Thread: Trade Tang Gibsun Les Paul Supreme - order review

Hybrid View

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Any tech worth his salt should be able to fix it. If you looked down the neck did it seem fairly flat and level with no twists?
    If it is badly warped that is the only thing they might not be able to fix. Also if the neck is not set in correctly they might have a problem. The overall look of the guitar does not look like a shoddy piece, so it will probably be fixable.
    I recently purchased an Agile 3125 chambered light weight for 543 shipped to Maine, no tax or duties, with a Douglas brown case with the shroud. The chambered body was priced at a 50 dollar premium over the normal Agile.
    So a normal agile with case would be around 500. If you get the guitar playing good for under 100 you are still in the Ball Park.
    As far as Getting a tech to do the wiring, sometimes that can be just as bad. I had a tech do a pickup swap on my Gibby Classic. I used the RS guitarworks kit. The tech was on auto pilot, and didn't realize the RS kit has specific pots for each location. They are clearly marked on the pot in magic marker. It came back with a loud hum. I called RS and they asked for a pic of the set up. They immediately saw the problem. To say the least my guy is a very good tech and his red face was priceless. This was his first RS kit, so I will give him that. Now it works and sounds amazing.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    The tech was on auto pilot, and didn't realize the RS kit has specific pots for each location.
    This drives me crazy with most guitar repair shops, and why I don't always trust them to do a good job. They tend to go on auto pilot and don't actually put any detail into making your guitar right. Actually, I should qualify that: usually the lead guy is very competent, but his underlings don't know/don't care, and it's almost like auto pilot is the only option. Drives me nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This drives me crazy with most guitar repair shops, and why I don't always trust them to do a good job. They tend to go on auto pilot and don't actually put any detail into making your guitar right. Actually, I should qualify that: usually the lead guy is very competent, but his underlings don't know/don't care, and it's almost like auto pilot is the only option. Drives me nuts.
    Maybe they take on too much work for a fast turnaround. My tech use to play bass with Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) and always comes up trumps, he can talk for hours about Strats, but no too keen on Gibson or Gibsuns....

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It took me years to find a person who actually listened to what I was asking for and come through with it.
    I would say this guy is the best I have ever seen in setting up a guitar. The detail he goes to is really amazing. So you can understand when this happened I was totally shocked. Darren gave me 3 sets of D'Addarios and a free set up on my next guitar because I had to make the 20 mile trip twice. They are really good to me.
    I have however been to "Bubba" and it was worse than before. His answer to my complaint was "it is only a Squier what do you expect." I gave it to Darren and it is one of the best playing Strats I own now.
    I think you have to be a true "player" to realize what a guitars potential can be and should be with a little TLC.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.