Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NAD: Pro Jr that's been modded, Need Help to Decipher the Mods. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NAD: Pro Jr that's been modded, Need Help to Decipher the Mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The amp is pretty quiet. Idle noise is nil, even with my tube wiring all crazy like that. I used it at rehearsal last week. Volume at halfway, tone almost dimed. Kept up with the drummer with NO problem.

Now I've got a Peavey Classic 30 that I don't know what to do with, heh, cuz I'm giggin' that Pro Jr. This Saturday. Our first gig, a Halloween party at a local Eagles Club. If you've seen me say before that I've got a "first gig", you have. This is our 4th "first gig". All the others have been last minute canceled. This one, I think is gonna go, as we are officially on their calendar.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet little amp huh? I love mine!

Congats.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    OK I've written down the color codes for the resistors that have been replaced. Most of them are identical to the stock values. He must have just changed to a different resistor type to reduce hum. However, a puzzling one is R 29, which I believe is the Biasing resistor? It's 2, 2.3k resistors wired together. So this would be 4.6K, right? The legs of one resistor are soldered to the other. Can someone sanity check me on the color code?
    Sorry that I am hopelessly late to the party on this, but those two resistors look like a 22k (red-red-orange-red) and an 82K (gray-red-orange-red), which in parallel would be 17.3K. That would be a much more reasonable resistance change from the stock 15K resistor for making a bias adjustment.

As Cebreez correctly pointed out, the formula for calculating the overall resistance for two resistors in parallel is 1/Rtotal=1/R1+1/R2. If those really were 2.3K and 22K resistors, the overall resistance would be 2.08K!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK that makes a LOT more sense. I also did that calculation and got 2.08k and I knew that could not be right. This has been bothering me a little bit. I even had a dream about R29 wherein I figured out that they were wired in series not parallel. I had ordered some 18k resistors in case I wanted to replace R29 with a single resistor, but since I was getting 11.1v on the EL84s, I figured i'd leave well enough alone. Those resistor codes can be really difficult to decipher, especially in bad lighting.

I should have just stuck my multimeter on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the problem arises when you really don't know what the resistor tolerance value is. Here, most of them appear to be 2% (red band). But it get's pretty confusing when it's red at both ends! Where do you start from? One of the tipoffs for me was that 22K and 82K are both pretty common resistor values. 2.3K is not.

As you're probably aware, measuring resistors when they're installed in a circuit can be very misleading in some cases, if there are parallel paths from the two points you're measuring across. It just depends upon how the resistor is connected and what else is around it.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would have posted up the correct formula too, but by the time I found this thread it had already been sorted! Pretty slack for one of the resident EE's I know

On color codes though, often the tolerance band is spaced differently to the others, so if the gap between the value bands is say 2mm there might be a 3mm gap to the tolerance band. On 1/8W Metal film resistors with the four bands for value, it can get pretty hard to tell though so I tend to meter them "just to be sure". I once had a whole bag of 10K resistors from Futurlec turn out to be 1K resistors.......oops.

As DVM says though, when you have a lot of resistor experience, it often comes down to just having a feel for standard resistor values and what looks right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    On color codes though, often the tolerance band is spaced differently to the others, so if the gap between the value bands is say 2mm there might be a 3mm gap to the tolerance band. On 1/8W Metal film resistors with the four bands for value, it can get pretty hard to tell though so I tend to meter them "just to be sure".
    Yep, sometimes the band spacing is visible, but I find that to be so variable between resistor types and makers. For example, in C64's photo which I've copied below, the carbon comps have a pretty obvious larger gap to the tolerance band, but the band spacing on those gray oxide resistors is the same across the board. Like you said, the only way to be absolutely sure is to measure 'em with a meter--but that can be misleading when they're installed!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been noticing what I think is cone cry. It's worse on the neck pickup and on certain notes. Sounds like there's some resonance that causes some scratchy nastiness. At first I thought it was microphonics or rattlling plates in my tubes. But I'm pretty sure it's cone cry (after googling and reading descriptions of it) from the speaker. I've also got a Valve Jr. that I'd like to try to cram a 10-inch speaker into. And, I'd also like to get some new tubes in this Pro Jr.

So I headed on over to www.parts-express.com this morning because I also wanted a couple 1-Ohm resistors. I ordered up a couple Sovtek low-microphonic 7025 tubes and a pair of JJs, along with an Eminence Ramrod 10-inch speaker.

So the next project will be to do a couple mods to the Valve Jr. and hopefully get Alnico Emi from the P Jr. in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

High pitch squeal is from my One Spot. It's exacerbated mostly by TC polytune, but it's still there if I take it out of the chain. I had my local store order me a BBE SupaCharger (He can't get the Voodoo Pedal Power pedals), but he's giving me a pretty good deal ($116).

I gotta say that I prefer the tone of the original speaker, even with the tear. The Ramrod is crisp, clean and freakin LOUD. But I was digging the early breakup of the original Alnico. Once I fix the original speaker, I'll put it back in the Pro Jr. I finally cleaned out my garage so I think I'm gonna build a cab for my Valve Jr that will house a 10-inch speaker. Either that or maybe I'll just make a 10-inch external cab. It's too bad the Valve Jr 8-inch speaker is 16 Ohm (and my 10s are 8 Ohm) because it would be cool to make a cab with both an 8 and 10 inch speaker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123