Thread: volume swells, pedal or volume knob?

Post Thanks / Like

Default volume swells, pedal or volume knob?

Hi

I love using my volume swell alot - some people have suggested that I can do what I do with a volume pedal too... what's yr preferences?

Here's a jam using volume swells and slap back delay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAK929gAAQ

Post Thanks / Like

I love the way you are doing the volume swells with your right hand. That's a great sound you're getting! I've never had a guitar where the volume knob is in an easy-enough position to use it in this way. But I can see huge benefits in being able to do it this way. Currently, I use a volume pedal to do my swells but I'd never be able to use it fast enough to get these sounds that you're getting. Very cool! You have inspired me!

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

I have pretty small hands and have never had an easy time doing volume swells with the knob. I use volume pedals almost exclusively. I'm also a pedal steel player so a volume knob isn't even an option. I use a Goodrich volume pedal with my steel and either an Ernie Ball or Morley Little Alligator for six string.
    Patrick

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have toyed with the idea of a volume pedal but I am always turned off by the string they have to activate them.
    Are there any issues with this? Also what would be a good pedal to get?
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    I have toyed with the idea of a volume pedal but I am always turned off by the string they have to activate them.
    My only experience is with an Ernie Ball Jr. It works well and I got it for $50 off of craigslist, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. It's added weight and I don't find myself using it all that much after I get dialed in. I'm going to give it some play in live situations and see how I feel after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Ernie Ball volume pedal also. I've had it on my pedal board for a few months now after my older DeArmond pedal started breaking down.
    The Ernie Ball pedal works great.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    I haven't had any problems with the string. I've heard it's made of kevlar. My Morley has no string and I like it's sound better than the Ernie Ball. The Morley, being active, doesn't cut the highs when you back off the volume like the Ernie Ball does. My favorite, of the volume pedals I have, is the Goodrich. It's swells are really linear and it has a low-profile design.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried it a bit with the knobs but I feel I have more control when I use the pedal.
    I have a Digitech multi-effects unit but most of the effects I use are built in to my amp I wind up mostly using that pedal as a volume pedal.
    Of course, I don't always bring that pedal with me if I play away from home so I'm trying to get smoother at doing it with the knobs.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used a Volume Pedal to get swells and for steel licks. I either use an Edwards 120, or the internal pedal in my Vox Yonelab SE.
    www.myspace.com/reubenadkins

"Your label could be here"...........Danny Gatton