Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Disappointing facts about pop music

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I am no fan of Elvis, but he can still sell records by the bucketful, so he must be good.
    I am no fan of Streisand but she can still sell records by the bucketful, so she must be good.
    I am no fan of beaver but he can still sell records by the bucketful, so he must be good.

I am a fan of Pink Floyd, they still sell records and they are good

lol

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, when I saw Streisand, I reacted. She is (or at least used to be) a fantastic vocalist, miles ahead of many past and current pop voices.

Example:

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my original point was to say that I think Babs is one of those truly stratospheric artists, actually deserving the title of superstar. She is in a sparcely populated place in modern popular music. I am by no means a Streisand fan, I just know brilliance when I hear it.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    I think my original point was to say that I think Babs is one of those truly stratospheric artists, actually deserving the title of superstar. She is in a sparcely populated place in modern popular music. I am by no means a Streisand fan, I just know brilliance when I hear it.
    ^ this. Agreed 100%.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    I must agree. While I don't listen to her often or watch her concert videos for more than 2 or 3 songs, I cannot deny her voice to be among the best ever recorded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    And in 1969 The Archies sat atop the charts for four weeks and made massive amounts of money off of "Sugar Sugar."

There will always be pop music most of us find trite or unappealing and it will often outsell those artists we do find more, well... artistic.

Just remember though, in the 90s people had the same conversation about how the Spice Girls sold records and "real artists" weren't doing as well. Those real artists still sell plenty and endure while the Spice Girls are doing what now? Do you not think it will play out differently with Katy Perry and Ke$ha and the rest? At some point, Bieber's fans will age out just as happened to New Kids on the Block and Menudo and all down the line.

Real music endures. It always does.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, but I kinda liked "Sugar Sugart" by the Archies. I was in the demographic at the time. The Jackson Five kicked their a$$ though.

As for currently popular music, I have no idea who most of those people are and where people listen to them. The radio 'round here doesn't play them, nor do the stations I used to listen to back in Seattle, when I listen whilst visiting. Heck, I was even stumped somewhat on who some people were at the last grammys.

I do believe there are plenty of good writers out there, and some are even mildly popular, like Jeff Tweedy and Wilco. I have to pretty much just ignore the teeny bopper list. I am no longer in the demographic, and rarely run across that stuff.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Petty sums up the current music industry....

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I see plenty of good bands just going out for drinks on a Saturday night.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12