Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My introduction

Thread: My introduction

Post Thanks / Like

Default My introduction

Hey everyone, I'm Tom.

I'm returning to guitar after about 12 years away from playing. In high school and college, music was my life. It's funny how things slip away.

Some years ago, I sold my beloved 1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse, which I am now learning was a huge mistake.

I'm in the process of putting together a new setup. I've already picked up a Takamine acoustic/electric and have put down a deposit on a used Ibanez Prestige S1220 and a new Fender Mustang III that I love.

Musically, I'm an old Dream Theater, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Racer X kind of guy.

When I'm not playing guitar, I'm a product designer at a software company and I race bicycles for a local Philly team.

-Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret Tom!

Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret! I have a 1990 Soloist Pro that I got on CL in trade for a '68 Champ that I had about $250 into.

Jackson Dinky reverse headstock, on Philly CL:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/2700993461.html

Another:
    http://delaware.craigslist.org/msg/2700545264.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Commodore. I just feel like the new Jackson's aren't the same (though I keep thinking of picking up a Rhoads V some day).

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to thefret Tom.

I've retired from racing but still train with the guys and spend plenty of time solo riding all the high altitude single track around here. If you do a search here you can probably find my photos with the guys from Queensryche. So what machine are you riding this year?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Spudman, My road bike is a Giant TCR Advanced SL and my TT bike is a Specialized S-Works Transition.

Post Thanks / Like

The TCR is a nippy little bike. A few guys here have them. I used to race an S Works mountain bike when they first came out. Cat 2,3,4?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Tom!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 4, mostly a sprinter. I've decided that I'm too old to take my life in my hands every week so I'm focusing my next season trying to get a 40K in under an hour, so no upgrades for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow Tom, you sound like a bunch of us here! Several of us have drifted away from the guitar only to come back later. I like the Mustang amps, and your guitar list sounds like a great start (you know there will be more later, right? )

I'm a retired bike racer. I've taken off from riding 18 months due to a weird night work schedule, but am slowly getting back into riding over the last 2 months. I was a cat 3 track/4 road/sport XC (but mostly open single speed XC) racer off and on for a few decades. I still have the original Giant TCR, which is fine for my needs. A single speed Fisher Rig 29'er, a Giant NRS 1 for full suspension and gears. Oh, and a Soma Rush fixed gear, which is my main road ride. (they keep me away from pointed objects and gears here at the home)

My wife is from S. Jersey, so I've become a bit of a Eagles and Philly's fan.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjw1974 View Post
    I've decided that I'm too old to take my life in my hands every week ...
    I hear ya. Nothing like sliding along the asphalt at 30 mph...leaving patches of lycra and skin behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I hear ya. Nothing like sliding along the asphalt at 30 mph...leaving patches of lycra and skin behind.
    Yep, I gave up road racing several years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Tom!

We share many of the same influences. Enjoy, and post often!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Tig, I have no doubt. I tend to be a bit of a collector (I own 5 bikes), so I'm sure I'll have a few more guitars before I'm done. Best of all, my wife is cool with all of it (she just asks that I buy things that are "pretty".... which to her includes my very slick black and white time trial bike!)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Tom! Glad to have you here. I'm also one that took a long hiatus (around 15 years) away from the guitar, only to come back. It's a nice feeling, isn't it?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Tome!

What kind of products do you design?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Frankenfretter, it will feel a lot better once I get some ability back. It's not fun remembering that i used to be able to do something and not to be able to do it anymore.

Robert, my company makes drafting and modeling software for architects and engineers. I designed two 3D modeling tools for our upcoming release plus the overall layout for the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, amazing - so many bike riders. I never rode seriously until my kids started BMX racing, then I took that up to give some encouragement and chase them around. I got 9th in the 2008 Australian Nationals, Won the Victorian State Series & Metro Plate series 2008 & got second in the 2008 Vet Pro class.

Kids have lost interest now (youngest acts, eldest plays bass), so I've sold the PK Ripper, but still have my cruiser

Wish I had guitar history to go with that, but I'm a newbie - still on my first learner guitar (Strat copy made by Harlem). I'll upgrade once I've learned to play a bit better