Thread: Gov't Mule

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gov't Mule

Is this next for Warren Haynes now that his solo tour is wrapping up?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Ke5IM6moc

helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That was one of his encore songs on his recent tour. It sounded great with the ES-335 and PRS amps.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a song from 2001. If 'next' you mean more Govt. Mule? I hope so. That's a killer song from the Deep End Volume 1.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mule is one of those bands I've really tried to like, and it sounds really good, great tunes, impeccable musicianship and all...and that makes it really boring. Even their live albums are so meticulously crafted and perfect it just makes me yawn. Where's the rock? Where's the small imperfections that make it fresh? It's just too good! Another band that's much the same was Racing Slab...back in the day I copied their CD onto cassette and listened to it from a boombox, and it was much better that way. On CD it sounded way too sterile and neat.

I dunno, I just prefer raunchier stuff and looser playing and all...too neatly done, and it ain't rock'n'roll no more.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Mule is one of those bands I've really tried to like, and it sounds really good, great tunes, impeccable musicianship and all...and that makes it really boring. Even their live albums are so meticulously crafted and perfect it just makes me yawn. Where's the rock? Where's the small imperfections that make it fresh? It's just too good! Another band that's much the same was Racing Slab...back in the day I copied their CD onto cassette and listened to it from a boombox, and it was much better that way. On CD it sounded way too sterile and neat.

I dunno, I just prefer raunchier stuff and looser playing and all...too neatly done, and it ain't rock'n'roll no more.
    You'd probably like "Rockin' in the free world" and that type stuff then.

I do, but I also like Warren.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I strongly prefer the original lineup of the Mule to any incarnations that came after. I don't begrudge Warren and Matt from trying to keep a project they like going, but the rawness and power of their sound in the Woody era is something they've not (to my ears) replicated in the years since his death. They've tried other bass players. They've tried going to a quartet set up with a keyboardist. It just doesn't work for me. Like Dee said, it sounds too polished and arranged.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    This is why I strongly prefer the original lineup of the Mule to any incarnations that came after. I don't begrudge Warren and Matt from trying to keep a project they like going, but the rawness and power of their sound in the Woody era is something they've not (to my ears) replicated in the years since his death. They've tried other bass players. They've tried going to a quartet set up with a keyboardist. It just doesn't work for me. Like Dee said, it sounds too polished and arranged.
    Do you mean to say that the bass player makes a big difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Do you mean to say that the bass player makes a big difference?
    Well certainly when it's Allen Woody it does.

However, my actual point was that it seems to me that what once seemed like a true band, a cohesive expression of all three members now seems more a vehicle to provide rhythm tracks over which Warren can jam and sing. The spontaneity of the original Mule seems long gone.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Well certainly when it's Allen Woody it does.

However, my actual point was that it seems to me that what once seemed like a true band, a cohesive expression of all three members now seems more a vehicle to provide rhythm tracks over which Warren can jam and sing. The spontaneity of the original Mule seems long gone.
    That sounds very close.

Warren's Man In Motion album and tour was a much needed and appreciated direction into R & B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is that so? Which early album(s) would you recommend, then? Because it's always been a band I wanted to like, just never got excited about it when I've tried. Maybe some albums would better suit my tastes?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that so? Which early album(s) would you recommend, then? Because it's always been a band I wanted to like, just never got excited about it when I've tried. Maybe some albums would better suit my tastes?
    To be honest, for me the Mule was never really a studio-album band. I'd seen them several times live and began accumulating some live shows on CD and that was the vast majority of their stuff that I listened to. If you can find a copy of the June 7, 1996 show from Chicago, that to me is the sound of "classic Mule." Not sure if you can find that specific show, but they've always allowed taping, so finding shows from that era shouldn't be too difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dunno. I love some of their cover stuff, like this one of Cortez the Killer.

Another version:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    I dunno. I love some of their cover stuff, like this one of Cortez the Killer.

Another version:
    Not at all saying I don't like the way they play covers, just prefer them live to anything they've done in the studio. That said, I cannot stand when they play "War Pigs" because as good a drummer as Matt Abst is, he NEVER EVER gets that intro right and without the drumming in the intro of "War Pigs" what's the point?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Mule. Even the studio work.

Now I have to check out more their live material.