defense is somewhat enjoyable to watch.

As much as I dislike Jackson, at least now I can be relieved that it's not Sanchez out there!

It seems both of my favorite teams may end up in the gutter this season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Holy cow! Last night definitely brought your criticisms of Sanchez to light. That sort of lack of performance is inexcusable.

An amazing level of incompetence.
    +1 He stank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, seeing him begging the ref regarding his fumble in the 2nd quarter. And Ryan calling a time out so he could do it. It looked like Pop Warner football. Sanchez is a douche.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Re: the Lions.....I like what I see but still think they are going to hit some brick walls soon. OK, they beat the BUCs but that was only game one. The Chiefs and Vikings....well, they aren't that good. Even Dallas is not as good as many make them out to be. OK, their D is good but other than Monday night, when Romo looked good, Dallas isn't anything to brag about. They'll lose twice to the Packers and likely to San Diego. Maybe the Saints and the Bears have a chance to beat them as well.
    I'm doubtful anyone will go undefeated and as much as I like the Packers, I doubt they'll go undefeated.
    Oh, I have no delusions that the Lions are anything other a young team learning how to win. To think that they'll go undefeated is laughable. Eventually, someone will make them pay if they fall behind. Remember that the Lions dropped 26 straight on the road. 26 straight. Think about that. Now going back to last year they've won five in a row. I don't care who you are playing. I'll take 5-0 over 0-26. After years of have people question my sanity for remaining a fan, I at least have something to cheer for.

Another thing besides the 1980 memories keeping me from getting too excited is the 2007 season. Detroit started 6-2. There was talk of Ron Marinelli for coach of the year (I kid you not). They went 1-7 the rest of the way and 0-16 the next season. To make it sound even worse, after going 6-2 they proceeded to go 5-31.

I will say this, don't put too much money on the Packers against the Lions. Remember that the Lions beat them in Detroit last year and barely lost in Green Bay despite out-rushing, out-passing, and getting more turnovers than they did. After the game in Detroit last year, many around here thought the wheels had come off for the Pack. My two goals going into this season were a) that the last game in Green Bay would mean something, and b) that the Lions would win.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I will say this, don't put too much money on the Packers against the Lions. Remember that the Lions beat them in Detroit last year and barely lost in Green Bay despite out-rushing, out-passing, and getting more turnovers than they did. After the game in Detroit last year, many around here thought the wheels had come off for the Pack. My two goals going into this season were a) that the last game in Green Bay would mean something, and b) that the Lions would win.
    Didn't the Lions knock out Rodgers in one of those games? Just trying to see if my memory is accurate..
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Didn't the Lions knock out Rodgers in one of those games? Just trying to see if my memory is accurate..
    I don't remember if they did in Green Bay but I know they did in Detroit.

That Green Bay road losing record is the last monkey for the Lions to get off their back. They haven't beaten the Pack in Green Bay since that magical 1991 season--the last time they won a playoff game (and the only time they have in my lifetime). Of course, that "magical" season was also bookended by thumpings at the hands of the Washington Redskins, first in pre-season, then in the NFC Championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone see the "brain dead" move that Eagles running back Ronnie Brown pulled on the 2 or 3 yrd line of the 49ers? He runs....get stopped...and then decides to try to pass/lateral the ball back to Lord-only-knows-who as he's falling while being tackled. Mind you, it wasn't a
    4th down-end-of-the-game play. Ruled a fumble and the 49ers recover. I ruled it FRIGGIN' STUPID. My daughter and I just looked at each other....dumbfounded.......her cat, Riseling, just covered her eyes with her paws.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see all of the MNF game but did see most of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th and I was surprised at 2 things.....first, that the Colts were actually winning most of the game and second, just how sloppy both teams played. I can see the Colts with their retrofitted team making errors and I know the Bucs are a young team but the errors both made were pretty bad IMO. Maybe the refs threw too many flags but way too many penalties added on the poor clock management and false starts. You see this every game but it appeared to me that last nights was more noticeable.

What a tight race in the NFC south. Gotta love it if you're in it!

Post Thanks / Like

At least the Bucs provided me a win in what was turning out to be a lousy sports weekend between losses by the Jets, USF Bulls and two Yankees losses.

It was a bit more competitive a game than I'd anticipated, but other than the massive drop-off at the QB position, the Colts are still a pretty talented team. Like I've said, the Bucs are progressing nicely in their third season with Coach Morris but there are still plenty of spots on the defensive side of the ball where they could use an upgrade.

I was particularly pleased with the performance of CB E.J. Biggers. He's developing into a solid cover corner. It's good to see depth at that position since Ronde Barber won't be around forever and Aquib Talib (as talented as he is) seems prone to off-field troubles which could remove him from the lineup at any time.

The defensive front has the potential to solidify into something special. The addition of Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers on the outsides of Gerald McCoy and Brian Price makes the Bucs a handful for any pass protection schemes. Perhaps my favorite addition so far has been Michael Bennett (claimed off waivers from Steve's Seahawaks). He is becoming a strong asset to the defensive line rotations the Bucs employ. I also enjoy seeing how it frees up McCoy.

A lot of Bucs fans seem down on McCoy after last season. They all thought a DT taken third overall would be the next Warren Sapp. Firstly, that's a ridiculous standard to hold a 22 year old kid to and more importantly, McCoy didn't under-perform at all when you compare his numbers to Sapp's rookie numbers. People tend to forget that Sapp wasn't dominant immediately. He only had 3 sacks and 30 something tackles his first season. What McCoy did show last year was that he drew double teams on almost every play creating opportunities for other pass rushers.

There's also a predominant myth that I just heard again this weekend that McCoy might be good but we could have gotten Suh. I'm still not sure where that comes from. The fact that many Bucs fans wish we could have moved up in the draft doesn't mean they could have or that the Lions would have. It's unfair to compare any other player to Suh. He's special. That said, I'm plenty happy with McCoy and we got LeGarrette Blount for free out of the same draft class and he's arguably the best of the class at his position.

They're at the 49ers next week which will be another interesting test.
    After that it's home to play the Saints. That's the measuring stick I'm looking at the most.

Post Thanks / Like

And if I can't stand Andy Reid enough......he a guy who coached OFFENSIVE LINE for 10 yrs and made him the DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.....say WHAT?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Eagles? Anyone home?
    Texans? Have you hidden the Schaub corpse yet?

Well, at least the 49er's had a good game today.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Eagles lose again in a very sloppy game from them. They just keep turning the ball over like it's their job, the offensive line still blows, and their run defense in still horrible. Even their pass defense isn't very good, but it's most noticeable in the red zone. Blech. This season sucks, and this has to be the earliest I've started to give up on them in the 10 years I've been in Philadelphia.

In other news, I watched the Bucs-Niners game, and the Bucs just looked bad. I'm not sure if that was San Fran being on fire or what, but it was (obviously) really one-sided. Vernon Davis was certainly impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe what the 9ers did to the Bucs. I know they're a much improved team but the blowout was totally unexpected. And, the first half of the Packers/Falcons game was a surprise but GB adjusted nicely in the second half.
    And, my Saints managed to pull out a win and even with a poor defense (and some very bad calls on both sides) Newton was kept to a season low in passing.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast