Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Trade Tang Gibsun Les Paul Supreme - order review
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Tang Gibsun Les Paul Supreme - order review

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trade Tang Gibsun Les Paul Supreme - order review

Price paid - $360 to Trade Tang, but an additional $30.43 was levied by customs I had to pay at pickup. Total Cost: $391

I decided to see what the fuss was about and ordered an obviously counterfeit Gibson Les Paul Supreme w/ hardcase from Dave @ TradeTang. I could never afford or justify the real thing but I love the looks, ebony fretboard, inlays, etc. Which of us hasn't looked at such an instrument and not desired it?? So I know it's a fake and I know I'm not going to get anywhere near the quality of a real Gibson but I was hoping to get what would be considered a high end Epiphone LP clone but take Epiphone out of the equation and save some $$$ at the same time.

Ordering - I was nervous about ordering from China using a credit card. Trade Tang avoids this by allowing buyers to use PayPal. This way they have no access to your actual credit card information. I felt safe paying this way and being able to file a complaint on PP or contest the charge on the card just in case. There was a problem with being redirected to Trade Tang's website after I paid with PayPal. I was a bit worried about it until I saw they had confirmed my payment after just a couple of hours. Overall the ordering process was ok.

Confirmations/Shipping - I received multiple emails indicating changes in status to my order. I paid on August 4th and got the shipping notice the same day. However just because I got a tracking number didn't mean it had actually been picked up by the shipper. It did not show up in the EMS's tracking system until the 7th. It arrived in customs Aug 12th, and first attempted delivery was Aug. 16th. So 12 days from payment to my door. Not fast but it is coming from 1/2 way around the world so I was OK with the time and that I got decent tracking updates via the EMS web site and USPS website.

Now - on to the guitar

Packaging
    Packaging was intact and decent. It's basically a styrofoam box taped together. It survived the trip quite well and was thick enough to provide plenty of protection.

Here's the case out of the packing - covered in a bag. Had some Gibson stuff on the case.

Case open - some packing on the guitar:

Here's some pics of the body - there is some noticable flaws in the flame on the back, they look like scuffs. Some of the artifacts in the pic are from the flash

Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Headstock - there a flaw on the top left tuning peg - it's not a chip but a dip in the wood

And here's a couple pics of the neck - is that an ebony board? I can't tell - maybe someone can chime in

Play Report
    Only had a few minutes before I had to get back into the office. Everything is functional, however I noticed that neck is pretty straight and the nut appears to be well cut but the action is still high. The bridge is pretty much down to the body. It clearly needs a setup which I'll have to do tonight. Frets actually appear to be seated well and the neck appears even to the eye.

Guitar played pretty good - no complaints through my Mustang I. There is some microphonic feedback if you hit the body with your hand. I'm guessing that's the pickups. If so the pickups would be worse than Epiphone pickups.

Overall
    Well considering the price I think I got an OK guitar. $390 for a guitar with a hardshell case included is cheap these days - just a bit more than a Squier CV Squier with no case! The guitar looks as good as many Epiphone LP's I've owned and I think that with the inlays and ebony (??) an Epi would be much more expensive. It'll need some work for sure but I think it's very close to being a very good player.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

It would seem that if the action is high and the bridge is nearly bottomed out, the neck angle is slightly off. A setup can't fix that. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    It would seem that if the action is high and the bridge is nearly bottomed out, the neck angle is slightly off. A setup can't fix that. Good luck.
    This is true - I tweaked the truss rod a bit before heading back into work and I noticed that the action was not high on all strings. The high E is bad - I mean WAY high but it's the cut at the nut. I'm hesitant to ding it without a proper setup. I will have to take this to the local luthier and what they can do.

I am certainly not WOW'd by the guitar out of the box - but I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with it IE improper neck angle.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

It looks to me from the streaking on the fretboard that it may be dyed rosewood. If so, no biggie, plenty of guitar companies use "ebonized" fretboards. The "dip" in the headstock is a little wierd... sanding error, perhaps?

The real Supremes are supposed to be chambered, and while feedback resistant, are definitely not feedback proof.

I suspect the cause of your setup issue is the nut was cut way too high... Any problems with fretting notes on the first three frets?

Like most that have bought Chinese "Gibsuns", a new nut, setup, and electronics will turn 'er into a player.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    It looks to me from the streaking on the fretboard that it may be dyed rosewood. If so, no biggie, plenty of guitar companies use "ebonized" fretboards. The "dip" in the headstock is a little wierd... sanding error, perhaps?

The real Supremes are supposed to be chambered, and while feedback resistant, are definitely not feedback proof.

I suspect the cause of your setup issue is the nut was cut way too high... Any problems with fretting notes on the first three frets?

Like most that have bought Chinese "Gibsuns", a new nut, setup, and electronics will turn 'er into a player.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do!
    I was thinking the same thing about the fretboard...kinda bugs me because I am definitely a fan of ebony boards and had an Epi LP that had a real ebony board it was a great. Part of the reason I wanted this one so disappointed there. But rosewood is my 2nd favorite wood over maple so it's not a big deal.

I think I'm going to try my hand at deepening the nut slots on the high strings this evening. I'm aware of all the pitfalls with making sure to not mess up the intonation at the first fret etc. I can always just get a new nut if I mess it up.

It most likely is chambered - I'll take the back cover off tonight and check the electronics as well.

I have another LP to show you all but it's not quite ready - some vintage goldtop guitar pron for the board but I had to get a new neck pickup (delivered this afternoon) and get it installed.

Double LP NGD hopefully by the end of the day
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post
    This is true - I tweaked the truss rod a bit before heading back into work and I noticed that the action was not high on all strings. The high E is bad - I mean WAY high but it's the cut at the nut. I'm hesitant to ding it without a proper setup. I will have to take this to the local luthier and what they can do.

I am certainly not WOW'd by the guitar out of the box - but I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with it IE improper neck angle.
    Hopefully, it'll end up with acceptable action, but I think it's fair to begin concluding that the guitar was not manufactured with a great deal of precision, considering the flaws you've reported thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool -- thanks for the early review. It's definitely a pretty guitar. Happy new guitar day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless there is a definite design flaw, a good tech will have it playing like a dream. I have purchased many guitars that were ugly ducklings out of the box but became swans after my tech got a hold of it.
    I would guiess, neck reliefe, saddles, and nut could be adjusted. The only lower end guitar that I have purchased that was really perfect out of the box was the Agile 3126 Korean made.
    The neck looks very similar to my "Ebony" board on the Agile.
    I am pretty impressed with the case. You really don't get too many with the combo lock and double neck supports for that kind of money. Hell the case is worth a 100 a least.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Uhhh...did the lack of an access panel go by everyone including me?? lol! How does one access the electronics in this guitar??

EDIT: Apparently this was a design goal...pickup cavities??
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post
    Uhhh...did the lack of an access panel go by everyone including me?? lol! How does one access the electronics in this guitar??

EDIT: Apparently this was a design goal...pickup cavities??
    Um.... oops! Now what?

Post Thanks / Like

It is a fallacy that all ebony is completely black. Even really expensive pieces can have brown streaks in it. If it is real ebony, I'm sure it's the cheapest piece they could find which would make the coloring inconsistent at best.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    It is a fallacy that all ebony is completely black. Even really expensive pieces can have brown streaks in it. If it is real ebony, I'm sure it's the cheapest piece they could find which would make the coloring inconsistent at best.
    You are absolutely right, marnold... I've seen some beautiful ebony boards on Warmoth's site with chocolate brown figuring.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

So any word from the tech? I hope you can get it to play to your liking without too much trouble and cost. It certainly looks nice in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    You are absolutely right, marnold... I've seen some beautiful ebony boards on Warmoth's site with chocolate brown figuring.
    Yes, Marnold and Kat are correct. Having bought thousands of violins with ebony fingerboards and fittings this is indeed so. It's hard to tell exactly from the picture but it seems likely to be ebony. If it was rosewood you would know it even if it was stained. The grain texture is very different.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks really good. Do you think those are real Grover tuners? And what about the pups, any indication as to what they might be?

Regarding setup, I bought a second hand Epiphone Zakk Wylde LP and had the frets leveled. After replacing the stock EMG Hz
    with some Seymour Duncan Blackouts the guitar plays awesome. My first Epiphone (Ultra II) also needed some fret work but
    I sold it. So even name brands aren't without their faults.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Um.... oops! Now what?
    Turns out the real LP Supremes are made same way. I'm guessing you have to work through the pup cavities.

I took the guitar to the luthier I use - I'm very concerned the action will not be able to be corrected. They're going call me in a day or two and let me know what they can do w/ it.

Hope I'm not stuck with a $390 POS....but I guess I knew that was a possibility when I ordered.

I keep the tread updated with the results.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Can't really expect everything to be top quality when it is only a few hundred dollars. Given that, the guitar looks quite decent. One of the pictures showing the tuners from the back make them look like they are tarnished. I'm guessing that's not really the case.

One thing these Chinese copy don't do is to have the neck binding go over the fret ends. That's one easy way to identify the fakes.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

The lack of a control cavity is one of the major drawbacks of the Supreme. You have to be a good "Fisherman" if you want to change anything or repair. I have seen them do the 335s through the F holes so a pickup cavity should be a breeze right. Not so sure. It will be interesting to see if they can fix the action. You may have just purchased a really nice looking slide guitar!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    The lack of a control cavity is one of the major drawbacks of the Supreme. You have to be a good "Fisherman" if you want to change anything or repair. I have seen them do the 335s through the F holes so a pickup cavity should be a breeze right. Not so sure. It will be interesting to see if they can fix the action. You may have just purchased a really nice looking slide guitar!
    I changed pickups in a Delta King and an Epi DOT through the F-holes. Took a lot of patience and time. Honestly I think I'm done doing my own electronics. I just spent 2 1/2 hours trying to fix this new 70's era LP (pics once it's working ) which has vintage wiring...didn't really think that'd be very difficult but it's not working and I'm tired of screwing with it. I'm going to take it with me when I pick up the Gibsun and have them fix it for me lol!

And I don't play slide lol - so if I'm stuck with the high action I'll try to get rid of it or just hang it on the wall.
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast