Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Squier VC 50s Returned - New Build Esquire Takes Its Place

Thread: Squier VC 50s Returned - New Build Esquire Takes Its Place

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier VC 50s Returned - New Build Esquire Takes Its Place

First, I just want to emphasize that my returning the Squier Classic Vibe had nothing to do with build quality (or lack of) - it is a damn fine guitar at any price point. However, I had planned to do a lot of customizing to it and found myself short on time and desire to self-mod.

I ended up returning the Squier and had a partscaster built for me by Rob DiStefano of frettech. The guitar was built with the following parts:

• GFS cream body
    • Allparts tmo-fat neck
    • Cavalier lion bridge pickup
    • CTS pots
    • CRL 3-way switch
    • Electrosocket jack
    • Bone nut
    • Wilkinson bridge w/compensated brass saddles
    • Gotoh deluxe vintage tuners
    • Black guard

Rob's hand assembled, custom wound Cavalier pickups are amazing sounding. I opted for a reverse control plate for the build and it is wired as follows:

Switch engaged all the way forward (towards neck) = full open pickup, no tone (bypassed)
    Switch engaged in the middle = tone engaged
    Switch engaged all the way back (towards bridge) = cocked wah (sounds fantastic with distortion)

The guitar is extremely light and very acoustic sounding unplugged. I've never had a guitar this light and even with the fat neck (finished beautifully by Rob in a nice amber tint) it is not top heavy and feels great. I'm amazed at the build and attention to detail. I'm also amazed at the amount of tonal variations to be had in a single pickup guitar!

Anyway, the short of it is I finally got an Esquire fix and did so with specs of my choosing and the end result is just fantastic. I cannot emphasize enough as to how much I like Rob's pickups. In fact, I am getting a "tiger" Strat set installed into my JV to replace the stock Tex-Mex pickups. But that's another story.

Here's some eye candy for you.

Sound clips to follow.

Edit: Seems I typo'd the title of the thread. Should be CV not VC.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Looks like a fun little guitar. I want to hear the 3rd position -- not sure what 'cocked wah' means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, have a listen...

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, stingx! It looks like a real beauty.

Now go play the snot outta that sucker!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! I keep thinking a mod project would be really fun, but never find the time. Yours seemed to turn out very well!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Almost complete. I've added the waterslide and vintage nickle screws. I have since decide to swap back to a black, vintage, single-ply 5-hole pickguard. I should be able to call this one done by Friday when the guard arrives.

-Pete