Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ronnie Earl

Thread: Ronnie Earl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ronnie Earl

Heard a song on the radio with the most incredible playing and tone and had to sit through two more songs just to see who it was - Ronnie Earl. Anyone know him? He's from Boston and I had heard the name but not his playing. He does a great blues/jazz thing. In looking him up, someone said that they imagine him as the heir to Stevie Ray Vaughan in the sense that this is what SRV may have sounded like today had he lived and continued playing. Anyway, some pretty great stuff. I'm ordering his cd 'Hope radio', which you can sample at Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVg4...eature=related
    Beautiful slow blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO7_e...eature=related
    Blues for Otis Rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wLIO...8842FFE2440760
    Solo blues, from an instructional video.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Ronnie Earl music, he has such a great touch and feeling he always surprised me. Him and Duke Robillard use to share the spot on the Roomful of Blues. His style of jazzy blues is great to learn how to improvise !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Ronnie in the early 90's at Manny's Car Wash in NYC, a small intimate venue that's no longer around. He did 3 sets, all instrumental. Never throughout the night was he boring or repetitive. He went from standing there making his famous rat face and ripping off blazing riffs to sitting on the edge of the stage and coaxing the bluest of sounds out of that Strat. Definitely a great player. I was about 5 feet from the stage and felt like I was just immersed in the music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    Him and Duke Robillard use to share the spot on the Roomful of Blues.
    I went to high school with Duke (Mike) Robillard and I sat in with him a few times before he spawned Roomful of Blues. Mike was 15 years old when I first met him and he was way way way ahead of everyone else when it came to guitar playing and he still is. As talented as Ronnie Earl is, he was always jealous of Duke and he's still a Duke Robbilard wannabe. That's just my opinion. I've also heard through the grapevine that Ronnie Earl is a bear to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 60's guy View Post
    I went to high school with Duke (Mike) Robillard and I sat in with him a few times before he spawned Roomful of Blues. Mike was 15 years old when I first met him and he was way way way ahead of everyone else when it came to guitar playing and he still is. As talented as Ronnie Earl is, he was always jealous of Duke and he's still a Duke Robbilard wannabe. That's just my opinion. I've also heard through the grapevine that Ronnie Earl is a bear to work with.
    Hmmmm. I knew of and like Duke Robbilard, so I was pleased to find this cd while I was looking at Ronnie's stuff, and I ordered this one, too: http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Meets-Ear..._mus_ep_dpi_13

I saw Room Full of Blues this fall at an outdoor show and really liked them - don't know the name of the current guitarist, but he is also very good!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 60's guy View Post
    As talented as Ronnie Earl is, he was always jealous of Duke and he's still a Duke Robbilard wannabe. That's just my opinion. I've also heard through the grapevine that Ronnie Earl is a bear to work with.
    Well it's just your opinion and I respect it For me as for the style of guitar they both play my preference goes to Ronnie Earl probably far less versatile but more intense. Another player that I admire in this style is the great Anson Funderburgh
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an upbeat tune from Ronnie that I really like, recorded live in Europe--the Freddie King classic, San-Ho-Zay. No video, but give it a listen.

P.S. Gotta love that Fiesta Red '62 Strat. SWEETNESS!!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!