Thread: NGD- Korg Wavedrum Mini

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD- Korg Wavedrum Mini

I stopped in a local music shop the other day and came across the Korg Wavedrum mini. I played around with it for a few minutes and had quite alot of fun with it. It has a pressure sensitive vinylish "skin" as well as a separate clip sensor that you can attach to just about anything to make any surface a wavedrum too. I've been feeling a bit deprived lately so I ordered one and have played around with it a little more at home. When I play it in Protools using effects like Guitar Rig and Amplitube I can make the drums sound like anything I want. It's really a blast. It comes with an external speaker too as well as a looper and 100 preset rhythms so you can just monkey around creating different beats, textures and even rhythms. Now I really want to get an actual WaveDrum too which is a more complex and versatile instrument that behaves and reacts even more like a real drum head but with all sorts of tonal possibilities too.

Here's a real nice demo:

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Happy New Wavedrum Day!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

That is too cool! Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Syo,

Thanks for the head's up on this Korg Wavedrum! I bought it for my wife as a Christmas present and she is really digging it. Right now she is playing it through my Vox VT-30 in the living room and it sounds great. The only thing I have to figure out is how that external sensor works as it seems to stop functioning when clipped to different things. You can use both the built-in pad and the clip at the same time with the rhythm looper, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, this looks cool!
    I'm an excellent drummer if I only use my fingertips, so this could work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Hey Syo,

Thanks for the head's up on this Korg Wavedrum! I bought it for my wife as a Christmas present and she is really digging it. Right now she is playing it through my Vox VT-30 in the living room and it sounds great. The only thing I have to figure out is how that external sensor works as it seems to stop functioning when clipped to different things. You can use both the built-in pad and the clip at the same time with the rhythm looper, no?
    Hey Don. Cool gift for your wife. Even cooler that your wife is into things like that.

The sensor picks up vibrations so any surface that vibrates when you hit it should work. If not, perhaps there's something wrong with the sensor. If it works on a table top though it's probably fine and it just that whatever surface you're fwapping is resonant enough. Yes you can use them at the same time and assign different sounds to each. Tambourines and water bottles are both cool will the sensor.

Merry (belated) Christmas, Don! So what did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey syo! The mini-drum isn't something that Dorothy would buy herself but she is making some noise with it and seems to be having a good time. The sensor is, in fact, working. I was just attaching it to table that doesn't have much resonance. That clip is so clever!

As for me, I started "running" again so my wife got me this cool Timex Ironman watch with GPS. My favourite thing about it is that you can upload the sensor data and see your routes/times.

What about you? Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like

The watch sounds cool. Maybe I should get one too and start running myself. The GPS could come in handy to help the authorities find my body after the heart failure. I need to get into shape myself...

Let's see, this Christmas was a Korg Mini KP, Nintendo 3DS, music theory books, sweaters, The Black Keys newest, gloves etc. Nice haul this year. Happy New Year to you too. Hopefully this year we can get together!