Thread: Which woods do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which woods do you prefer?

I was just wondering which tonewoods you guys prefer in your bodies and necks, I'm partial to Korina bodies, but I'm a fan of alder and mahogany as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't think of a wood I don't like. Had lots of different types between playing guitar and bass.

I am partial to les paul's so if I had to pick one I'd go mahogany.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Must . . . refrain . . . from making . . . obscene . . . joke . . .

Norwegian.

Anyway.

I'm not sure I have a preference. The only guitar bodies that I've ever hated were plywood. They were acoustically dead and weighed a ton. I've had instruments made of basswood, alder, poplar, and now swamp ash. My only gripe with that lot is that basswood is very soft and susceptible to denting and such. I much prefer a maple fretboard, but that is purely aesthetic, not tonal.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maple necks are best, otherwise, not really concerned that much, as long as it ain't horribly heavy.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Korina bodies work really well. The mahogany/maple top combo is also great.

I'd like to try a swamp ash Tele or Strat some time.

I don't put too much value in electric guitar woods. They do help shape tone and sustain a bit, but not nearly as much as with an acoustic guitar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

on acoustics, I am a rosewood/spruce guy, though other guitars can also sound nice. I like that scooped presence and thumpy bass the rosewood gives.

on solid body electrics, so far I am an alder guy, but I am open minded. On semis/hollows, I would just go for the guitar I like. Not sure I even know what is used mostly, though I think my Hag has a maple top.

Necks, well, I have a few and like all of them. A couple are mahogany, one is all maple, one is maple with RW fretboard. I like them all.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly haven't owned enough different guitars to have any real knowledge about the virtues of certain "tone" woods. I also tend to view guitars as an entirety, where the whole is not the sum of its parts. All that said, I'm more likely to judge the wood by its aesthetic value, and the upper end guitars are where you'll see the prettiest wood, as you'd expect.

I like 'em all, but lean toward rosewood backs and sides on acoustics (spruce tops being the norm). And I like maple tops on electrics. Neck and body wood isn't that important, although a nice black ebony fingerboard is icing on the cake.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really partial to any one type of wood. I'm from the "if it sounds good, it is good" school.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have guitars that are made from many different woods. I had never heard of Agathis, Basswood, or Pine being used in solid body guitars up until lately. All of them sound great so it is hard to say. I do however like maple and ebony in fret boards. A good rosewood has to be fine grain and a little aged to feel good.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I don't put too much value in electric guitar woods. They do help shape tone and sustain a bit, but not nearly as much as with an acoustic guitar.
    Yep that's how I see it too.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that swamp ash looks great with a natural finish. Basswood most assuredly would not. That's purely visuals though.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn