Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What Capo are you guys using?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Capo are you guys using?

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Capo are you guys using?

I am looking for a Capo. I have seen several types and some of them look like they might be pretty hard on my guitar necks. There are several brands that look pretty industrial strength, with clip ons and set screws.
    Are the leather/cloth ones more neck friendly? I am not really worried about speed in putting them on and taking them off.
    I just thought I would try to get your experience. They would be for Electric guitars only.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Dunlop capo. I thinks it is Dunlop! it has been a while since I bought it. Here is a picture of it rather then trying to describe it. It is not as quick to put on or take off as the metal spring ones, but to me it seems less likely to mar the finish on the neck.

Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have a black Dunlop capo but I found one which works much better on my Strat or on my Telecaster that's a Shubb C4 there's several models with different curves adapting to your neck profile. I also use a Shubb special 12 strings on my National Duolian and it works pretty good

http://www.woodbrass.com/shubb-c4-gu...ge-p20970.html
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kyser. It's good and handy. I have a dunlop too, and then this old, real sturdy metal one that is actually pretty good, but heavy

That's the Kyser and best of the bunch...

Here:

The big metal job is #1, and I also have the #3 and #4 (dunlop).
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have about 3 capos, but one of them is a Paige. It works well, just not the easiest to move around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mapka View Post
    I have a Dunlop capo. I thinks it is Dunlop! it has been a while since I bought it. Here is a picture of it rather then trying to describe it. It is not as quick to put on or take off as the metal spring ones, but to me it seems less likely to mar the finish on the neck.

What's the song behind the capo ?

Post Thanks / Like

Kyser. I've heard some people prefer the Shubb, but I've never used one of them. I've never had a problem with the Kyser doing anything to the neck that I know of. I had one of those Dunlop ones (#3 in deeaa's picture) a long time ago, but I didn't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Kyser. Easy, quick, and clips handily to the headstock when not in use. Used 'em for many years, and no damage to the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Kyser one, but its main function is to be a third hand when adjusting truss rod relief. I mess with it on my guitar every so often. I like the way it alters the timbre of the guitar as well as the pitch. The music I tend to play, though, has little use for them.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango View Post
    What's the song behind the capo ?
    Comin' Into Los Angeles Arlo Gutherie
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a shubb. It works fine, but the rubber part cracked on it. I have a kyser somewhere around here too, but I forgot where I put it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just have to go with a Bong.....

This is the cheap and nasty one GFS sell. Whilst it works just fine, I only really use it to check neck relief and action.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It sure looks a lot like the Shubb one.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tested several, and this very simple to use yet holds secure one from Planet Waves won.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Here:
    I have a 1, 2, and 4. The 2 is a Schubb that came along with my mandolin. I use the cloth/elastic #4 on my long-neck banjo-- it's probably been on it for 20 years. I tend to use the big metal jobby (1) for guitar and the Schubb for mando.

Haven't noticed any marring from any, but the only one left on for any amount of time is the 4 on the banjo.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool guys thanks for the input. I will have to find what is available here. So far I have seen the Dunlop, clip, and the cloth wrap ones. I have not seen a Shubb. I will check out some other local stores. It is good to hear that they don't mar the surface of the neck.
    I never thought about the "set up" aspect of using the capo for ajustments. They do recommend it for some tweaking.
    I am leaning some Joe Bonamassa tunes and it calls for a capo in the Music/Tab.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    I am leaning some Joe Bonamassa tunes and it calls for a capo in the Music/Tab.
    I was wondering why you needed a capo for an electric. I think I can count the number of times I've used a capo on an electric guitar on one hand, but I use it quite frequently on the acoustic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I was wondering why you needed a capo for an electric. I think I can count the number of times I've used a capo on an electric guitar on one hand, but I use it quite frequently on the acoustic.
    Well if you check Albert Collins or Jimmie Vaughan they used very very often a capo, I personally does it as well because the tension is different then and the sound also change nature, give it a try one time and you'll see what I mean
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Dunlop trigger capo and have had no problems with it electric or acoustic. I sometimes take acoustic songs and 'rock them up' and, similarly, take rock songs and try them in different styles. I particularly like my 'easy listening lounge' versions of 'Back in Black' and my acoustic blues version of 'Cochise' but my gospel version of 'Too Drunk To F**K' did'nt really work out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast