Thread: Singing and Playing

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Glacies, how long have you been playing? Are you referring to playing rhythm chords while singing, or playing something more complicated while singing? I've seen other forum posts about this "problem", and it kinda blows my mind, because I've been doing it since beginner lessons, and can't imagine not being able to (no denigration intended). I think practice is gonna be the key, starting with easy and familiar songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    Glacies, how long have you been playing? Are you referring to playing rhythm chords while singing, or playing something more complicated while singing? I've seen other forum posts about this "problem", and it kinda blows my mind, because I've been doing it since beginner lessons, and can't imagine not being able to (no denigration intended). I think practice is gonna be the key, starting with easy and familiar songs.
    I picked up the guitar somewhere around 5 years ago, played it off and on. In the last year or two I've gotten much more serious about my playing though, so small beans compared to you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
    I picked up the guitar somewhere around 5 years ago, played it off and on. In the last year or two I've gotten much more serious about my playing though, so small beans compared to you guys.
    You'd be surprised...

I guess the advice in here is pretty solid: pick some simple three or four-chord songs with a steady rhythm and just practice singing the vocals along with it. I found songs by Travis and Oasis (no surprise there, considering it's me) to be good for that sort of stuff, because they usually have an acoustic guitar and are fairly straightforward rhythmically. Before I had the gumption to sing while playing, I used to hum or whistle while playing the guitar, and I found that to be a decent compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner