Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Lots of Vox users

Thread: Lots of Vox users

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lots of Vox users

I noticed that alot of people here use the Vox AD amps. I have a Roland cube 60, how do they compare? I haven't tried the Vox but have been very pleased with my cube.
    Thanks, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Roland Cubes vs. Vox Valvetronix

Tones are similar and very usable on both. The Vox's effects are a little more tweakable, but as a result it is much more complex to use too. The Cubes are much much much more portable.

They are both rockin' amps, it's all in personal preference.
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the Cube 60, but I did compare the Cube 30 with my AD30VT. To my ears (and the ears of the guy I brought with me) the AD30VT sounded better. Don't ask me to define what "better" was because I'm not sure that even I could quantify it. It's not that I thought the Cube sucked, I just liked the AD30VT better. I was actually quite surprised at the time. I went to the store pretty much prepared to go home with the Cube.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't played through the Roland Cube 60, but I can certainly vouch for my AD30VT. Very versatile amp, and not overly complex to use. You can dial in the preset amp models and effects, or run in manual mode, as I always do, and tweak 'em to your liking. You're still limited in the ability to run multiple effects simultaneously (though several of the 11 effects are actually 2-effect combos), but you can always add pedals for more flexibility. But it's a kick to be able to go from a sparkly clean Fender Blackface sound to a screaming Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier ultra-distorted metal tone with a quick turn of a dial.

The amp's biggest weakness, IMO, is the cheap 10" speaker that comes in it. But for about $75 or so, you can drop in a much better speaker, like the Celestion G10 Vintage I installed in mine. Really smoothed out the harsh highs and firmed up the flabby bottom that I had with the stock speaker.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

I have a Vox AD 120VTX and also a Roland Cube 60 that I bought for my daughter as a practice amp. I actually like both amps very well. I like the Vox because it's plenty loud enough for gigs and lots of great tones in it.

I've played my daughter's Roland Cube quite a bit and I think that it actually sounds better than the vox on certain sounds. The Vox does a better job of Fender and Vox tones but the Cube seems have an overall smoothness about it that sounds better than the vox for certain settings.

The main reason that I use the Vox is for the flexibility in sounds (with the footswitch) and overall more volume for playing live. However, I've had a lot of compliments on the tone when I use the Roland Cube.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718