Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NBD(S)! ESP LTD Surveyor 414
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBD(S)! ESP LTD Surveyor 414

Post Thanks / Like

Default NBD(S)! ESP LTD Surveyor 414

NBD(S) meaning: New Bass Day (Soon)

As discussed in this thread I was thinking about replacing the pickups in my bass. The two EMGs I wanted were going to end up in the vicinity of $200. That would, of course, include pots, jack, etc. Then I came across this ESP LTD Surveyor 414 on Musician's Friend. It has The EMG 35P4 pickup I was looking for at the neck (which is their P-bass pickup in a soapbar) and the EMG MMTW in the bridge. That is their Music Man pickup with the extra feature that if you "coil tap" it then it becomes their J-bass pickup in a soapbar. Pretty cool and flexible. Plus it comes with EMG's B30 preamp which has bass, treble, and mid boost/cut. For whatever reason they are blowing them out for $299. The list price was $999. I think it's because the new ones are in stock. FWIW, they are selling the new one, which seems to be EXACTLY the same for $769. Also FWIW, the bass is made in Korea.

I asked my dear wife about it last night and got the go-ahead. I was actually looking at getting the one with the transparent blue finish but by time I went to order last night they were sold out. I like the au natural look too. That does mean that I'll have to sell my Spector but I don't think that'll be an issue. I'm pretty excited about it. I suppose now that I have a bass with an MM pickup, I'm going to need to learn some Louis Johnson licks.

I just got word that it shipped, so I imagine it will be here on Monday. At that point I'll post pics and clips. For now, you can read Bass Guitar magazine's review of an earlier version that is just like it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it. Congrats -- I hope it's a good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh cool!!

I had an ESP very briefly and returned it for an Ibanez SR500. It was a very good quality bass, but it had a 35-inch scale that I couldn't live with.

This one you ordered is 34 and so should be close to what you're used to on the Spector.

I really like the PU combo.

That's an incredible deal for a swamp ash body and that electronic package!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    I really like the PU combo.

That's an incredible deal for a swamp ash body and that electronic package!
    I know! That's why I abandoned the upgrade plan. It's not that my Spector is a bad bass--it's not. It's just that I can't get the pickups to produce the same cool acoustic tone it has. With a swamp ash body and a maple fretboard it should be somewhat brighter than my basswood/rosewood Spector. Active controls will help as well.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I know! That's why I abandoned the upgrade plan. It's not that my Spector is a bad bass--it's not. It's just that I can't get the pickups to produce the same cool acoustic tone it has. With a swamp ash body and a maple fretboard it should be somewhat brighter than my basswood/rosewood Spector. Active controls will help as well.
    With the active EQ and PU combinations, that one should have a heap of great tones on tap!

BTW - I really like swamp ash for basses.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Congrats, man!

I can't wait to see pics of your new bass.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

THAT is the most natural looking bass I've ever seen! congrats!
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With the active EQ and PU combinations, that one should have a heap of great tones on tap!

BTW - I really like swamp ash for basses.
    +1 Excellent combo for all kinds of tones.

HNBD, Marnold!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new rumble stick. It sounds like a pretty good instrument. I'm interested in the report.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I really dig the natural finish on guitars and basses. I kind of remember the blue you were going to get, and that was cool too, but I'll almost always vote for natural.

On a semi-related topic, whenever I see/hear swamp ash referenced, my brain always thinks of "swamp ***."
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Very excellent Marnold. The Natural looks mighty fine as well. I was, I'll admit, quite taken aback at the blue one with the maple board.

I would love to have a bass with active EMG pickups and that combination is quite excellent. This should rig up with your Acoustic quite well indeed. I'm thinking that is going to be a great natural sounding combination that produces some tones that will build milestones in your personal history.

So you have a bass multipedal? I have the Zoom B2.1u with usb direct to tthe computer for recording, which is cool. It is a decent bass pedal but I'm sure there are nicer ones out there. Charity's nephew picked up a Line six big old multipedal with lots of controls, etc. My Zoom will work for now, but maybe someday I'll get a better one. I have my Fender P bass with flatwounds out tonight and I like it, but my new Ibanez SR500 sits close at hand with it's own tonal brew just waiting to be unleashed.

My Fender Rumble 100 is not a bedroom slouch and is well made and produces decent tones, but I can imagine upgrading to a twelve inch Workingmans Pro SWR or something else with a lot more potential. I need to try out one of those decent sized Acoustics at GC one of these days. I'm also concerned about those Ampegs they have by me which, some of which, sound real impressive. They also have a bunch of Hartke's as well. Competition and new models might conspire with the Labor Day sales to reveal some half way decent deals. Times may change by then, as predicted, and another tube guitar amp might be in line, like a BS Club 40 or something. I played a Stage 60 yesterday and it was like a big brother to the Club 40, sporting some of the same sharp features.I played a few Schecters that felt a little weak but then settled into a spalted top Michael Kelly Patriot LTD with direct mount Rockfields that hit the mark with the Stage 60 but I had to pass it off to a dude I met and had to roll unexpectedly. I hope he found it as inspiring as me.

They also have a few decent basses I want to check out, like two Schecters in deep wine curly maple and flammed with soapbars; and also a G&L 1200 with three mini toggles that I'd like to experiment with. The bass amps are big with ostentatiously featured preamp tue designs but not much in terms of tone. I think have one demure looking bass amp that doesn't draw any attention that actually sounds real good. They also have a antique burst Fender five string active J bass, used, on sale that is not unimpressive. Maybe I'll go over there today. This place is more of your "uptown" type of music store that caters to the old time so called "high class" element of big money piano purchasing segments of the enclave. Ironically their main salesman is a baby boomer long haired hippie guitar salesman and local bluesman of some pereminence and renown known as the "Kahuna", after which a limited edition Heritage LP copy model is named.

Anyway, that should be a bass of some beauty and significance, and considering the good work it will be put to in your hands, some true magnificance. Well I hope so anyway, and if the past is any indicator of the present I'm sure it will be put to good use; whether or not anyone but you notices its significance is probably inconsequential. But if this beauty keeps you going and drives deep into your musical veins to bring forth even more of your soul, it will have cranked out some mojo that most basses can only inertly dream of.

Seriously though, I hope this bass lives up to your greatest expectations and is a key that unlocks yet unopened volumes of your soul, and brings you and your congregation much happiness and eases sorrow. Isn't it awesome that music often transcends the mundane and draws forth the whole range of human emotion and spirituality, and does it with a sometimes breathtaking beauty and appropriateness that can only have come from God?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

that looks great never played a bass with EMG'S.
    enjoy love that look too my T-40 is all natural to love that look on a bass.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...ic-bass-guitar

Is this the one you decided to get after the blue one sold out?

Mighty nice bass and active pickups too.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Martin Luther said, "Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." Hard to argue with brother Martin.

That's the right bass, Duffy. It should be here tomorrow on ye olde big brown truck. I don't really need any effects, just a little overdrive on occasion.

It comes strung with SIT nickel strings in the gauge I prefer. It'll give me a chance to compare those to the DR Hi Beams I've been using.

Post Thanks / Like

And we wait with baited breath...

Post Thanks / Like

I was doing a bunch of searches on it in lieu of actually having it in hand. It has a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles. I guess I should expect little touches like that on a bass with an MSRP of a grand. I also noticed that it is a top-loader like my Spector. I've also got a spare 9 volt ready in case of just such an emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally read the review of it that you posted.

Should be an incredible bass and a complete steal at that price!

Shoot, if didn't already have enough basses around, I'd jump on one of these too.

I can't wait to see the pics and get a tone report.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see the pics and get a tone report.
    Tell me about it. Every engine I hear sounds like a brown truck

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's the first pictures. No, the focus is not the turtle sandbox or the hose, Spud.

I took the cavity covers off so you could see the wiring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast