Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NGD finally an Agile!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD finally an Agile!

Well the big brown truck just left. I ordered a guitar on Wednesday morning at 7 a. m. and it was delivered today at 6 pm. I am in Maine on vacation and the company was Rondo Music. I had heard so much about the Agiles being so great I had to find out for myself.
    I had heard that they are very heavy so I decided to try one of their lightweight chambered guitars.
    I am a big fan of Chambered guitars as I have two Gibsons that are chambered.
    I ordered the 3125 in Honey Sunburst finish with a flame top. It has the Tusq nut and saddles, and the ebony board. Triple binding and full trapezoid inlays. I ordered the Douglas brown case as well.
    So far I tuned it up and it plays quite well. The strings sound very "accoustic like" so I don't know if it is the tusq nut or the strings themselves. They are D'addrios but what type I don't know.
    I didn't bring an amp so I borrowed a Line6 and it is totaly new to me. I will have some time tomorrow to tweak it and see how it sounds. The pickup height needs adjusting as well.
    As for the chambered body the guitar feels really light. About the same as my Chambered Gibsons.
    The fit and finish are flawless, and I am sure that with a good set up and some tweaking it will be a very nice guitar.
    It was a no brainer for me as the Canadian dollar is 1.06, and no tax. The shipping from Rondo in NH was scary fast. I had the same experience with them when I order just the Douglas case whiile I was here in April
    I had expected the Agile to fit perfectly in the Douglas case but it fits just about the same as the Gibson/Epis that I have. The guitar does not fit tight. It is a good looking well made case though.
    Overall I am very happy with the purchase and I can only see it getting better.
    The color is very nice as well.
    I will post some pictures when I get home.
    This is the one.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/al3125hsbf.html
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Woot!
    Can't wait, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Welcome to the club, Brian! I would change those strings soon, though. They tend to be pretty corroded from the climate in Korea. I've had some exceptions, though. The HSBF is probably my favorite finish at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of yours!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Congrats. I'm really curious how those chambered guitars are at gig volume. I know they'll be nicer on the back for sure. My Agile with P90s is the heaviest guitar I own. Can't wait to hear more from you on this one.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. It'll be nice to see some pics of that bad boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I have borrowed a Line6 Spider IV 15. I downloaded the manual and I will try to get some decent tones out of it.
    The guitar seems to be very well made, as any of my Korean made guitars are. I came very unprepared. I don't even have a guitar strap or picks with me. I had not inteneded to buy the guitar but at the last minute decided it would be a good time to do it. If I get some time today I will try to load up some pictures. Otherwise it will be next Thursday before pics.
    It does look exactly like the picture on the web site. It also has Mother of Pearl inlays. Quite a lot of upgrades for a budget guitar, and the fact that it is Chambered is a bonus! More to come.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy congrats!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Coool!!

The Agiles that I've played don't sound or feel like budget guitars in the least.

Sean's new AL2K is probably one of the nicest guitars that I've ever played.

I think you'll really enjoy that one a lot.

If I should ever replace my Epi, it will almost certainly be with an Agile.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a really nice looking guitar that I'm sure you will have a lot to say about over time.

Even though it is priced like a guitar that you can be more casual with how you handle it; such as leaving it out, on the stand, etc., it still is really nice and it almost begs to be taken well care of. Also, if that baby falls the mahogany neck on it will snap quicker than you can say the word. I'm sure you will take excellent care of it and make sure nothing happens.

If you ever snapped the neck on a mahogany neck guitar, it changes the way you handle them forever.

Looking forward to seeing that really cool looking guitar and I bet the pictures will look way better than the file photo on the website. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the stock pickups when you get home and play it for a while on your main amps. I like my stock pickups on my 3100 and plan on leaving them in. I especially like the neck pickup tone. I wonder sometimes if the "muddiness" you hear people talking about when it comes to neck pickups is just a characteristic of the more warm, rhythm sound that they are supposed to produce. I'm going to have to play my guitar with my Seymour Duncan Jazz neck pickups some more and see if I'm starting to appreciate the sound more now that I have had more experience with neck humbuckers and playing in general. Seems like I can get some great tones out of a lot of guitars now that didn't sound that great to me not that long ago.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I wonder sometimes if the "muddiness" you hear people talking about when it comes to neck pickups is just a characteristic of the more warm, rhythm sound that they are supposed to produce.
    I wonder the same thing sometimes. I typically use the neck for slower, more ringing single-note lines, not for faster melodies or driving chords. I think that as with most guitar equipment, if you use something in the "wrong" way (quotes because it's all subjective, so there's technically no wrong) you might end up saying it's bad even if it's doing its job admirably.

Then again, I don't have tons of experience with a lot of guitars, so it could be I just don't have the perspective, but I find stock neck pickups to usually be kind of nice for certain parts.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great looking top on that guitar. Congrats and enjoy it!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Guys but I have been having trouble logging on to the Fret. It keeps asking me to log on every time I move from one screen to another. I will do some pictures when I get home on Thursday. I guess it doesn't like the fact that I am on my daughters computer.
    I haven't had a lot of time to play since i am on vacation.
    What I have found with my Gibsons with the chambered bodies is that they usually sound much brighter on the neck pickup, than the more solid body Les Pauls. That is one of the things I like most about the chambered guitars, other than the very light weight for an LP. This one says it is 8 lbs and it feels even lighter.
    I forgot to mention that the guitar came very well packed. It was inside the case with a foam bag that covered the entire guitar and the neck and headstock were wrapped with the foam so that there would be no movement at all in the case and good vibration absorption.
    I will have some time today to test it out.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

I am home now from Maine and I plugged my new Agile into my Vibro Champ, and all I can say it wow. I thought it might need a set up but through a decent amp it sounds amazing. I will get some pic up ASAP. I can see what all the fuss was about. They are quite exceptional guitars.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

What's that like when you roll off the volumes? Does it stay bright and crisp or do the highs roll off. BTW this sounds like a really sweet LP style guitar. I think my Agile weights 12 pounds.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I find this thread to be interesting just because of the difference in how the guitar is perceived by switching from a Spider IV to a Vibro Champ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I find this thread to be interesting just because of the difference in how the guitar is perceived by switching from a Spider IV to a Vibro Champ.
    Eric This is my opinion, but I did not like the Spider IV 15 at all. The tone was terrible. I took some time out from unpacking to give it a quick few minutes, on my Vibro Champ. It sounded really sweet and it was like night and day.
    I will have more time tomorrow and will give it a good work out. But to say the least you couldn't give me the Spider IV.
    Spudman I will check the volume and get back to you.
    Update"
    I finally got to play it upright with a strap and guess what. It is slightly neck heavy.
    I compared it to my Gibson Classic GT with the chambered body and the body is slightly heavier on the Gibson and the neck slightly lighter.
    It is the opposite with the Agile. I tried my wide leather strap on it and it works perfectly.
    The volume controls are very nice and it has an excellent ring to it. I have never owned a quitar with a Graph tec Black tusk nut and the Graph Tec ResoMax NVS2 bridge with the Graphite string saver saddles. I looked them up and they are 14 dollars for the nut and 99 bucks for the bridge if bought separately from Graph tec. They really seem to add a lot to the tone and resonance of the strings.
    The D'addario strings help as well. They feel like heavy 10s to me.
    The neck heaviness may be an issue for some but the over all weight is perfect for an LP.
    It really holds up well to my Gibson, and the price difference of 1550 dollars makes it very desirable.
    I haven't opened up the cavity to see what the controls look like but the guitar is very responsive to tone and volume adjustments and I have no complaints there.
    I raised the neck pickup a touch and that cleaned it up considerably. So far I am really impressed.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    Eric This is my opinion, but I did not like the Spider IV 15 at all. The tone was terrible. I took some time out from unpacking to give it a quick few minutes, on my Vibro Champ. It sounded really sweet and it was like night and day.
    Oh right -- I realize that, and I wasn't accusing you. It's just curious to me how much an amp can influence one's opinion of a guitar, and it's doubly interesting that these two amps are probably considered contemporaries by some.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I ws under the impression that that amp was a decent amp. I had it for a couple of days. I downloaded an manual so I could tweak it but I didn't have much luck. The little Vibro Champ XD is so easy to use and has amazing tone. I play all of my guitars through it, so when I plugged the Agile in I knew what to expect, and it came through with flying colors.
    When I am comparing it to 2000 dollar Gibbies and even my #1 guitar my SG, it sounded amazing. The action is really well done right out of the box.
    Truthfully when I turned on the Vibro Champ for the first time I actually thought I had left my Marshall on, and had to double check where my cord was plugged in. The Line 6 couldn't even approach that.
    It was kind of funny how I was a little down on the guitar when I heard it through the Line 6, so you are correct the amp did make a huge difference in my appraisal of the guitar. It is all about the sound!
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    I will have more time tomorrow and will give it a good work out. But to say the least you couldn't give me the Spider IV.
    Spudman I will check the volume and get back to you.
    Update"
    I finally got to play it upright with a strap and guess what. It is slightly neck heavy.
    I compared it to my Gibson Classic GT with the chambered body and the body is slightly heavier on the Gibson and the neck slightly lighter.
    It is the opposite with the Agile. I tried my wide leather strap on it and it works perfectly.
    The volume controls are very nice and it has an excellent ring to it. I have never owned a quitar with a Graph tec Black tusk nut and the Graph Tec ResoMax NVS2 bridge with the Graphite string saver saddles. I looked them up and they are 14 dollars for the nut and 99 bucks for the bridge if bought separately from Graph tec. They really seem to add a lot to the tone and resonance of the strings.
    The D'addario strings help as well. They feel like heavy 10s to me.
    The neck heaviness may be an issue for some but the over all weight is perfect for an LP.
    It really holds up well to my Gibson, and the price difference of 1550 dollars makes it very desirable.
    I haven't opened up the cavity to see what the controls look like but the guitar is very responsive to tone and volume adjustments and I have no complaints there.
    I raised the neck pickup a touch and that cleaned it up considerably. So far I am really impressed.
    In there you'll find the ubiquitous full-sized Alpha pots and those lovely chicklet caps. The pots are fine, I've never had any issues with any of mine. The chicklet cap, I'd replace. I believe Kurt specs .047 caps in those for some reason. If you like the tone though, maybe just roll with it.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast