Thread: slide-lead duo over bt

Post Thanks / Like

Default slide-lead duo over bt

Working on making my slide playing fit more smoothly into regular lead, and struggling. Here's a bt with a mix of the two. Not terrible, but ... Anyone have advice on switching back and forth smoothly in the same song, without having to take slide on and off?

http://www.box.net/shared/giill18m7a9hf303o0nr
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Uh......what's wrong with what you came up with?? Sounds good to me. I'd like to see a video of you playing this. I like it more after a second listen. Damn, really fine slide playing

But....to answer your question. Click on the link below, it's Kirk Lorange's website. He's probably the best at alternating fretted and slide notes. Click on "watch some videos" and have fun.
    http://www.bottleneckguitar.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Working on making my slide playing fit more smoothly into regular lead, and struggling. Here's a bt with a mix of the two. Not terrible, but ... Anyone have advice on switching back and forth smoothly in the same song, without having to take slide on and off?

http://www.box.net/shared/giill18m7a9hf303o0nr
    Some companies offer a partial bottleneck which can be just turned on the finger and liberate so that you can fret as well.

For alternating one of the artist which does quite an intricate mix of sliding vs fretting is Mike Henderson
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. Might try one of those half slide things that turn around. Seems whatever finger I use, the slide gets in the way of something or other. BTW -- realize I forgot to post the BT. Will do that in appropriate thread tonight.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

just posted the backer next door in the bt thread
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh thats a nice recording Helliot!! Love that amph sound!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Swede. Amph's a customized setting on the Pod 500. Starting with the factory preset Lenny's Shadows and messing with it on a bunch of fronts. |Of course, me being me, I goofed with it till I liked it and didn't save it. Dohh
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Pie. Sadly, don't have video capacity that will capture decent audio. I think I'm close to settling on one thing -- slide on the pinkie. Less control on damping behind the slide, but more freedom for other fingers. Also trying the thing where you damp in front of the slide too. Man, that's hard.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Also trying the thing where you damp in front of the slide too. Man, that's hard.
    What do you mean "ahead of the slide"???? You mean with the picking hand? No fingers left on your sliding hand to damp AHEAD of the slide if you're sliding off the pinky! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, exactly. Ahead of the slide in this case means using your picking hand. You damp strings with fingers not picking the string where the slide is. Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks and I'm sure many others do it all the time. Lots of reading and demos on it. Check them out.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

OK, was just making sure. lol I work on that too and it's tough to pick with a middle finger and keep the others on the strings at the same time....let alone doing it at speed. Take your time with it, it will come slowly but surely and then all of the sudden, it's there in spades. I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Check out David Hamburger on YouTube as he has a vid on this. I'll see if I can find it later. Kirk Lorange has vids on it too, clearly showing his picking hand doing this.

And, if you want to play Sonny Landreth stuff, this ability is a pre-requisite.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt I'll get to being ready to try Sonny, but the right-hand muting is a worthwhile thing to work on. Gonna take ages to get nimble enough to do it in a live show, for me anyway.
    helliott in Hamilton