Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2011

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing...

When will ESPN begin talking at length about how great Dan Orlovsky is? I was under the impression that when a less-than-stellar QB comes in as a replacement and leads his team to multiple comeback wins that ESPN is supposed to talk about that QB non-stop as if he were the second coming of Johnny Unitas?

How about a little OrlovskyMania then or does it only apply to the extra-special guy in Denver that we're supposed to give all the credit to when his team wins but none of the blame when his team loses? At the very least, Orlovsky wins games with his arm like a QB is supposed to.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, congratuations to the Lions. That story is just good for football.

Not ready to talk about the Jets yet. If there was one bright spot, Revis looked phenomenal. He is fun to watch. The rest of them, they're not worthy of my time to talk about them.

The Bucs are a disaster. I liked Raheem Morris but he has to go and a LOT has to change.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

No thanks to the hapless Jets for ending the IGGLES playoff hopes. If the Giants had lost to the Jets.....after the Iggles beat the Cowboys again yesterday........the Iggles could have won the NFC East next week by beating the 'Skins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    No thanks to the hapless Jets for ending the IGGLES playoff hopes. If the Giants had lost to the Jets.....after the Iggles beat the Cowboys again yesterday........the Iggles could have won the NFC East next week by beating the 'Skins.
    Direct all complaints to Mark Sanchez and Antonio Cromartie. Those two helped the Giants yesterday as much as anybody who suited up in a Giants' uniform. Sanchez's mishaps were more visible (2 fumbles lost, 2 INTs and a safety) but Cromartie managed to show once again why he is the most over-rated player on the Jets, if not in the entire league.

There were three plays on which a Giants' runner/receiver turned what should have been a short gain into massive gains because of missed tackles. On two of those plays (including Cruz's TD) the first person to miss the tackle was Cromartie. In both cases he half-heartedly dove at the runners legs and tried to arm tackle an ankle. Needless to say both Giants jumped right over him. Cromartie is 6'1" 190 lbs. There's no excuse for him not to wrap up a runner at the waist and drive him into the ground, or at least slow him up until help arrives.

It's the way he plays corner as well. He plays a good five yards off of his receiver and then when the guy catches it he "tries" to make a tackle. It stands in stark contrast to his co-worker on the other corner who put on a clinic yesterday.

If anyone still thinks that Revis is "one of" the best CBs in the game and not hands-down the best of them all they need to watch film of his game yesterday. The guy is just unreal. He robbed several Giants' WRs yesterday of passes Manning put right in their hands only to have Revis smack their hands down the second their fingertips touched the ball. His timing is almost supernatural and he runs routes backwards as well as most WRs run them forwards. No offense to guys like Nnamdi and others who are outstanding CBs but Revis is in a league all by himself.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lions are going to the playoffs! Excuse me while I have a Christmas coronary. *happy dance*
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Direct all complaints to Mark Sanchez and Antonio Cromartie.

I've selected the finest grade of fresh dog excrement from the back yard, and will be FedEx'ing the boxes to these two gentlemen overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a report today on NFL.com that the Jets are questioning if Sanchez is the franchise QB going forward. I asked that last year but I also figured the Jets wouldn't even bring it up until next year so the early arrival of this story is a nice holiday present from the football gods.

I suspect a draft laden with QB prospects has them thinking of bringing in a kid to challenge Sanchez in camp or outright replace him. I would also like to see Greg McElroy, who they drafted this year, get a shot to challenge in camp as well. He looked good in camp then suffered a season-ending injury in the pre-season. He sure won a lot of games and a title with Alabama. I was told by ESPN that if you win a title as an SEC QB you are extra-special. I also remember the last Alabama QB to lead the Jets. His name was Joe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Watched the Pack v. the Bears tonight. Green Bay has one fine quarterback!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Green Bay has one fine quarterback!
    Best in the game right now. Probably for several years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoooo hoooooo, the Saints put a whopping on the Falcons! Really surprised me. And, Matt Ryan threw for more than Brees did to break his record. That was fun but we likely have to meet them again in 2 weeks. Can the Saints beat the Falcons 3 times in 1 year? That's the game that counts as last night only means we play at home.
    Can't wait for Sunday night to see the Dallas/Giants game. Should be a good one. And NBA started this weekend. What a great time of year to be a sports fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Can the Saints beat the Falcons 3 times in 1 year? That's the game that counts as last night only means we play at home.
    If Atlanta's coaches forget they have Michael Turner on their roster like they did last night it can definitely happen. I didn't care because I was rooting for the Saints, but I was confused by Atlanta's game plan. It's as if they just conceded from the start that the game would be a shoot-out. Unfortunately for them, they didn't bring enough bullets and Brees tore them to shreds.

I was glad to see Brees break the record particularly as I don't care much for Dan Marino. People can compare and contrast the two achievements as much as they'd like as the two played in different eras but to me there's no downplaying what Brees has accomplished. He won't win the MVP because Rodgers is throwing more TDs and the Packers are the media darlings this season, but I am sticking to my pre-season prediction that in the end, it will be Brees and the Saints that win it all this year.

Headed into next week with no cares about my two teams. The Jets aren't mathematically eliminated yet but there are so many variables that all have to play out the right way for them to sneak in the back door of the playoffs. Even if they did make it, I can't imagine this Jets team can win a playoff game at New England. I love my team and all, but that ain't happening.

My main interests this week are the Dallas/Giants game because I'd like to see Jason Pierre-Paul toss Romo around like a rag-doll and the KC/Denver game because of the possibility for Kyle Orton to rub it in the Denver organization (and fans') faces that they cut him in favor of Tebow.

Interesting how little the folks at ESPN have had to say about Tebow these last few days. It was one thing when they wrote off his loss to the Patriots because they were the mighty Patriots (despite having statistically the worst defense in NFL history). It's another entirely to ignore his 4 INTs and abysmal performance against Buffalo, a team that has virtually no secondary whatsoever.

The Tebow phenomenon was this year's Miami Wild Cat. It worked for a few weeks when they first broke it out because teams weren't ready for it. Once teams saw a few weeks worth of film they were able to figure out how to shut it down. It may have been fun for the fans for a few weeks, but it's not sustainable and given all of the hype I've had to listen to about it, I am not the least bit ashamed to say I will be rooting hard for Kyle Orton and the Chiefs to put it to rest for the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the NFL playoffs started and the Giants manhandled the Falcons and looked TOUGH....the Saints came back after a slow start and knocked off the Lions......Texans beat the Bengals..........and in a thriller; the Broncos beat the Steelers in OT.

Tebow Time yet again and he manages to win another big game with maybe the ugliest/most strain producing throwing motion to be seen in recent memory. lol Quite frankly, his throwing motion and follow-through looks more like a southpaw on a pitching mound than an NFL QB.

How soon before somebody in Denver remakes the Clapton tune "Tulsa Time" into "Tebow Time"??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post

Tebow Time yet again and he manages to win another big game with maybe the ugliest/most strain producing throwing motion to be seen in recent memory. lol Quite frankly, his throwing motion and follow-through looks more like a southpaw on a pitching mound than an NFL QB.

How soon before somebody in Denver remakes the Clapton tune "Tulsa Time" into "Tebow Time"??
    Well it might look ugly but it's damn efficient, 4 passes of more than 40 yards against the Steelers defense that's not bad even if he played at home. Now they will face another type of challenge on the road against the Pats. the last meeting didn't turn out too nice for Tebow
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

The Giants looked looked very good. For all of the talk prior to the season about how Eli Manning wasn't an "elite" QB, he sure has continued to look damn good this season.

I'd have thought Dick Lebeau would have had enough confidence in Pittsburgh's run defense that he wouldn't need to put 9 guys in the box on almost every run formation. I know Tebow is the QB one need least fear beating you with his arm, but consider the repercussions. Even a 30% passer is going to hit three out of ten throws and if his WR has only one man to beat, all three of those plays will be big plays. Credit where it's due, I criticized Tim Tebow all season, and while I stand by all of it, he made several very good throws yesterday when his team needed them. I'm not sure how he made his defense come up huge on Pittsburgh's final drive of the 4th quarter to prevent the Steelers from winning with a last second field goal attempt, but he had a great game.

One other thing about that Pittsburgh/Denver game, I was kind of appalled though not the least bit surprised to see the inconsistency of the "helmet-to-helmet" and "illegal hit on defenseless receiver" calls we've discussed before. I think there can no longer be any argument that those calls are made more predominantly against the Steelers than other teams.

Yesterday I witnessed a Broncos DB (Carter) hit a Steelers WR (I think it was Sanders but not positive) helmet-to-helmet just as he caught the ball. There were no flags. While CBS was showing the slow motion replay it was clearly an illegal hit by the standards which Goodell has demanded of the Steelers. During the replay, Phil Simms is commending Carter for the "aggressive hit." Would a flag have been thrown if James Harrison made the exact same hit?

Speaking of which, Roger Goodell owes Eric Decker an apology, or at least a Get Well Soon card. His fines levied against Harrison have the LB so concerned about not hitting high he nearly destroyed Decker's knee on a hit instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The first round of playoffs certainly had some great plays and entertaining games, as well as a few WTF moments (officials and players' mistakes). I was happy to see my Texans pull off a convincing victory without a few starters.

Next week's games look to be fairly exciting as well, especially the Saints vs the 49'ers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I was happy to see my Texans pull off a convincing victory without a few starters.
    TJ Yates looked pretty good. It helps that he has Johnson to throw to and a RB like foster to set up the passing game, but still Yates seems to understand the Kubiak/Shanahan system and is making good throws at the right time. It's not like Baltimore is looking for a shootout either. A lot of that game should come down to Arian Foster and Ray Rice and which defense can make plays.

Post Thanks / Like

Still a little ticked about things like the refs giving a bonus yard on 3rd and short and blowing the Brees fumble dead. I don't know if those plays would have changed the outcome, but it would have been nice to find out. Nevertheless, the Lions have officially come back from 0-16. I used the free points from my recently-acquired NFL/Lions credit card to get a Suh jersey. I'm sure the good folks in Green Bay will appreciate that.

Martin Mayhew for exec of the year?

Now to re-sign Avril and Tulloch and snag a couple of CBs. Maybe revisit the Cromartie-for-picks trade that fell through at the beginning of the year?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

So anyone ready to pick who's going to the Super Bowl yet? It's the NFL, anything can happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Matthew Stafford is at the top of the new crop of promising QB's. I'm sure we'll see an even more from him for years to come.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast