Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car dies on the highway.. engine possibly trashed??

Post Thanks / Like

Question Car dies on the highway.. engine possibly trashed??

Car dies on the highway this morning! Rush-hour, but I was lucky to be in the rightmost lane already so I was able to pull safely in break-down lane which is normally allowed for travel but luckily not in that SMALL section only!

Tow to shop.

Shop guy says there is no resistance, you can crank engine by hand! Woa!
    He is thinking rebuilt engine or junking the car! (Subaru, 127,000 mi.), as the investigative work would be prohibitive, and would require yet more money to get something working...
    Wife says junk it.

Anybody here with a suggestion as what to do, or look at next, mechanically?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need a little more info, but no resistance? Are the plugs out of it? The only thing I can even guess at it a head gasket. Or all your valves are bent. Depending on the condition of the rest of the car, it's probably worth a rebuilt engine.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like no compression. Bad news, it sounds like. If the rest of the car is in decent shape, a rebuilt engine is probably the least expensive solution.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

This Subaru engine line has had headgasket problems, and mine had its gaskets changed under 'semi-warranty" a few years ago.
    Timing belt was changed a few months ago (by same shop) and car ran fine.

Funny thing how the breakdown was way quiet, like when you run out of gas or electrics cut out.

Mech. thinks crank may have broken(!), and does not *seem* eager to open her up... .
    Car will need other things soon, like CV joints/axles, has some New-England winters rust. I had it for almost 11 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea, as my only experience with cars is changing oil, replacing brake pads, and getting estimates on the repair costs.

Hopefully you figure out what to do next -- I'm interested to know how this pans out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your car problem. Let me know when you eventually decide what to do.

I have a 2004 Legacy. This was preceded by a 1997 Legacy. The 1997 Legacy was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me and totaled. I was stopped with about 10 cars in front of me waiting at a red light; the guy who plowed into me claimed he did not realize traffic was stopped.

The 2004 Legacy has around 55,000 miles on it, but the Subaru shop has told me that the head gaskets are leaking and it is $1500 to fix them. When I asked them how come it is so expensive they told me that it is because it is very labor intensive to pull apart two engine heads and fix the problem. I have been putting the problem off now for about 3 months, I don't know that I should put it off any longer, but $1500 is a lot of money. From what I remember of the 1997 I think the old Legacy is more trouble-free than my current one.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how to do multiple quotes so...

Eric:
    LOL, you did not read the original post: I quietly sneaked: "Wife says junk it."

aeolian:
    From the little that I know, the 2. 5 engine series had had the head problem, and I think some others also did develop it. I would look into that engine series history. There is a Legacy forum, somewhere. like the Forester one I visit when problems arise. A bit on the mod and fanboy side, but there is a lot of good info and references there.
    It is a bit sad that Sub has to recommend adding an additive to the coolant, apparently sealing the minute leaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least I will probably choose a Toyota for my next vehicle rather than a Subaru.

Sounds like they have some problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
    The 2004 Legacy has around 55,000 miles on it, but the Subaru shop has told me that the head gaskets are leaking and it is $1500 to fix them. When I asked them how come it is so expensive they told me that it is because it is very labor intensive to pull apart two engine heads and fix the problem. I have been putting the problem off now for about 3 months, I don't know that I should put it off any longer, but $1500 is a lot of money. From what I remember of the 1997 I think the old Legacy is more trouble-free than my current one.
    I have a 1997 Outback on which I had to have the head gaskets replaced. It was actually more than $1500, so I don't think that's a bad price. I put it off as long as I could, actually buying a '93 Saturn to avoid getting the work done, but after the Saturn was stolen I just swallowed hard and brought the Subie in for work.

As PR mentioned, you might want to check about the head gaskets online. I was under the impression that the problem was solved by the time the 2004 models were released, but I'm not the best source of info on that, since it was never that relevant to me. What I found when my head gaskets were going was that when on the highway the temp would be normal, but as soon as I pulled off and the car was idling, the temperature shot through the roof. It has something to do with how they're failing -- I read it once, but I forget what the details are right now.

Good luck with whatever course of action you decide to pursue.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Well, at least I will probably choose a Toyota for my next vehicle rather than a Subaru.

Sounds like they have some problems.
    It's true that they're not as trouble-free or fuel-efficient as you would expect given their following. It's weird though: once you own one, there's this weird dedication you get to them. If I knew my next car would be trouble-free, I would most definitely buy a Subaru. I'm not sure I understand why there is the cult following to them, but it's there and I can sense it even in myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Update to a confusing situation... (find cause of failure, repair/rebuild, trade/junk?)

I went to the back of the shop, and looked at my car. Timing belt cover is off, belt is there, in good shape. No visible other problem.
    A friend at another shop would like to see it to better judge, and thinks I could have a rebuilt engine in for 2500 +/-, and have that as a trade to new vehicle....

EDIT to add: I am getting mad at the fact that i don't know what took the engine down.. grrr. Like I need "closure" or something. Weird.
    Last edited by poodlesrule; August 30th, 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: space

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
    My former car had the head gaskets go at around 110K miles. This was quite a few years ago. It cost me around $1,100 to get it fixed. It is very labor intensive because I saw all the stuff he had to take off to just get to the gaskets. The heads themselves may also have to be machined because they can be damaged by the failed gasket. The longer you wait, the worse it will get. Eventually you'll get coolant in your oil which will turn it into a lovely meringue. After that the engine itself will seize up. The good news is that after the fix, the car is still going at over 260K miles.

It's really easy to test if your head gaskets are failing. There is a device that you can put some coolant from your radiator in. It can detect if there are traces of exhaust in it. If there are, the gaskets are failing. In my case it was winter when the gaskets failed. Enough exhaust got into the cooling system that it was keeping the thermostat from tripping until the car was at the point of overheating. I also had no heat, which is bad news in Wisconsin in January.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Sumi a Subaru mechanic? He hasn't posted in months. Sumi, where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the mechanic is saying the engine connection to the transmission/drive shaft is busted - head gaskets would cause fluid leaking, loss of compressions and potentially piston head damage - in this case though the engine wouldn't be able to crank without resistance.

Sorry to say it but if this is the case you're best bet would be to junk the car and get something newer. If you have a little to invest you could have a more qualified mechanic check into it - but if they can't tell what's going on without pulling the engine I doubt it'd be worth it.

Sucks....need to sell any gear to cover the repair costs??

(running away )
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Isn't Sumi a Subaru mechanic? He hasn't posted in months. Sumi, where are you?
    Yes, where is that child?

I looked at my car in the back parking lot. Timing belt cover is off so i was able to assess things: belt is there, no apparent damage to pulleys and such.

On a dedicated Subaru forum, it was pointed out to me that we should check if there is effective piston movement or not. I also read eleswhere that someone had a crankshaft break (very rare these days) without any major noise. Could mine had gone that way?

Post Thanks / Like

That's the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post

Sucks....need to sell any gear to cover the repair costs??

(running away )

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

reading through this thread I am getting the feeling that perhaps the mechanic is in a bit over his head. Is the car at a Subaru dealer or an independent repair shop? If there is a serious mechanical failure a competent tech should be able to determine what is wrong. In any event if the tech is giving you the feeling he doesn't want to get in to it, it's definitely at the wrong shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would go for a new engine IF I could find one well under $2K. You'll be looking at at least that much in the following few years in repairs I fear, unless it's been undergoing major repairs already.

For $4000 I'm sure you could find a better car.

I always buy my cars driven 130.000ml or so already, but I make sure they've been worked over well and have good engines.
    For a modern, quality engine, 300.000 miles should not be hard to achieve if taken care of well. I dunno about eastern cars, though, never owned one, never will :-)

My car has over 200.000 miles on the clock and I've never done any repairs to the engine itself...but, since it's over 10 years old, and has practically no resale value, I've decided if and when the engine dies or it needs other repairs nearing 2K mark, I'll scrap it. But, hoping to drive it for at least 2-3 more years.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BTW just to clarify the no eastern cars remark...I'm fully aware that Toyota and Honda etc. make top notch quality etc. and if I ever bought a _new_ car I might get something like a Nissan Pathfinder or whatever; if I'd need a car to cross the Sahara I'd get a Land Cruiser, etc...but, I buy my cars 5-6 years old and driven much, and the fact just seems to be I can't find any eastern car I'd like in that age/mileage group. They literally don't smell right to me, and just generally don't have an air and appeal to me at all.

One thing for instance I must have is quite blonde an interior, and clear, spacious lines, and by and large eastern cars are all black inside, and strangely cramped around the driver too. Furthermore, eastern makers tend to put out clearly different models within 5-6 years, so the cars that old look clearly dated already to me, whereas with many european makes it takes a professional to even be able to tell the difference in loks of cars 6 years apart in model years. It's just a matter of personal likes and dislikes, not meaning to say I think they suck or anything like that, quite the contrary.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast