Thread: In the market

Post Thanks / Like

Default In the market

Funny story and then I'll get to the beef...

When hurricane Irene came through a few weeks ago, my wife and I were up at her Sister's house in Richmond, VA. Expecting to lose power, I brought my old classical guitar (the only acoustic I have) and thought I would play a little bit for everyone, and maybe my SiL's husband could jump on the piano.

Well, due to a bottle of rum, the we broke into the music about a day early and just had a totally awesome jam session. I was thinking we were making the best music in the world... until the next day. He has some kind of android smartphone and recorded us that night. Even my wife who really loves my playing was like "WTF?!?!" - it was just so bad.

In my defense, the rum was good and that classical guitar has a really wide fretboard, and my fingers kept rolling off the nylon strings (I think anyway)

ANYWAY, I was kind of interested in picking up my first real steel string acoustic so I hit the shop recently. I was looking in the 300-400 range. I played a few fenders, epiphones and yamahas. I've never been interested in acoustic before because I love the power of an electric guitar, and none of these guitars got me excited until I picked up the Yamaha FG730s. I really really liked it. I understand that it's not the bees knees of acoustics (seems like Martins and Taylors are the favorite brands) but this sounded so full and so much better than the other ones I played, I really didn't want to put it down. Do any of you guys have any opinions on this guitar? Anything else I should look at in this range. I did a search and didn't find too much on this guitar on the board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Yamaha FG730s was in my short list a year ago. After much testing, the acoustic that spoke to me the most was the Art & Lutherie Spruce dreadnought. While the Seagull Coastline S6 Cedar and Yamaha FG730s were very close, the full, clear, resonate tones and incredible neck of the $360 A & L sealed the deal.

However, slight variations from one guitar to the next can change the order. Older strings can make one feel and sound less than it should.

I wish I had more available money at the time, because the Epiphone Masterbuilt was the best guitar I tried.

Try a bunch and see which one speaks to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Guild F50.
    Play any guitar in the shop, then play a Guild F50. Then go to your bank, take out a second mortgage, and buy that F50. You'll never, ever regret it.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Godin acoustic line (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon Patrick, Norman, LaPatrie). They are made in Canada (or the US) and have a really good sound and feel to them.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Again I'll recommend one of the best out there for comparing to major brands, just check out Carvin Cobalt series acoustic and Acoustic electric. I have really found them to be a great product and the quality in the setup and neck is far above most any other that you pay twice the price for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music View Post
    Again I'll recommend one of the best out there for comparing to major brands, just check out Carvin Cobalt series acoustic and Acoustic electric. I have really found them to be a great product and the quality in the setup and neck is far above most any other that you pay twice the price for.
    Dude - that is really sweet! Nice price too. The only thing I don't like about Carvins is I can't play them before I buy them though....

Going to seriously consider it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wandered in to a local mom and pop shop a few years ago not expecting to buy anything. I had a Martin 000-15 at the time and had previously owned a J-15 before I got the small bodied Martin. I happened to pick up an Ibanez and immediately was impressed by the tone. It was a really nice guitar and my friend who worked in the shop said I could have it for $250. I see they're $399 at MF these days. I think it's worth trying if there's one near you. It also features a built in tuner, Fishman electronics, and both 1/4" and XLR out. I bought it and sold the Martin and never regretted it.
    http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-AW300ECENT
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    I wandered in to a local mom and pop shop a few years ago not expecting to buy anything. I had a Martin 000-15 at the time and had previously owned a J-15 before I got the small bodied Martin. I happened to pick up an Ibanez and immediately was impressed by the tone. It was a really nice guitar and my friend who worked in the shop said I could have it for $250. I see they're $399 at MF these days. I think it's worth trying if there's one near you. It also features a built in tuner, Fishman electronics, and both 1/4" and XLR out. I bought it and sold the Martin and never regretted it.
    http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-AW300ECENT
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
    I've been very interested in those Ibanez Artwood guitars for a while. They look really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see that you would have a problem ordering from Carvin. They have great customer service and a good return policy plus a free case with the guitar that it must be shipped in. I have bought 3 and been happy with all of them, the problem I have is my friends end up wanting to buy mine. I have sold to friends and bought myself a upgraded model each time.