Thread: Start playing in public

Post Thanks / Like

Default Start playing in public

Hello, I'm an old newby. Im a jazz blues gospel lover. I want to start playing in public. I'm looking for hints a to where should I start?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

I'd think you're gonna have to do a little detective work... Since "gospel" is in your description, I'd start at church. If you have a band that plays during services, I'd ask them if they know anybody that would be interested in jamming. If they don't, I'd ask if they knew anyone who might know anyone to jam with.

Secondly, music stores in your area might have a musician's referral board in the store with ads for bands looking for players. Get some numbers and make a call or two. The store itself might sponsor an open mike night at a local club for folks to get together for some informal fun. Or, if the store gives lessons, the instructor might have some students that would be interested in playing.

Our local community college has a music program, and there are tons of students with guitars. If that is available in your area, you could go and talk with a few of those folks and see if they have any get togethers for jamming and fun. The school has a jazz band that one can take as an elective for one hour credit per week. That might be fun to sign up for, if it's available in your area.

Check Craigslist to see if there are any groups looking for members. Local papers might have a musician's referral section in the classifieds, if the town you live in is big enough. I found my longest running band that way. Made a call, went to a couple of auditions, and got the spot as lead guitarist.

Finally, if there are any jazz/blues clubs in your area, stop by for a set every once and a while and get to know your local bands. In time, they might refer you to someone, or even when their next jam session / practice is happening.

You could also ask around at work and see who plays. You might be surprised to know who does, and for how long! I worked with a friend for a couple of years before I knew that he played guitar. I went to his home one night, and ended up jamming for hours. We had a ball, and ended up writing a bunch of tunes and forming a little band that played out a couple of times (couldn't seem to find a reliable drummer, but that's another story!)

Finally (and this would be the most nerve racking since you haven't played out yet) you could go to an open mike night somewhere with a couple of tunes prepared, and just go play by yourself. Like minded musicians might want to jump in and jam, too. There was a little restaurant in the area where I used to live that did informal jams on Monday nights. Usually, there was a keyboard player, a couple bass players, a lot of guitarists and a drummer or two there. We did a lot of just fun, informal jamming over blues, rock, country and southern rock tunes. It used to drive Mrs. Kat nuts, 'cause I'd go there to get some sandwiches to go, see some folks that I knew, and end up playing on the house equipment for a couple songs. The sandwiches would be all soggy, but I would return home with a big ol' grin on my face.

Musicians are a friendly bunch, by and large, all you have to do is ask! It's all about networking and making friends. Don't be in a hurry to play live just yet, but find a group of guys / gals that are interested in jamming, and go hang out and have a good time. The playing live will work itself out from there.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Kat already said everything I would've! Welcome and "break a leg!" Playing out in public can be addictive! Big fun. I play both in church and rock bands.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a way that's totally non threatening - what I did: called around town to find the Assisted Living Center that got the least attention - with church groups coming in doing programs, etc. Asked if I could come once a week for a couple months to see how it works out - made up a songbook with old hymns (Public Domain). I began by going for 1/2 hour, which worked well - but about halfway thru the "gig" I throw in an old James Taylor, John Denver, or even something crazy like John Prine - and they love it, and I do too. It keeps me playing on a regular basis, with some purpose & meaning in what I'm doing. I have lots of stories about incredible stuff that has come out of this relationship with people who have a real history, and for many, music was integral! We love it.

-Phil