Thread: Scuffham Modeling Software

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scuffham Modeling Software

I imagine some of you have heard of this, but it looks like some pretty nice modeling software:

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/

There are only three amps, and they're designed by the software author (not intended as carbon-copy models), but they sound pretty good to me and supposedly have pretty good IRs. Best of all, it's only $75. When I someday unearth my computer from storage, I might buy this.

One thing I noticed from the youtube demo below is that it seems to model the entire amp, not just one channel or setting or something. I imagine some of the newer modeling software out there does this as well, but I've only ever really used the Fender Fuse and Line 6 POD Farm. Those only seem to model, for instance, the extreme end of a Dual Rectifier, so you get the famous sound, but not the entire amp.

Anyway, check it out. They have some good clips on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it out as a standalone app and I've got to say it sounds pretty good. Easy on the CPU and RAM and the latency is not bad. Not great but not bad. Certainly could hold it own with most apps and vst's on the market, tonally speaking. The IR's worked flawlessly but it doesn't like 32bit samples or any IR with over 20000 samples. That cuts out about have of my IR cabs and would definitely be pushing it for good quality studio reverb. Since I'm using the trial version I'm sure there is limitations so I need to go back to the website and see what is included in the full version but......
    In the trial version I could not import any vst effects, there is no record or loop option, and there is nowhere to get at the effects. You can only pick presets. The tone is good but there are better free options online as vst's. With VstHost or LiveProfessor and some free amp sims such as AcmeBarGig, Aradaz, and Poulin and studio gear by Modern, Cabinet modeling with TribeIR or Reverb modeling with CatharsisIR.
    Before you shell out the cash for this one... Check out some of the other standalones... Plektron Guitar Amp, Peavey Revalver MkIII, Kaussa AmplifikationCreme, and of course the one I can never think of by Native Instruments... darn!!! Oh.... Guitar Rig.
    I have tried and used them all for recording, for practice, but none of them are really good for live use. The only one close in the software game is the Digi Eleven rack unit which is a hardware rack unit sporting vst plugins. But the price is steeeep!
    Live Professor is meant to be used live but is still in beta. And has no hardware interface.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I forgot about Vandal Amps and of course "Amplitube"... duh. Can't believe I forgot that one. I somehow managed to get a free copy of Vandal Amps and I like the best... well just behind Peavey Revalver.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool post, Eric. I'm surprised there aren't more comments to this post. This software is fantastic and a steal for $75 bucks. You get a year and a half of updates + support. I've seen threads on other boards where people have mentioned this to be as good as Fractal Audio's AXE-FX which will cost you over $2,000 just for starters. I don't own one of those units so I couldn't say but I will tell you that the software sounds sickly good - great response to the volume knob on the guitar, sits sweetly in the mix, very easy to dial in a great sound!

I'm working on a track where I am using S-Gear for all my guitar processing. I'll be sure to share when completed.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    I'm working on a track where I am using S-Gear for all my guitar processing. I'll be sure to share when completed.
    Nice. Please do!
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Still owe you a completed track, Eric, but just thought that I'd mention that v2.0 was released yesterday. Free update for existing users. Still $75 for new users. This software is just off the f00kin' hook. I don't use anything else for modeling when recording other than my firewire interface, DAW, and the Scuffham VST. The Digitech RP500 is used solely as a pedalboard in front of my amps.

I'm bumping this thread to make you all aware of the update and to shine a light on Scuffhan in general because I truly believe that they have a superior product.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks for the bump -- I also saw recently that version 2.0 is out. I'm really anticipating trying the software soon.