Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tim and I just got an RC-2 Pedal! - Boss Content

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tim and I just got an RC-2 Pedal! - Boss Content

YEAH!!!

First impressions - VERY COOL. The drums sound pretty cool through a Marshall. First thing I did was listen to all the internal drum loops provided in the pedal. I'll probably spend this weekend practicing with the drums because it's one thing to play along with a human drummer....another to play along with a digital one. Once I read the manual, soak it in and practice, I'll try some simple loops with the rhythm. I may get my kids to video my attempts....or something.

Tim - When you get home email me and we'll talk shop.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweet, man. I have been enjoying "virtually" watching you enjoy your birthday. Hope the hangover tomorrow isn't too hard!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an RC2 pedal on an UPS truck. It's for Christmas, but I'll have to try it out to make it works, won't I?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Would love to see a video clip of an RC2 in action!

That reminds me Robert didn't you promise us a video demo of your JamMan?
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Lev,

Here is the demo video from summer NAMM 06 in Austin, TX.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shown...m?newsid=3255#
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool video. Too bad that they had Captain Personality doing the presentation
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Tone! Tell us more after you've played with it for a bit.

Lev, yes I will keep my promise, just have patience! I am just too darn busy lately.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I managed to learn how to save 3 loops. 3 different styles of blues beats. Dang cool. Took me awhile to figure out how to set the tempo each time I changed the drum pattern. The guide and phrase levels mix in perfectly with my guitar signal. I don't have to really change anything once I balance the output of the drums with the guitar level. The unit accepts overdrive pedals nicely. I still have yet to try adding a bass though.

2 things I want ask those who know how to use them.

1. What I understand about loop pedals is - if I am playing with the guide (drum sound) I am only able to record a "loop" of one measure. Right? I am limited to 4 beats of recording. Correct?

I tried using the drum beats and leaving the pedal in recording mode trying to play an entire 12 bar blues rhythm and it recorded everything I did but it overdubbed them over each other in 4 beat increments like 12 loops playing at once on top of each other.

2. When I don't want to use the drum beats I can record a long length of whatever I want but when it plays back there is a gap of time after my last riff before it starts up again. I was under the impression that I could record an entire 12 bar rhythm without stopping and have THAT be my loop and it would quantize to the beginning of the rhythm immediately after the last lick. I guess I was wrong.

Still being able to record ideas or melodies that I want to practice with or add harmonies with is really cool. It's a great tool for this. Looping will be neat too even if you are limited to 4 beats of recording time. I have to get fancy and record chord changes on the fly.

As ToT said it's nice to be able to practice along with a drum beat. It makes you play tighter and it's helping me work out guitar licks and phrases that sound tasty against a timed beat. Working out variations of a lick over the beat is well worth the price of the pedal. I've barely begun to scratch the surface of this unit. I hope to rub minds with some of you pros so I can get a little more creative with it.
    Last edited by tone2thebone; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Tone,

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone

1. What I understand about loop pedals is - if I am playing with the guide (drum sound) I am only able to record a "loop" of one measure. Right? I am limited to 4 beats of recording. Correct?

I tried using the drum beats and leaving the pedal in recording mode trying to play an entire 12 bar blues rhythm and it recorded everything I did but it overdubbed them over each other in 4 beat increments like 12 loops playing at once on top of each other.
    I don't know what you did, but I am able to record as long as I want (probably until I hit the 16 min limit) while using the drum beats. way, cool!

2. When I don't want to use the drum beats I can record a long length of whatever I want but when it plays back there is a gap of time after my last riff before it starts up again. I was under the impression that I could record an entire 12 bar rhythm without stopping and have THAT be my loop and it would quantize to the beginning of the rhythm immediately after the last lick. I guess I was wrong.
    This works fine for me. I just stop recording right at the first beat of the next measure & everything flows mighty smoothly. It may be easier for me, because I got a Boss FS-5U momentary pedal & use it to control the tempo & and to stop recording, undo, & start the drum parts.
    As ToT said it's nice to be able to practice along with a drum beat.
    Hey! I just realized that tOt is both short for

tot Ou tard

and an anagram for it as well.

----------------------------------------------------------

Tone, can you explain the steps you are using to record with the drum tracks? We'll get this straightened out so you can play those 12 bar blues.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:30 PM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

You dog! How did you get the beat to work with the long recording! Tell me now!

Ok I just figured out auto record. Cooool.

You know I should also get one of those pedals you have tOt (actually it should be tOt instead of ToT you're right). Tapping the large boss pedal which sits above my other pedals on my pedal board is a little tricky. I thought of moving the loop pedal on the bottom row...but I just might get one of those FS-5U pedals.
    Last edited by tone2thebone; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You dog! How did you get the beat to work with the long recording! Tell me now!

Ok I just figured out auto record. Cooool.
    I don't think I'm using auot record. My understanding of auto is that it determines the tempo after the fact. I have the knob set on the circle/triangle
    (ie stop/play) ...lemme go get the manual....
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, nothing in the manual says exactly what I do. It's because I am using the FS-5U and just stumbled my way into it.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:37 PM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard

Tone, can you explain the steps you are using to record with the drum tracks? We'll get this straightened out so you can play those 12 bar blues.
    I start out by selecting a blank phrase spot on the phrase knob. Then I take a listen to the drum beats I want. Then I set the tempo on the drum beat....turn the knob to dot arrow (o>) and play with the beat and it only records 4 beats of the first bar of the 12 bars. If I continue to record the 12 bars while the beat plays it overlaps the first bar with the 2nd bar like it's just overdubbing in 4 beat increments. What am I doing wrong? *bangs head on desk repeatedly*
    Last edited by tone2thebone; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll remove my FS-5U & see if I can reproduce what you're doing...
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll remove my FS-5U & see if I can reproduce what you're doing...
    Ok. Thanks for your help. Maybe you can explain to me the steps YOU take. Maybe I can catch something I'm not doing right or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure enough, it behaves exactly as you say--overdubbing the second measure onto the first and then the third onto that. It gets very thick quite fast.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

With the pedal stopped and the dial set on circle/arrow

(on the back of each one saying what each one was...sorry, I went a little Arlo there)

and the memory cleared I set the tempo with the FS-5U. Then I step once on the RC-2 at the top of a measure, one measure later the RC-2 starts recording.
    When, I have finished I step once on the FS-5U to stop the recording and then the playback starts immediately.

To stop the playback I step once on the FS-5U. To undo I wait for the lights to stop blinking and then I hold down the FS-5U until the the lights stop blinking. To start up the rhythm track again, I just step once on the the FS-5U and lather, rinse, & repeat!

Tomorrow, I'll see if I can figure out how to do all that without the FS-5U.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Ok so I need an FS-5U then it sounds like. Thats interesting. You see how I was getting that overlapped stuff? It was crazy huh. I wonder if Guitar Center has the FS pedals. If not I'll have to order one from MF. Sounds like I can get what I want to do with that extention pedal!

To review...the steps you took above allowed you to record 12 bar with drums yes?

Post Thanks / Like

Tone try this:

1) Set the knob on music note NOT circle/arrow.

2) Tap out the tempo.

3) Hold the pedal down to set the tempo (wait for the lights to stop flashing).

4) Step on the pedal once at the top of a measure to start recording.

5) Step once at the bottom of the last measure and once again at what would be the top of the next measure to stop recording.

6) Playback should be immediate.

7) Hold down the pedal to undo (wait for lights to stop flasing).

It worked on mine. 12 bar blues city.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Tone try this:

1) Set the knob on music note NOT circle/arrow.

2) Tap out the tempo.

3) Hold the pedal down to set the tempo (wait for the lights to stop flashing).

4) Step on the pedal once at the top of a measure to start recording.

5) Step once at the bottom of the last measure and once again at what would be the top of the next measure to stop recording.

6) Playback should be immediate.

7) Hold down the pedal to undo (wait for lights to stop flasing).

It worked on mine. 12 bar blues city.
    tOt was this without the FS-5U? I'll try it a little later. My kids are watching a Christmas movie ( I love Christmas movies) so I'll give it a whirl after a bit. Thank you for your help man!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast