Im getting parts in the mail as we speak. Soon I will begin my own experimenting on the Crate V5 in search of that illustrious tone and unobtainable headroom. Now by headroom I don't mean carrying this onstage at the auditorium and playing above the drummer and bass or even the tamborine in the back.. Just want to clean it up. At full volume this thing should distort sweetly at lower decibels that won't bother the neighbors. A list of places to start:

1- A better preamp instead of the current preamp. Add back the gain knob from the V508.
2- A real tonestack. (Think concentric pots)
3- Move the volume to the correct position. Thanks to jim p and deafelectro for they have already done this.
4- REVERB (Belton I'm sure)
5- DI (Wishfull thinking I know, but just in case I like the sound so much I want to pipe it .... somewhere!)

Already replaced the speaker but looking for an even better one. Ordering Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, 12AT7 (for experimenting) and an EL84.
jim p says swapping out the 12ax7 for the 12at7 reduces the gain of the preamp so you regain some of the tone your losing. With my work on the preamp I'm implementing that actually would work out pretty darn nice. Maybe even the 12au7. Have to look at the specs again.

Will be posting pictures of my progress and all comments will be welcome. The results will be sent back to Crate so they can do it right the next time. (......Just Kidding.....)