Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your clothes dryer!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check your clothes dryer!

Mrs. Kat was washing and drying some clothes this morning, and we started to smell an unusual odor. I tracked it down to the dryer. Pulled the front panel off (thanks for the instructions, YouTube!), and discovered that the lint trap wasn't trapping all the lint, allowing it to get everywhere inside the dryer, particularly around the electrical connections.

I pulled mounds of black, charred lint out of the dryer. Luckily, we managed to catch it before the appliance, and our apartment, caught fire.

It seems like a silly thing, and we clean the lint trap out at the end of every load. Our dryer is a Samsung front loader model. It's supposed to be one of those efficient "green" models that uses less power to do the job.

If you've got a clothes dryer that you've had for a while (this one is about three years old), check the lint trap, and make sure that sucker is cleaned out.

I'm off to continue cleaning out the dryer before I have to go to work.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the safety tip.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip, Kat. I have a set of Kenmore W&D that I bought around 20 years ago. They've been absolutely rock-solid from day one, and I haven't had to replace even one thing on them. We do check the lint trap after every load, and there's never been any weirdness with smells...but thanks to your post, I'll be paying closer attention now.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had this problem, either. I think it may have something to do with the design of the dryer, as the lint screen is located inside the dryer, and not on top like most other models.

I'll go Kenmore again next time around. I've had quite a few troubles with this washer and dryer. Enough so that I could've just bought an entirely new set from someone else with all the money I've spent on repairs.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip! I'll add another one: replace your washer hoses with metal-braided burst-proof ones. An inexpensive "insurance policy". My brother came home to 3 inches of water in his basement once; I've been using the good hoses ever since.

Of course, you should regularly check the entire dryer vent route for buildup - it's hazardous and also increases the cost of drying a load.

I've also had good luck with Kenmore/Whirlpool appliances. Also easy to fix and find parts for.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did a good one this morning. The dryer wouldn't dry the clothes, so I pulled the heating element out. Broke that. Cussed a little to myself.

Found some more charred lint in the exhaust of the dryer, and used the vacuum cleaner to pull it out. There was a foreign object in there, which got sucked into the vacuum cleaner. Now it's broken.

Two broken appliances in the space of an hour. That's gotta be a record somewhere. Sheesh.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Two broken appliances in the space of an hour. That's gotta be a record somewhere. Sheesh.
    Well, at least you are living up to your pseudonym.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful if you put your bicycle on top of your car too. Just a heads up...in case.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Well, at least you are living up to your pseudonym.
    It's not just a pseudonym. Apparently, for me, it's a way of life. *facepalm*
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just a pseudonym. Apparently, for me, it's a way of life. *facepalm*
    Don't feel bad - my wife tells friends that she likes to be "on top" because I'm so good at f___ing up.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good tips mentioned above. I remember a few dryer lint fires that took out several apartments.

The newer dryers are more efficient due to dampness sensing, but there are no green dryers due the large amount of electricity they consume.

Post Thanks / Like

K, thanks for bringing the awareness level up. Sounds dangerous, indeed.
    I hate dryers with a passion, hug my clothesline every chance I get, and dread the day I may have to give it up...!

Did you check if they may have been a recall on the dryer, perhaps? I would bring the incident up with the manufacturer. as they may want to know about it. You did read the manual, right..?

The vac. cleaner my be just experiencing a jam, instead of a straight failure?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

No recalls that I know of... The manual is ridiculously vague. Basically it says to check the vent and vent hose to see if it's clogged. If it is, clean it out. If that doesn't fix it, call a technician.

Turns out that it was a blown fuse. I'm in the process of putting the dryer back together and seeing if the magic smoke stays in the machine. Got Anthrax playing on last.fm through the xbox right now. Perfect music for this little repair job.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

IT WORKS!

Cost: $8.66 for a new thermal fuse, and $10.79 for a multimeter. No magic smoke release.

Now, on to the vacuum cleaner that I broke.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hm. That's interesting as we've just ordered a bunch of new appliances. Good tips.

BTW I've never heard of Kenmore but here Whirlpool is cheapest there is. But it's all in the branding really - I checked and Kenmores are mostly made by Panasonic, but also LG, Bosch, Whirlpool etc...I don't think there is much to select in a brand, they are all mixed up...you could buy the exact same machine labeled whatever happens to sell well in that area I understand, and it's sold under another brand somewhere else. All you can do is check the build yourself and also cost can be a good signal. Although, we checked out some super expensive dishwashers for instance that had *plastic* water connectors etc. just like the cheapest ones, and then again some much cheaper ones that were all stainless steel. You can never tell until you see for yourself.

I just try to buy whatever is made as close to home as I can find. These days it means mostly in Germany, LOL, Miele seems to be pretty much the only brand that still makes the stuff themselves in Germany :-) but we did manage to find some fridges eetc. still made right here. Don't think they're any better but at least the buck stays close to home and not the Asia region.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kenmore is a store brand (Sears) that is made by Kenmore.

I spend quite a bit of time researching washers and dryers last year. Past brands that were once considered great have slipped in quality. Top load versus newer front loads also vary wildly within each manufacturer's line. We ended up going with a mid level LG, one of the new top dogs in front load washers.

We also have a clothes line for the ultimate energy saver!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got Anthrax playing on last.fm through the xbox right now. Perfect music for this little repair job.
    "Fabulous Disaster" by Exodus would have been a good match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wikpedia says it's just a brand, not a manufacturer per se...Sears brand yeah but made by whatever gives the best bid I presume:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenmore_Appliances
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    "Fabulous Disaster" by Exodus would have been a good match.

That was a great album! Didn't it have the Lowrider cover? I still think their lowrider is the best one.
    Dee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast