Thread: Video of a recent recording session.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Video of a recent recording session.

Instead of doing a traditional studio recording (as the band's done for the past four albums) we decided to rent out a 150+ year old barn and just set up and jam. We had a friend of ours bring in a mobile recording studio to capture the audio. It really comes across like a live performance. This is just a preliminary mix synced to a Flip video recorder. This was also the first time I played pedal steel on this tune as I usually just play the 6-string. It's a little long, but the sax solo and Tim's guitar solo are both pretty ripping.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

What a GREAT idea!! And I really dig the groovy vibe on this tune.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks RB. It was nice not recording in separate rooms with headphones on.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Imagine -- live off the floor recording. I hope more people opt for it. Very good tune and players, too.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

That was great. Thanks for posting. What are the rail pickups in the Tele?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the LOOK of your video......with the rustic feel. Nice playing all around. What tuning do you have your steel necks set to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    That was great. Thanks for posting. What are the rail pickups in the Tele?
    Tim has Joe Barden pickups in his Tele. They're screamers.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    I really like the LOOK of your video......with the rustic feel. Nice playing all around. What tuning do you have your steel necks set to?
    The neck that I play on this tune is standard pedal steel E9. The neck closer to me is tuned to C6. I don't really use it too much. It's more for swing and jazz styles.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Great sound, tune and playing!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great tune! Dig the PBR's

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rkwrenn View Post
    Wow, great tune! Dig the PBR's

Cheers
    We've been getting a lot of flack for the quantity of beer cans in the video. I'm not too concerned.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub View Post
    We've been getting a lot of flack for the quantity of beer cans in the video. I'm not too concerned.
    Don't be. Seriously. First though, that video was EPIC man. It's nicely shot, sounds fantastic, is in an interesting location, and the playing by all of you is outstanding. I'd have loved to have been a part of something like that. So back to beer, really? Have we reached a point where hanging out jamming over a few beers isn't cool any more? Not that long ago the room could have been filled with coke and hookers and people would have said "Rock and Roll Man". I much prefer seeing beer cans in a video than a tray of mountain spring water and diet sprite.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I enjoyed that. It's also reignited my GAS for a Canon 7D. I'm imagining pretty much the same style of filming, but with a really shallow depth of field. That'd look superpro.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! The location adds a cool visual for the band's performance. I love the Tele sound and general vibe of the song. I really like the steel also, great sounds!

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    So back to beer, really? Have we reached a point where hanging out jamming over a few beers isn't cool any more? Not that long ago the room could have been filled with coke and hookers and people would have said "Rock and Roll Man". I much prefer seeing beer cans in a video than a tray of mountain spring water and diet sprite.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I enjoyed that. It's also reignited my GAS for a Canon 7D. I'm imagining pretty much the same style of filming, but with a really shallow depth of field. That'd look superpro.
    No, I was just kidding about the beer. Any mention of it's been in good fun.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed that a lot Patrick. Love the sound of the pedal steel. It goes nicely with the guitarist's tone. Nice to see how good a band can sound all playing together in one room. Thanks for posting.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

i really like the vibe on that....very sweet!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Great vibe!

I'm doubly impressed with the video quality of that Flip recorder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 60's guy View Post
    I'm doubly impressed with the video quality of that Flip recorder.
    We were too.
    Patrick