Thread: I Need A New Jam Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Need A New Jam Buddy

After four fun years of weekly sessions, Dave informed me that he's taking a hiatus. He said his motivation to play just isn't there. He even said he might sell his gear. It's gonna be a big hole to fill, cuz I really feel the need to play with other folks, hate to play alone. I guess a new Craigslist ad is in order......

Post Thanks / Like

I think Frankenfretter is near you. Maybe you two could get together for jamming.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Portland, and I'm playing in a hobby band for fun. From what I remember you are not near to Portland, right?

Post Thanks / Like

NW: Sean and I have met. He's a really nice guy, but we have little in common musically.

aeolian: I'm in Corvallis - a bit far.

Bookkeeper's Son aka Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I am about 9 or so hours east and a bit north from you on the old Oregon trail. Too far, but I am looking for a jam partner or band sitch too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    Bookkeeper's Son aka Ron
    aka Heywood Jablomie...

Back on topic though, it's tough to find someone with whom to play. You have to be in the same place, with similar musical tastes, roughly equivalent ability levels, enough free time, and you have to get along as people. I wish you luck in finding someone new. Has craigslist worked pretty well for you in the past?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I was lucky when I placed my ad four years ago. I met two guys, Dave and one other. I was musically compatible with both, though the other one hooked up with a band shortly after we met. The musical match between Dave and me was pretty remarkable, with our tastes dovetailing in many ways. We had even owned some of the same obscure records in the past, and shared a mutual affection for the Moody Blues. Four years is a long time, and things change, but I'm very glad about those four years that we had fun and actually made some pretty nice-sounding noise.

This is only the second time I've tried to do this, but I've already received one promising response - I'm waiting for a call shortly. Living in a small town, I'm not sure how thin the pickins are.

And I'm hoping that Dave gets his mojo back sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, Ron. I hope you're able to find someone who fits the bill. Sorry about Dave, that's too bad. Maybe Kurt at Bullfrog would let you put up a note there?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion, Sean. I'll check out the local stores for bulletin boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, is your handle a Steely Dan reference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
    Ron, is your handle a Steely Dan reference?
    Of course (I crossed my old man back in Oregon, Don't take me alive)

And I AM a bookkeeper's son; my dad was a CPA!

Post Thanks / Like

Just as I thought. It is one of my favorite songs; I like it enough to learn how to play the intro solo. The best I can do is get reasonably close.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as I thought. It is one of my favorite songs; I like it enough to learn how to play the intro solo. The best I can do is get reasonably close.
    Cool! Anbody who attempts Larry Carlton has my respect.

Post Thanks / Like

I got but one reply to the ad so far, but I'm going to meet a new guy tomorrow afternoon. We didn't discuss a whole lot on the phone; seems that both of us felt that it makes sense to just get together and see what happens. He does seem to be a nice guy, with a quick sense of humor. And it's not very far away, which is good. Wish me luck; I'll report in again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow was a few days ago, so how did it go?

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow was a few days ago, so how did it go?
    Oops, forgot. It looks promising - we seem to have a lot in common musically, and personally, too, which is good. The guy is a very good harmony singer, so we're looking forward to doing CSN&Y type of stuff, which we both like. Starting next week, we're going to get together weekly and see how it goes.

After playing with the same guy for four years, it does feel strange starting all over again....kinda like my second marriage, minus the sex part.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, forgot. It looks promising - we seem to have a lot in common musically, and personally, too, which is good. The guy is a very good harmony singer, so we're looking forward to doing CSN&Y type of stuff, which we both like. Starting next week, we're going to get together weekly and see how it goes.

After playing with the same guy for four years, it does feel strange starting all over again....kinda like my second marriage, minus the sex part.
    I'm sure you can work something out, Ron.

Seriously, that's great. I love CSNY (as well as just CSN and Neil Young independently). If you guys start playing venues, let me know, I'll come down and heckle you. Oh, I meant applaud you, not heckle...
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Sean, like Bill Murray said in Stripes, "No sir! But we're willing to learn, sir!" (or something like that)

Post Thanks / Like

Sean, like Bill Murray said in Stripes, "No sir! But we're willing to learn, sir!" (or something like that)
    Do they send you someplace special?