Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nfl 2011

Now that we know there will be an NFL 2011 season, it's time for an NFL 2011 thread.

What's going on with your team in this unprecedented free agency period?

The Jets have some big decisions to make in free agency. WRs Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith as well as CB Antonio Cromartie are all free agents. I'd focus on Holmes, though the Redskins will likely throw a lot of money his way. Edwards is good but not irreplaceable. Smith, as many of you have heard me say for years now, is the best offensive player the Jets have though the OC has yet to figure out how to properly use him. Truth be told, I'd give up all of them to sign Nnamdi Asomugha to pair with Darrelle Revis. There are other options available at WR and the Jets offense is not predicated on passing anyway, so why not put the two premier cover corners on the same defense? I don't see it happening, but some reports say Nnamdi wants to come to the Jets if the money is right.

The Bucs have the most room under the cap. I'd like to see some of it go to re-signing OL Davin Joseph. The rest can be invested in putting some veteran pieces into the defense. With all the room under the cap, I'd not be surprised to see the Bucs get in on the Asomugha sweepstakes as well.

Will have to see how the rest of this "lightning round pre-season" plays out before I can make any predictions on how my teams will do, but this should be an interesting season all around.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the Saints might have the most free agents this season so some big names on our team will be saying bye-bye. Can't sign them all. There's not much time and the agents may actually earn some of the mega bucks they get. Going to be an exciting week, that's for sure.
    Let's play some ball!

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, things are moving more slowly than I thought they would. I figured we'd have at least one trade done by now, but instead all that's happened is some crappy players (Tavaris Jackson, Quentin Mikell, etc.) have agreed to terms with new teams.

I think I'm most intrigued by what happens with the QBs in free agency. I hope Kolb gets dealt to Arizona. I want to see him get a legit chance somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    To be honest, things are moving more slowly than I thought they would. I figured we'd have at least one trade done by now, but instead all that's happened is some crappy players (Tavaris Jackson, Quentin Mikell, etc.) have agreed to terms with new teams.

I think I'm most intrigued by what happens with the QBs in free agency. I hope Kolb gets dealt to Arizona. I want to see him get a legit chance somewhere.
    It's only been 24 hours since free agency opened.

Hasselbeck signed with the Titans this morning. McNabb's been officially traded to the Vikings.
    Seems fast enough for me with the established QBs. Kolb will likely be dealt soon enough.

Interested to see if Orton goes anywhere with the Broncos allegedly putting all their eggs in Tebow's basket.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    It's only been 24 hours since free agency opened.
    I realize that, but with the widespread tampering that goes on, I figured there were already a number of teams that were ready to execute as soon as the lockout was released.

Hasselbeck signed with the Titans this morning. McNabb's been officially traded to the Vikings.
    Huh. I didn't realize that. That certainly gets things rolling. How much is McNabb willing to play for in Minnesota?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

How much is McNabb willing to play for in Minnesota?
    If it's his only opportunity to start for an NFL team this year I'd suspect he'll be reasonable given that he's already a very wealthy man.

I think a lot of teams are missing the boat on Vince Young.

I know he's a little questionable off the field, but a lot of that could be maturity issues and perhaps losing his first job will help him make the changes to his attitude he needs to succeed.

There is no questioning what Vince Young has done on the football field. No offense to Kolb, who I feel has a chance to be quite good, but he's proven very little while Young is a proven winner in the NFL (30-17) . Certainly he deserves a shot to start before Tarvaris Jackson.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to see the Lions return to respectability. And for them to sign at least one good CB and LB. And if Backus' pectoral injury is really bad, they'll need someone to cover Stafford's blind side.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    If it's his only opportunity to start for an NFL team this year I'd suspect he'll be reasonable given that he's already a very wealthy man.
    We'll see. McNabb is very prideful and kind of immature when it comes to business, and his agent has kind of proven to be similar in the past. I hope McNabb wakes up and realizes this is his best chance to start this year.

Also, since when does accrued earnings have anything to do with taking less money?

I think a lot of teams are missing the boat on Vince Young.

I know he's a little questionable off the field, but a lot of that could be maturity issues and perhaps losing his first job will help him make the changes to his attitude he needs to succeed.

There is no questioning what Vince Young has done on the football field. No offense to Kolb, who I feel has a chance to be quite good, but he's proven very little while Young is a proven winner in the NFL (30-17) . Certainly he deserves a shot to start before Tarvaris Jackson.
    Perhaps. I think that from the outside it's fairly easy to minimize maturity issues, but they can wreck an organization in a hurry. Think about any job you've ever had when you got along with your colleagues. Now think of the worst person with whom you've ever worked. Imagine combining the two situations. Would you willingly combine the two if you didn't have to?

I don't know. I'm just trying to understand what teams might be thinking when it comes to VY.

Post Thanks / Like

I follow NY Daily News Jets' beat writer Manish Mehta on Twitter.
    He's reporting the Jets have re-signed Santonio Homes to a five year deal.
    Now that that's settled, let's get Nnamdi in green.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    And if Backus' pectoral injury is really bad, they'll need someone to cover Stafford's blind side.
    What's your impression of Stafford at this point? Injury-prone, victim of a crappy offensive line, or just really really unlucky?

Post Thanks / Like

Also, since when does accrued earnings have anything to do with taking less money?
    Yeah, that part was a bit more what I'd do if I were in McNabb's situation. Minnesota is not a bad situation for a QB to be in. They've got one of the top RBs in the league. If they can re-sign Sydney Rice they've got a good deep threat for McNabb to hit. Shiancoe is a solid pass-catching TE. He won't be expected to be the franchise QB for the next however long he's got left. It's just come in and play solid while they teach Christian Ponder the offense.

Perhaps. I think that from the outside it's fairly easy to minimize maturity issues, but they can wreck an organization in a hurry. Think about any job you've ever had when you got along with your colleagues. Now think of the worst person with whom you've ever worked. Imagine combining the two situations. Would you willingly combine the two if you didn't have to?

I don't know. I'm just trying to understand what teams might be thinking when it comes to VY.
    No doubt. I'd be wary of signing Young as well until I saw some evidence that he's learned from what he did wrong in Tennessee. The longer he waits in free agency, the more it may get through to him that he needs to make the most out of whatever opportunity he gets. I just think if he can keep his head together off the field than he can have a lot of success on the field with his skill set.

Post Thanks / Like

How much is McNabb willing to play for in Minnesota?
    Re-visiting this one it occurs to me that it nay be a moot point. McNabb wasn't a free agent. He was traded to Minnesota so he's still under contract. Conceivably he could hold out for more money, but at coming off of his worst season ever, I think he plays the year for whatever he agreed to take from Washington and sees what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

What's your impression of Stafford at this point? Injury-prone, victim of a crappy offensive line, or just really really unlucky?
    Injury-prone: it sure seems that way in the pros, but he was basically injury-free in college and high school, as I understand it

Crappy line: the Lions' line certainly isn't the best, but on several of the plays he got injured, the play had gone long beyond where you can reasonably expect linemen to hold their blocks. One time it got them a TD (see the Browns game). The other times he just got hurt. In the Chicago game Backus (I think it was) got beaten cleanly by Peppers, but he's certainly not the first o-lineman to have that happen to him.

Unlucky: this is what I'm hoping right now. None of the injuries that he has had should permanently affect him. Hopefully the upper-body work he did this off-season will help. I'm hoping that it's basically Phil Sims Mk II with him.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that it's basically Phil Sims Mk II with him.
    I had to look up that one. Guess I'm too young to have known about him earlier in his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot that it should be "Simms" though. I guess when I hear that name my first thought is "Billy."

Post Thanks / Like

If one believes the Eagles' merchandise website, the Kolb to Arizona for Rodgers-Cromartie is done, or the Eagles have an interesting way of handling their online store.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artie-jerseys/

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot that it should be "Simms" though. I guess when I hear that name my first thought is "Billy."
    Or "Ernie!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DelHomme just got the axe. Now we just need to cut another 31 players to start completely over (again).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    DelHomme just got the axe. Now we just need to cut another 31 players to start completely over (again).
    Well...admittedly, they're in kind of a tight spot this year with the late start that the new head coach is getting with the team. I suppose you never know though.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast