Thread: DR Marcus Miller "Fat Beams"

Post Thanks / Like

Default DR Marcus Miller "Fat Beams"

Following NWBasser's advice, I bought a pack of DR Marcus Miller-sig "Fat Beams" strings in my favorite gauge (MM-45: .045-.105). I had originally put DR Hi Beams on my Spector to try to brighten up a dark bass. The Hi Beams have that brightness spades. The Fat Beams are supposed to be similar, except with a different winding process that adds more low end. I was replacing the stock SIT nickel wound strings on my LTD. As was mentioned in Brian Johnston's DR review, the strings came in individual Cortec envelopes that are supposed to prevent corrosion. I haven't tested those claims, but the envelopes are substantial and feel quite a bit difference from regular paper. One minor gripe: the envelopes are labeled "4th" through "1st" instead of with the gauge. Turns out "4th" is the low E string. I would have preferred the gauge.

The strings are stainless and have a round core so the tension isn't as high as if they had a hex core. Some bassists like the tension so they can get very low action. I prefer the lesser tension for bending and vibrato. On bass, really low action is not that important to me. If you prefer the greater tension, DR's Low-Beams have a hex core. As is typical of stainless strings, they feel a bit "stickier" than nickel.

My initial tone impressions are as follows: they have that stainless brightness/zingyness that you just can't get from nickel wound strings. At the same time, they did seem to have more low-end than the Hi Beams. One side-effect of that is that I don't seem to get as much of that metallic ping/clank sound when I play with a pick. When playing rock/blues stuff with my fingers or a pick, I preferred them over the nickel ones slightly. I did get a lot more clarity with the MM pickup which tended to be a bit muddy with the nickels. To be honest, it didn't seem to be so much of an improvement that it would merit the substantially higher cost of the Fat Beams. But then I started slapping and popping (as best I can). Man oh Manfred Mann did that sound good. I had heard that many slap/pop bassists prefer stainless strings. Now I know why. I felt that the SIT strings were a little dull and lacking attack. There is no dullness or lack of attack with the Fat Beams. THAT definitely makes it worth the extra cost.

A couple other observations: I was surprised (although I probably shouldn't have been) to find that the new strings tweaked the acoustic tone of the bass, but didn't fundamentally alter it. My basswood/rosewood Spector sounds very different from my swamp ash/maple LTD. I like them both--they're just different. It was also interesting to compare the new Fat Beams to my almost two-year-old set of Hi Beams. The new strings are obviously shinier and a bit brighter, but not so much so that I would say that the old ones definitely needed to be changed. Granted, my body chemistry is very kind to strings in general. Also what everybody demands in bass tone will be different. The point is that for me these strings last a frightfully long time.

In summary: if I was only playing rock or blues, I might not bother with these strings on this bass. For slapping and popping, these strings are teh bomb, as the kids say. I'll probably string my bass with these from now on. I hope to replace this set somewhere in the summer of 2016
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

One casualty of these new strings is that the P/J combo that I used to love with a pick is now gone. I can fake it with some EQ, but it's not the same. These strings really seem to sound best when I'm playing with my fingers instead of a pick. I think the brightness is just a bit much on the attack with a pick. Once again, I can compensate with the EQ. Slapping the open E with any pickup combo sounds fabulous now. Before slapping the open E sounded like something was wrong or missing--like the low end suddenly went away. Not so anymore.

I have also noticed (and this is apart from the strings) is that the MM pickup in my LTD can make my combo sound a bit farty if I really dig in. Not a big surprise there, I don't think. That's a very high output pickup with tons of low end.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski