Thread: Hagstrom, Gibson or Tokai.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hagstrom, Gibson or Tokai.

Hi All, I am looking to buy a LP style of guitar & would like all opinions of Hagstrom's either a Swede or Super Swede I have not been able to play any of the above because none of my local shops have any lefties to try, I can get a Swede no problems in Australia $900 but I would have to purchase a Super Swede from the USA as there are none DownUnder (typical lefty problem) Or I can get a Gibson LP Studio $1700 or a Tokai made in Japan Love Rock Les Paul $1500
    I know a certain Robert Renman has some experience with the Hagstroms as I have checked out his videos. Epiphones I am not keen on.
    I would really love to try all of the above myself but being a lefty this is near impossible to do, so any help in my search would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Swede and love it. I highly recommend them. Great build, very nice neck, and the electronics (pots and pickups are good). The only negatives I can find with it are that IMHO the pups could be a little hotter, the switches are a little cheap looking, and (although to me, this is really not a problem) it is definitely a "darker" sounding guitar then my LP. I have had no problems with it and when I bought it, the setup was pretty much spot on. Mine also has a tremolo system on it and you can hang on it and it will not take the strings out of tune.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't owned a Hagstrom since the 60's and I have never played a Tokai, so I have no help to offer on those. But I sure do love the LP's I have as well as those I no longer own. I once had an Epiphone reissue of an unusual LP Signature hollow body, of which I also have an original 73 Gibson. I have to say that Epiphone was a superb guitar for fit, finish, and tone.