Thread: Let's hope I don't screw this up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's hope I don't screw this up

I've had a couple of auditions within the past week after posting a demo and ad on craigslist. The most recent one was last night, and it was for kind of a new-wave-y indie pop/rock group. Right now it's comprised of the main singer/writer/guitarist and a bassist.

I'm not so sure I aced that one. It's kind of non-straightforward music, and what I was playing was only working on one or two of the songs. We'll see about that one. It would be an interesting project, but he says he has 4 to 5 more guitarists coming in to audition next week, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

However, I have been offered a position in the other band I auditioned for, which is an 80s indie pop/rock band from...the 80s. It's basically just the original front-lady (who writes and sings all of the music) and another singer at this point. I'm apparently the first cog in the rebuilding effort, and we will be auditioning bassists next week. The music is sort of quirky and guitar-based, and usually pretty catchy.

So that's that. Neither of these groups are my dream groups, but they are both decent experience and you have to cut your teeth somewhere. I'm looking forward to the practice next week and getting some songs worked up.

Wish me luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great news, Eric! I'm sure once you get going, you'll have a great time as well as learn from the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck if you go with the 80 project. Starting from scratch with just singers can be a little more than challenging at times. Best wishes either way. Playing music is fun!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this works out well for you Eric.

There's not much more rewarding (or frustrating!) than playing with other musicians. It really opens up your playing.

Keep us posted and we'll be rooting for you.

PS - I don't know about your area, but bass players are in very short supply around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Good luck if you go with the 80 project. Starting from scratch with just singers can be a little more than challenging at times. Best wishes either way. Playing music is fun!
    I told her yes, and the main singer plays synth/keys and has a ton of experience, so I'm hoping to avoid the usual pitfalls of singers-only. I feel like she knows what she wants, so I think that will help a lot.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    PS - I don't know about your area, but bass players are in very short supply around here.
    Well, she already has two or so lined up for next week, so I'm optimistic. I actually volunteered to play bass in the band and let the other guitarist she auditioned serve as the guitarist, but she said she wants me on guitar. Time will tell, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Well, she already has two or so lined up for next week, so I'm optimistic. I actually volunteered to play bass in the band and let the other guitarist she auditioned serve as the guitarist, but she said she wants me on guitar. Time will tell, huh?
    Playing bass in a band isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Playing bass in a band isn't the worst thing that could happen.
    Oh I know! I kind of want to, actually. It would mean it's time to buy a bass rig, but I'm not opposed to that. But more than anything, I want to get out and play with some people, with some sort of purpose. More pressure than running finger exercises at home, but a lot more fun too.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, Eric! I hope everything works well for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck, Eric. Remember, if you aren't having fun then it's time to run.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

While the music selection is really important, I'd much rather be playing material that wasn't exactly 'right down my alley' with a bunch of people I really dug as compared to playing my favorite stuff with people I didn't get along all that well with ~

Your first instincts are usually correct.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OP -

"... you have to cut your teeth somewhere."

Did you know Neil Young played, early on, in Rick James' band? Doesn't that sound funky? Who knows, it might have been fun.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I would have loved to have hung out with Rick James! "Drink up! It's a celebration, b|tches!!!"
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete