Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gibson not working for me = Other Brand NGD (Metal content!!)

Thread: Gibson not working for me = Other Brand NGD (Metal content!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gibson not working for me = Other Brand NGD (Metal content!!)

Yea, the P-90's in the Gibson LP Tribute I got during the labor day weekend sale just weren't working for me. Just never felt like they had enough bite or size to them.

Since I was well within the 30-day return window I took the gibby back last night. I wanted something metally - EMG's for sure but that was my only requirement.

I played a couple Jackson's, two Schectors and a couple LTD's. I finally settled on what can only be described as metal incarnate...the LTD EC-1000 Deluxe in matte black. Ebony fretboard, EMG 81/60 set, matte black. Setup out of the box was perfect. Had to pay a bit more to get it, but totally worth it. Glad I took the Gibson back - I won't miss it as good as it was.

Also purchase a new Slayer song book and broke out my Metallica stuff...I just need a killer metal amp now...any recommendations? I hear the 6505 is about the best there is in high gain but I'm not opposed to SS amps either since I just play in my living room.

Here's the pics:

Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dude, that is a sweet guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, hands down, that's my favorite LTD model! Congrats!

If you want the ultimate in metal amphage, I would suggest looking at the new Mesa Mini Rectifier, or one of the new Carvin V3 combos. A 6505 is gonna be way too loud for your living room if you want the amph to give up the good stuff.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I've heard good things about those LTDs. I think Spud just recently got the one with the passive pups in it, and he seemed to like it a lot. How do you like that 60 in the neck? I've been curious about those. Oh yeah, HNGD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The videos of that Mesa mini rectifier...wow! Pricetag too though - $999!!

Tough for me to have a well formed opinion yet, plus i'm rockin it through my Vox which doesn't do the best distortion. The 60 is definitely tame compared to the 81. It's sounding a bit bassy through the Vox. Need to tweak some settings/get another amp.

Love the way it feels and plays though.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

VERY sweet!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice EC-1000. I'd love to get my hands on one...if they only made a model with passives. Hopefully yours is real quiet with the active pickups.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Very nice EC-1000. I'd love to get my hands on one...if they only made a model with passives.
    I think they do -- the description here says that the amber sunburst model comes with SD JB/59 pickups:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-guitar/516629

Oddly enough (or maybe not), it's about $80 cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar! HNGD!

You can't beat a Boogie for metal, but the Blackstars, Jet City, and Orange all make good metal amps as well. The new Orange Dark Terror is pretty damn cool, although at $650 it's probably not something I'll be buying anytime soon. Good luck with your search!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Might want to look at a Jet City JCA22H.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...76843000001000

It's got two channels. One is just like my JCA20H, the other is the well-known SLO circuit. The other advantage is that it has an effects loop which mine lacks. Of course, both of those features will cost you an extra $150.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a Metal Muff and MXR Smart Gate for the Little Giant on my lunch hour today (used store to save some $$$!)

I turned the Little Giant up last night - I'm running an extension cab with some Eminence speaker in it...turned the volume to 3 o'clock to check the distortion out and man is that thing loud! And yea it's gritty at that volume but I figure the Metal Muff will give me enough saturation to really make the EMG's shine

Until I can get that Mini-Rectifier anyways lol!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! What do you think of your MXR Smart Gate so far?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea it's good - set to mids then dial in the threshold. It works good - cuts the crap out of the signal noise and feedback when rocking in high gain mode. It does steal a little tone though, not bad and it's worth it.

The metal muff is freakin awesome. Anything past 12 on the distortion knob - well I just can't see it being necessary lol!
    Dave