Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like I'm gonna have to start taking better care of myself...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looks like I'm gonna have to start taking better care of myself...

Went to the doc today for a cold and a plugged up left ear... Got kind of a wake up call.

BP was in the 150s over 90s, weight over 200 lbs. (I'm 5'7"), heart rate at 45 bpm (which wouldn't be a bad thing if I was an athlete, but I'm not), and the doc tells me that my heart was occaisionally skipping beats. I'm 39 years old.

Crap, crap, crappity crap!

Luckily, my ticker started keeping good time again before I left, and I was advised to meet with a cardiologist.

So, looks like I'm gonna have to get my sorry, unhealthy arse in shape.

Caffeine is gone.
    High sodium foods are gone.
    High fat and cholesterol foods are gone.

Regular excercise is in my immediate future.

Looks like I'll be eating broccoli with a side of air for my meals now. **sigh**

On a motorcycle forum I used to belong to before I came here, one of the members posted a thread so people could track their weight loss. I joined in, and lost 48 lbs. by the time I was done. Kept the weight off for several years, too, before my eating habits took a nosedive.

If I posted a thread like that, would anyone be interested in joining in?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Man turning forty was really tough on me (41 now)....BP 175/120! 240 lbs., 5'11" here. Started having anxiety attacks - the kind that landed me in the ER 3 times in less than a year.

I had exercised my was down to 203 but then had to go in meds for the anxiety. I just went off them 3 months ago after being on them for 7 months...I weighed in at 249 two weeks ago!

Started working out everyday and today I'm down to 243 2 weeks later. So down 6 lbs and still going.

I'm in!
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, Katastrophe lives up to his pseudonym! As I posted in another thread, I started running this summer. I'm 43. My BP, cholesterol, and triglycerides were all borderline high. I really didn't want to go on medication. Thus far my stamina is vastly improved. I really didn't need to lose weight, although dropping 10 wouldn't hurt me. I'm 5'10.5" and I just dropped under 180 lbs. I was more concerned with converting a little fat into muscle. Plus the exercise can help with stress, which I have plenty of from time to time in this line of work. The thing for me will be keeping up with the running because I'm not a natural athlete, nor do I particularly enjoy running. I don't loathe it either.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in for moral support. I have a bit higher than I should cholesterol and have been on meds for 4 years. I'm 53 and 5'7" and weigh 172. BP is good but heart disease is on both sides of my family. I'm a twin (not identical) and my brother was 35 lbs heavier than me and about to need to to get on BP pills. In 5 months of just watching what he ate and exercise, he lost 40 lbs is is 3 lbs less than me. However, I exercise 5 days a week. Let me make it clear....I HATE EXERCISE. But, it's kept me in good shape and my doc says I have the health of a 30 year old.

What I can say is that after about a year or so of loosing, your body gets use to it and it's harder but, if you keep your regimen up, it also slows down the re-weight gain.

I'd love to follow anyone along but I would only need to cut to about 5 lbs. I'll be a cheerleader.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm game -- post a link to the thread if you don't mind, just so I don't miss it. I'm 32, 6'3", and 220. I'd like to lose ~10-15 pounds, so I think it would be a good thing to be a part of. Support is so key in things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I could lose a few pounds...but that sounds like a lot of work. I'm 46, 5'8.874" and 164 lbs. BP is alright last time I checked, but my cholesterol test wasn't great. Then again, I didn't fast before the test, so my results may not be totally accurate. I do need to start exercising again, I've been a couch potato for too long. I'm thankful that I was active for most of my life, otherwise I'd be in even worse shape. I'm not promising anything, but I'll stay tuned...and possibly join in.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I'm 46, 5'8.874"
    Huh. I always pictured you as 5'8.85". I guess you really can't tell a guy's height from his guitar forum posts.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Huh. I always pictured you as 5'8.85". I guess you really can't tell a guy's height from his guitar forum posts.
    That was a tribute to you, my good reverend, and your 5'10.5"...
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

If we're being that specific, I'm actually 6'2.5".
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I should accept the challenge, too, but I'm really undisciplined when it comes to diet and exercise. Considering that I am at least 25 pounds overweight, have high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic, I should get serious. And as I approach 60, I'm noticing that I don't have the muscle strength I used to have, so again, I need the exercise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am in.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I figured. I thought that one silly turned deserved another

Post Thanks / Like

would be but at 5'8 58 yrs. young 170 ish,normal BP,cholesterol is where it belongs.still wanting some gym action though to firm up
    only one I know that at my age does 50 pushups a day
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My problem is more like I can't get my weigh up, I mean, in a healthy way. I'm about 5'11' and weigh 167lbs, while most of my friends the same height weigh more like 200 and they aren't fat at all. Hell my dad weighs nearly 200 and he's clearly shorter than me. Guess I have bird bones. When I was 18 22 years ago, I managed to weigh 178 which is my all time tops, and looking at the pics I looked really really fat with a double chin already. I did a lot of sporting back then, no car etc. so I ran everywhere, plus ski'd and ran and swam and whatnot...that must have been the cause for getting so fat. Exercise kills :-)

These days the problem is...well this summer I worked REAL hard and even ran some and, you know chin-ups ups to 20 times etc. but all I got was my muscles got so damaged in a few months of using them much more than in the winter, I had to basically not use them for almost a month. Thus I could not build any mass in them.

I do my best to eat loads of eggs and bacon and sausages and such, and several beers daily, etc. but to no avail...yeah I could have a little tighter a stomach, but I don't gain weight, at least in muscle. BP is around 110/60 or so and pulse around 70 usually.

I think I could get the weigh up if I started binging on sodas and bread etc. but I'd just want a little more muscle. Dunno how could I do that, though. I would NOT say I'm in a good condition, I have this feeling I should do much more towards my health, but I just don't know what could it be.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Went to the doc today for a cold and a plugged up left ear... Got kind of a wake up call.

BP was in the 150s over 90s, weight over 200 lbs. (I'm 5'7"), heart rate at 45 bpm (which wouldn't be a bad thing if I was an athlete, but I'm not), and the doc tells me that my heart was occaisionally skipping beats. I'm 39 years old.

Crap, crap, crappity crap!

Luckily, my ticker started keeping good time again before I left, and I was advised to meet with a cardiologist.

So, looks like I'm gonna have to get my sorry, unhealthy arse in shape.

Caffeine is gone.
    High sodium foods are gone.
    High fat and cholesterol foods are gone.

Regular excercise is in my immediate future.

Looks like I'll be eating broccoli with a side of air for my meals now. **sigh**

On a motorcycle forum I used to belong to before I came here, one of the members posted a thread so people could track their weight loss. I joined in, and lost 48 lbs. by the time I was done. Kept the weight off for several years, too, before my eating habits took a nosedive.

If I posted a thread like that, would anyone be interested in joining in?
    I think that people in North America have to be blind or just don't absorb what is being pounded into them by the media.
    We are all eating the wrong foods the wrong way. Losing 40 or 50 lbs is not the answer. Gaining even 5 lbs should be a huge red flag.
    You don't need to "Diet". The human body uses what it can of it's intake of food daily then deposits the rest in fat for later. If we don't use up the calories we put on weight. If you watch shows like the biggest loser, you will see the common thread is that we need to exercise, and not eat a lot of the wrong types of food. We do need fats, and carbs, and cutting them out will only make your life miserable.
    As far as exercise, all you need to do is take a decent walk once a day and it will be enough. Get out of the golf cart, and walk. Eat a balanced diet and watch your portion sizes. The things like potato chips, cheezees etc. are killing you.
    Soda is one of the worst. Drink water or flaoured drinks.
    The message that all the nutritionists are pushing is that this is a lifestyle change that can be for life.
    I am 64 and have been following this lifestyle for 40 years. I am a little over weight but I have a lot of muscle. I used to do a lot of weight training and I still play hockey twice a week in the winter for 2 hours at a time. I still play golf, walking with a push cart, and have regular walks. I do use light weights to keep my muscles in trim. The biggest thing is eating.
    My wife is a fanatic about portion sizes and baked not fried food. Low sodium, and lots of veggies.
    So I guess what I am saying is that you don't have to change your life drastically, you just have to do a little more, and eat a little less.
    And don't think that eating healthy means "no flavor". We have found thousands of knock you socks off receipes, for everyday food that are not any harder to prepare, and taste amazing. Set some goals in your exercise program. Like walk a block today and a block and a half tomorrow. Don't over do it so that you hurt yourself. If you stay with this you will find that your life and body will change slowly. But you will get healtier. My father had to change his whole lifestyle at 50, and he is now 85, and we played golf together yesterday.
    I think if you read what other guys are saying in this thread you will see the common issue is the Yo Yo affect. You don't want that to happen. Huge weight loss followed by huge weght gain. It should be gradual and you should reach a healthy weight that you can maintain.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Zman, obesity is almost an epidemic in the US now. While I agree with much of what you say (and follow much of the lifestyle you do) many do need to 'DIET'. They are tuned into fast, fatty foods, eating in front the tv and generally, just becoming lazy. Many do need a major lifestyle change. Not necessarily vegan but more fruits and vegetables and leaner meats. Definitely not fried foods.
    The fast food restaurants basically toy with the idea of healthy foods. I see today the Burger King is offering oatmeal. Likely it's got more sugar in it than need be.
    Water....yes, yes, yes! People I know who got medical help for serious weight loss say drinking lots more water than you think you need made a difference to them. Helps with their chances of lowering diabetes too. Of course, no smoking too.
    Bottom line....you pretty much hit the high points but unless those who are chronically overweight change the way they think about food, normal diet and exercise won't help as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Zman, obesity is almost an epidemic in the US now.
    According to the C.D.C. it is an epidemic and has been for a while now. The scary part is that it's a higher rate for children.

Eat less - exercise more. You guys are right on about that. Many people take in far more calories than they burn in a day. We have high calorie, non nutritious food abundantly available to us for cheap and that constitutes a large part of the average North American diet. Realistically, most of us should be consuming below 1,900 calories per day. It's a scientific fact that if you eat less you live longer too.

Consistently eating high fiber and nutrient rich foods at sensible caloric levels yields a 'diet' that improves your health and costs much less in money and health problems in the future.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Take care of yourself!

Get enough sleep
    Eat less calories
    No snacking on unhealthy junk - eat carrots, apples etc instead
    Exercise! Go for walks with your wife and kids. Bike instead of taking the car, if possible.

You can do it!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points, all!

Z, if any of those recipies are online, it would be cool if you could throw me a link.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast