Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's Your Setup Like?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Setup Like?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Your Setup Like?

I always have interest in what others use to derive their sounds. I love the subtle, and not so subtle, differences. I have a very modest setup at home that does just what I need to get what is in my head out and onto media. I add to it now and again but the heart of it remains the same, for the most part. Here's a little visual illustration of my PC DAW setup. I don't have reference to any of my midi equipment or portable 8-track on it. This is strictly PC recording.

My PC Recording Setup

- Pete
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete,

What do you think of the Art tube pre?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I think for the price I got it for, under $60 USD, it was worth it. I wouldn't spend too much $$$ on it. It does an excellent job on vocals but you have to be careful with it because it is very easy to introduce noise into the mix from it. Still, it has proven to be very useful.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you have it between your POD & firewire box? Are you trying to warm up the signal with a little tubey glow?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice setup Pete!
    How do you find the Line6 shortboard with the PODxt? I kinda thought I didn't really need one coz I use the POD only for recording so don't necessarily need a hands free operation. Do you think it gives extra flexibility?

Also what do you use to record bass (if you do)? I know there's some VST bass plug ins that can be used with cubase but I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheap bass to spice up my recordings.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Why do you have it between your POD & firewire box? Are you trying to warm up the signal with a little tubey glow?
    Yup, exactly. It does add some warmth.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Nice setup Pete!
    How do you find the Line6 shortboard with the PODxt? I kinda thought I didn't really need one coz I use the POD only for recording so don't necessarily need a hands free operation. Do you think it gives extra flexibility?

Also what do you use to record bass (if you do)? I know there's some VST bass plug ins that can be used with cubase but I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheap bass to spice up my recordings.
    The shortboard is a great tool to have with the XT. I actually prefer having the floorboard separate from the bean. This keeps the heart protected from spills, etc. Even though the Live wasn't offered when I bought my XT, I would still go this route as I don't like having the entire unit+brain on the floor.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    I have also heard of people placing a valvulator there for the same reason.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

If I use my amp, I have an SM57 mic going into Line6 Toneport interface USB'ed into my Laptop. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 or Samplitude 7.0 for my software. If I don't mic my amp I use Line6 TonePort Gearbox.
    Main Rig - Reverend Wolfman > Korg Pitchblack tuner >Vox Clyde Wah > MXR HW Script Phase 90 > MXR 108 Fuzz > Diaz Texas Ranger > Nova Drive > VL Analog Chorus > ModTone Analog Delay > Vox Night Train > 60's Vox 2x12 (Scumback M75 and Hellatone 30)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my amps, SM57 and Tascam US-122. I use Cubase 2 to edit.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Gear I use in my home studio....

82 Fender strat with 62 pickups,
    San Dimas Charvel strat,
    Gibson ES 775 archtop
    70's Gibson Les Paul Custom.
    Taylor BZ 714
    2006 Gibson ES 335

For amps I use
    Fender Vibro King,
    1970's Marshall JMP 50 with
    Old Marshall 1970 4x12 Slant Cab with 25 watt Celestion greenbacks
    Peavey 5150,
    66 and 65 Fender Blackfaced Super Reverb amps.
    Mesa Boogie Triaxis and Stereo Simul-Class 2:ninety
    2 ADA 2x12 cabs with 25 watt Celestions greenbacks
    Fender Deluxe Reverb
    Peavey Special 130

Pedals
    Xotic BB preamp
    Xotic RC booster
    TS9 Tube screamer
    Maxon OD9
    Electro Harmonix memoryman
    Arion SC-1 chorus
    Carl Martin compressor

for recording
    Apple Dual 2.7 Ghz G5
    Apple MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz 17"
    Logic Pro 7 (all mixing and effects are done in Logic)
    Logic Express
    Presonus Firepod
    Motu Micro Lite
    Mackie HR 824 monitors

As far as production goes every thing is recorded and mixed in Logic Pro 7. I sometimes sequence the drums from scratch or I use Apple jam packs which are pre recorded sampled drums. All other instruments I play live. Logic offers great keyboard and instrument sounds which I access using my keyboard controller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, amazing gear collection Frank. Now I understand how your recordings sound so polished.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am really interested in your recording via Macs. Those are the machines I have. Can you refer me to a good reference for learning the practical tricks besides the stuff on Apple's site? Something like the Missing Manual , or Dummies series?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I am really interested in your recording via Macs. Those are the machines I have. Can you refer me to a good reference for learning the practical tricks besides the stuff on Apple's site? Something like the Missing Manual , or Dummies series?
    http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/
    http://www.macjams.com/
    http://macs.about.com/cs/ilife/a/garageband_link.htm

Something to get you started... The Macintosh is a beautiful platform for music production!!!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Swede for the links!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

As simple as I am... Guitar into pedals.. pedals into Crate PowerBlock which sits right on the desk within reach... powerblock into computers Audigy card... Audigy into Audacity (Not pretty but free and easy on any platform.. now using it on Windows and Linux) or sometimes CoolEdit(Adobe Audition) ... cheap and easy.. its all thats needed for me..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

(Similar to Justa's)-- Guitar--RP-250--pedals as needed--USB into 'puter(windows)--Audacity.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Check out this piece of software:

Motu Digital Performer

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    I've got the the art tube pre (thanks Spud for the $30 MF Stoopid deal heads up) but I'm a bit confused about how it works.

It has an input level & an output level.

My guess is that the the input level controls a solid state gain stage & the the output level controls the gain through the tube.

But I'm equally convinced that I've got it backwards. The manual is no help at all.

The magic 8-eight ball sez: I dunno, ask The Fret.
    I pick a moon dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast