Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Klon Centaur

Thread: Klon Centaur

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Klon Centaur

So I saw Jeff Beck has a Klon Centaur. A quick look on ebay indicates sellers are letting them go for $1.000 - $1,499.99

Insane.

What's so special about them?

I am bit intrigued now. Are there any good Klon Clones that are very similar sounding for less moolah? Not that I need any more pedals, but curiosity is taking over my sense of judgment.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

GAS is a terrible thing, eh?

That is an insane price. I'll bet someone makes something close though.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I think DVM has had his and a friend's Klon Clone for sale here before, or at least the latter. I was considering buying it until I realized that I probably wouldn't use it much. Supposedly they do a good job as a boost, or at least that's the word on the street. I'd like to try one someday, but I think they've reached the point where the hype has exceeded the merit of the pedal, though they are supposedly a very good pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The Klon Centaur was a boutique overdrive/boost pedal hand-made by a guy named Bill Finnegan that first appeared in 1994, I think. The circuit design is quite unique compared to most overdrives, and the pedal has a fairly distinctive smooth overdriven tone. The Klon was reputedly equally effective as an overdrive or (with the gain control turned down) as a clean boost. It quickly established a reputation as a very well made and extremely good sounding pedal, and the waiting list grew long and the price rose.

When he was making them, they sold for about $400, I think. He ceased production in December 2009; I'm not aware of the reason why. Anyway, between the reputation it had established and the lack of supply of new ones, the price on used Klons started going up....and up....and UP! It's a good sounding pedal, but only a fool or a rich man would pay $1000+ for one.

Yes, you can get a good Klon clone (widely known as a Klone, ha-ha). I recently built one myself from a new PCB available from GuitarPCB.com, called the MKC-1 Mini-Klon. You can see a couple of photos in THIS POST on the BYOC forums. Coincidentally, I recently posted here on behalf of a fellow moderator over at the BYOC forums who was looking to sell one of those clones. You could have gotten it for a mere $80:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/19148

Robert, I could put you in touch with him if you're interested in buying one. I'm pretty sure he's still making them to order, but I'm guessing that it would run a bit more than $80....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I missed that deal. So how can I get one now... hehe ?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert. Have you seen this?

Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Robert. Have you seen this?

Yep. Saw that.

Post Thanks / Like

Madbean used to have Klones too if your keen to DIY. It's like that booteek cousin, the King of Tone. I made one and it's a nice pedal, but there's no chance I'd pay the asking price and wait over a year to have one made. Unless of course I could be bothered using it and then selling it on for a profit as seems to be done a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    Madbean used to have Klones too if your keen to DIY.
    Not any more. He discontinued his "Sun King" Klon clone.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

DVM, how does that Klone sound in comparison pedals you have made? Any similarity to ZYS?