Thread: Classic Eddie Van Halen Interview

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic Eddie Van Halen Interview

This interview is awesome! http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newb...lt_201109/#/16

What a crack up, man, I can't wait to get home and throw on some classic Van Halen.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha. "Never leave my family" indeed. Unless their name is Michael. Or Dave. Or Valerie. Or Sammy. Or Gary. Or.....

He was a very good musician, and an accomplished liar concerning his equipment. Too bad he's not been doing anything for so long now.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

How is he "an accomplished liar concerning his equipment?"

Post Thanks / Like

In interviews over the years, EVH has told half-truths or outright lies concerning his guitars & amps. Pretty well documented. Using a Variac to "increase voltage until the tubes melt"? Ummm, no. Decrease voltage to get a 'browner' sound out of his Plexi, yep. I understand not wanting to give away tone 'secrets' that he worked for years to achieve, but Ed has a history of saying pretty much whatever he felt like saying at the moment
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I thought he was just joking around when he was talking about all those modifications (especially when he describes a capacitor as looking like a stick of dynamite). Anyway, I found the article entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt it's a good find. EVH is entertaining, at the very least. A pioneer as well.

Have a read here: WoodyTone. Lots of interesting stuff.

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Zip!

Post Thanks / Like

nice one, thanks for sharing