Thread: Using the Digitech Jamman Looper live- why does it feedback?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using the Digitech Jamman Looper live- why does it feedback?

Does anyone know the best way to set up the Digitech looper live? I had a mic and my electric guitar plugged into the looper and then I had the looper plugged into the board of a PA. With each loop I added during my show I kept getting more and more feedback. I'm assuming its because the mic was also looping the sound from the PA, ontop of what I was playing.

How do I avoid this? I've seen great loop artists like Andrew Bird and Merril Garbus pull this off without a hitch. What am I doing wrong?

Should I be connecting the loop pedal to an Amp and then mic the amp? Is it a matter of setting the levels? Is it the mic?

I'm lost.

Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Once the mic starts feeding back then you end up looping that and you end up with way too much feedback sound.

You'll need to reduce the gain on your mic so that it won't feedback either in the mains or monitors. Lots of people use the same setup with good results. You are going to have to do some experimenting to get the sound under control. There isn't much a sound man can do because you are sending him the signal from the looper and it's already feeding back from that point. If he uses eq or turns the channel down he'll also turn your guitar down and eq the guitar. Don't have the mic gain up so high that the mic is super sensitive and picks up everything. You just want the instrument (voice, acoustic instrument) to come through the mic.

Good luck.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Spud, I was typing away and then saw your response. I've not used any of my loopers with a mic (yet) so I've not experienced this particular issue, but I'm curious to hear what works so I know how to tackle it if I find myself in the same predicament.