Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Nfl 2011 - Page 21
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    So anyone ready to pick who's going to the Super Bowl yet? It's the NFL, anything can happen.
    Picked the Saints before the season started, sticking to that. Had the Chargers on the other side. Obviously that ain't happening. I'll take New England on the AFC side at this point.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I picked Green Bay vs. Chargers at the beginning of the season. I was wrong. I hope the Saints get there but am doubtful. Brees is due a bad day and I fear it will come soon. However, my wife can tell you, I'm wrong about everything so I hope I'm wrong about this.
    I still think GB will get in (barring an injury to you know who) and am thinking the Ravens with their defense can make a play. Really can't see Texas or Denver though it sure would be good to see 2 teams not in for awhile such as Texas and SF. But, if it has to be the Saints, I guess I will find the time and money to party with the Lombardi one more time.

Yesssss, Stafford is quite a treat and the NFL has lots to look forward to. He, Newton, and the new guys could bring some fun to the NFL. (if you like offense)

Post Thanks / Like

Brees is due a bad day and I fear it will come soon. However, my wife can tell you, I'm wrong about everything so I hope I'm wrong about this.
    Then get ready to be happy because you're assuredly wrong on that one. As far as probability goes, there's no validity to the "due theory."
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Then get ready to be happy because you're assuredly wrong on that one. As far as probability goes, there's no validity to the "due theory."
    Guess it's just my 40 years of Saints history that has become part of my DNA. It is more likely that the team would suck before Brees would. He is human.
    My concern really should be for the running game against the 49ers. Not the outdoors concern but the turf vs. grass concern. Our backs are so use to turf and I think that was the problem in Tampa that cost the Saints a win. I hope they practice alot on grass this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it's just my 40 years of Saints history that has become part of my DNA.
    Trust me, as a Jets/Bucs fan, I understand that mindset.

My concern really should be for the running game against the 49ers. Not the outdoors concern but the turf vs. grass concern. Our backs are so use to turf and I think that was the problem in Tampa that cost the Saints a win. I hope they practice alot on grass this week.
    If Ivory can get going in important yardage run situations they should be alright. Grass shouldn't be an issue for Sproles. He played on it plenty in San Diego and before that at Kansas State. What I want to see is if the Saints can stop the 49ers running attack. That will be crucial for a Saints victory. Alex Smith is having a better year than people expected from him but the Saints' chances have to be better if they force him to win with his arm rather than allowing Frank Gore to slash them up them all day long.

On a Saints/guitar note... we had people over for a party saturday night. Towards the end of the fourth quarter some of us went into the music room and started jamming. The instructional book on my piano was open to "When the Saints Go Marching In" so my friend began learning to play that. I know how to play it on the guitar so I quickly taught it to my friend who was playing bass. By the time the score was a final we had a nice little jam on the song going in honor of Brees and company. Also, I was drunk, which is another New Orleans tradition, right?

Post Thanks / Like

On a Saints/guitar note... we had people over for a party saturday night. Towards the end of the fourth quarter some of us went into the music room and started jamming. The instructional book on my piano was open to "When the Saints Go Marching In" so my friend began learning to play that. I know how to play it on the guitar so I quickly taught it to my friend who was playing bass. By the time the score was a final we had a nice little jam on the song going in honor of Brees and company. Also, I was drunk, which is another New Orleans tradition, right?
    Well, it's hard to answer that actually.Not that we don't drink alot here but just like the French drink wine with meals, we do sort of have to have some alcohol for every event. However, tourists come here and carry that a bit too far. Just like the 'show your boobs for beer', that's not locals, that's the 'foreigners' who do that.
    Our little jam group does a jazzy version of that song and I have a friend who plays the 'man trumpet' which is just actually sounds he makes with his mouth that sound a little like a trumpet. Stupid actually but sounds rather nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me, as a Jets/Bucs fan, I understand that mindset.

If Ivory can get going in important yardage run situations they should be alright. Grass shouldn't be an issue for Sproles. He played on it plenty in San Diego and before that at Kansas State. What I want to see is if the Saints can stop the 49ers running attack. That will be crucial for a Saints victory. Alex Smith is having a better year than people expected from him but the Saints' chances have to be better if they force him to win with his arm rather than allowing Frank Gore to slash them up them all day long.

I agree with your analysis, Ingram being out everything will be on Ivory and Sproles as for the running. However Brees is still able to throw very well even in the outdoor situation let's hope he and Graham/Colston will be on the same page !

Great to hear that you celebrate the win by a great jam, next time try Iko. Iko from Sugarboy Crawford which is a real Mardi Gras standard in New Orleans !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    Great to hear that you celebrate the win by a great jam, next time try Iko. Iko from Sugarboy Crawford which is a real Mardi Gras standard in New Orleans !
    Oh I've played Iko Iko as well on other occasions, but the friend that I usually play that one with couldn't come, otherwise I probably would have thrown it in there as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Seems like it might be a more interesting Superbowl to me this year. Anyone know who is set to entertain? (Besides the teams). I'm pulling for the Saints and the Packers, slightly, but really just want good games with a little D thrown in. A strong Saints showing against SF and the running game would be good.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Madonna is the halftime show. Supposedly to push her upcoming (or current) tour.
    Why don't they try someone different and not so mainstream? (Yeah, Madonna is now mainstream)

I'm not sure yet if any of the AFC teams can beat the NFC teams left standing. You never know because it's the NFL!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure yet if any of the AFC teams can beat the NFC teams left standing. You never know because it's the NFL!
    New England is capable of beating any team in a shootout game. They can't play defense to save their lives, but that offense can go to score to score with anyone, and even opponents that can play defense can't figure out what to do with Gronkowski.

In other news, the Jets and Brian Schottenheimer have finally parted ways. It is however entirely possible that I've not seen the last of him with one of my teams. Marty Schottenheimer interviewed this week for the Bucs' vacant head coaching job and the papers here are saying he's now a leading candidate to get the job. If he does take the job it's possible that he would bring in Brian to be the OC.

Either way, I am glad to know for a fact that someone else will be calling the offensive plays for the Jets next season. Word is the leading candidate for the job is now-former Miami head coach Tony Sparano. I need a lot more things to change to believe the Jets will be anything other than also-rans but this is a start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Madonna is the halftime show. Supposedly to push her upcoming (or current) tour.
    Why don't they try someone different and not so mainstream? (Yeah, Madonna is now mainstream)
    She was mainstream by 1985 and the "Like a Virgin" album. Those were college years for me, and I remember the sorority girls who liked to dance being all over the earlier albums.

I am hoping for a game that is not a complete shootout, and certainly not a lopsided shut out.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I am hoping for a game that is not a complete shootout, and certainly not a lopsided shut out.
    Roger Goodell is hoping for a Patriots/Packers game. First team to score 100 points wins. With the new pass-coverage rules, that should take about three quarters. The extra time they can use to sell more commercials.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one of these coming my way, courtesy of the 10,000 bonus points I was offered for signing up for a Lions/NFL credit card. I have no intention of using it any more than for the one transaction that was required.

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Either way, I am glad to know for a fact that someone else will be calling the offensive plays for the Jets next season. Word is the leading candidate for the job is now-former Miami head coach Tony Sparano. I need a lot more things to change to believe the Jets will be anything other than also-rans but this is a start.
    I agree that sacking Shottenheimer is a good start. IMO, Rex Ryan and Snachez need to go too. I know Ryan will be back (sigh), but what are the odds of them keeping Sanchez around next season?

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently some Jets are anonymously throwing Sanchez under the bus. I wish I could find that ESPN article from the beginning of last year (I think) that said that Sanchez would be the best of that draft and that Stafford wouldn't pan out. I'm happy with Matt, thank you very much. I almost got a Stafford jersey instead of Suh. Was a close call.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...peyton-manning
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    I know Ryan will be back (sigh), but what are the odds of them keeping Sanchez around next season?
    Hard for me to say because I have little to no faith in GM Mike Tannenbaum to see that Sanchez is the problem. He is notoriously stubborn when it comes to acknowledging a draft pick hasn't worked out (see also Vernon Gholston) and is probably less likely to do so with a QB he moved up a dozen spots to get and paid $25 mil in guaranteed money.

If I had to handicap it now, I'd say the odds are 75% in favor of Sanchez at least beginning the 2012 season as the Jets' starting QB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When you're a Jet
    You're a Jet all the way
    From your first cigarette
    To your last diein' day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    When you're a Jet
    You're a Jet all the way
    From your first cigarette
    To your last diein' day
    Those Jets could take the current Rex Ryan Jets without much struggle.

I'd like to know who the anonymous Jets players are who made the critical remarks about Sanchez. I don't like that they're hiding behind anonymity. I happen to agree with the criticisms raised and would appreciate knowing which Jets see things the way that I do. It would also be interesting if the criticism is coming from guys that play different positions. If it's all WRs then it could be dismissed as guys getting upset because they didn't get enough targets and blame it on the QB. If however, it's guys on the defensive side of the ball it becomes more interesting because they have a chance to see how Sanchez reads and reacts to opposing defenses. Either way though, they should just put it on the record and stand by it. What that team needs more than anything is leadership that isn't afraid to tell the truth.

Oh and Marnold, love the Suh jersey.

Perhaps the only enjoyable thing about this Jets season for me was that I got a Revis jersey for my birthday in August and was able to wear the jersey for all 16 games. Except for the second Buffalo game, Revis had another amazing season. I haven't had a Jets hero this big since Klecko retired.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast