Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Prince playing for a dead crowd

Thread: Prince playing for a dead crowd

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prince playing for a dead crowd

This is interesting. Look at the audience! They are dead. Sad. I don't that is usually the scenery for Prince when he plays somewhere!

I am seeing him next week. Can't wait. It is going to be SOOO awesome. Wish I could smuggle my camera in...

Love the start of this video too!

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Some great guitar faces anyway.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure a couple dancing girls would improve my playing. Of course it wouldn't be worth it once my wife got ahold of me.

Is this Prince trying out for the Superbowl halftime show? If so, it may be a bunch of coprporate bureaucrats playing judge.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Great performers, crappy sound mix, and proof that corporate is soulless and heartless!
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Curly Cord!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know exactly what kind of setting that is, but it looks sort of like a corporate shindig of sorts.

I have no doubt in my mind that his regular concert gigs are much more energetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy smokes, Prince could play his butt off.......great axe work. This is really old footage......if you watch the scroll on the bottom, it say something about WR Fred Biletnikoff retiring......so that would be about 1979-1980?

Check out the vid around the 1:05-1:20 mark.....who's the trumpet player? Looks like Wynton Marsalis to me.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. That was a pretty hot show and a fairly simple lineup, relatively speaking. I thought Prince was great on the guitar and the band had it together. Also that Telecaster is really awesome.

Anyway, the crowd seemed to definitely be way off on some other wavelength. They might have had these pre-conceived ideas of who Prince was and couldn't figure out what was going on when he started playing. Like, "What's this? He's playing "Johnny B. Goode" - I think . . . ". And then he follows up with something they definitely never heard anything like before. And probably "Big Brother" Was watching. "Can't act like I'm digging this now, can I?".
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Mortician's convention?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound View Post
    Is this Prince trying out for the Superbowl halftime show? If so, it may be a bunch of coprporate bureaucrats playing judge.
    This gets my vote. It's on the NFL network, has a SB XLI logo (which is when Prince played the halftime show), and WRT the Biletnikoff news, it said he was retiring as the WR coach from the Raiders and that he was 63. He's 68 now. Super Bowl XLI took place in 2007. So it makes sense I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch Eric........you did better than my ole eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it certainly looks like a dead crowd. That must have been a tough gig for him to play to a bunch of unresponsive people. ... Hey how does one get dancing girls like this to go with the rest of your rig. Somehow after watching this video it seems boring to have only a pedal board and amp without the dancing girls. :-)

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer View Post
    Yes, it certainly looks like a dead crowd. That must have been a tough gig for him to play to a bunch of unresponsive people. ... Hey how does one get dancing girls like this to go with the rest of your rig. Somehow after watching this video it seems boring to have only a pedal board and amp without the dancing girls. :-)

--Jim
    Exactly! I am thinking - advertise on Craigslist? hehe
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer View Post
    ... Hey how does one get dancing girls like this to go with the rest of your rig. Somehow after watching this video it seems boring to have only a pedal board and amp without the dancing girls. :-)

--Jim
    Yes, but it takes only one dancing girl to initiate a divorce!
    It takes many amps and pedal boards to get even close on the divorce scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Tig, you are correct sir! (said in an Ed McMahon voice)

My wife doesn't get so mad about the occasional new equipment purchase ... I don't know how mad she might get if I played in a group with dancing girls, but I'd surely get into a lot of trouble with my wife and my daughters over that one. :-)

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone needs dancing girls here and there to keep their guitar skills moving forward, obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound View Post
    My guess is that he was brought in to entertain the NFL's big sponsors as a part of the Super Bowl festivities.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else see the similarities between the ease he has playing and the ease that Jimi Hendrix did? Guys like that make it all look so easy that I wonder just exactly why I have guitars and struggle with trying to play them... I should move on to something that's not so difficult! LOL

Scott
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanEVO_Dude View Post
    Anyone else see the similarities between the ease he has playing and the ease that Jimi Hendrix did? Guys like that make it all look so easy that I wonder just exactly why I have guitars and struggle with trying to play them... I should move on to something that's not so difficult! LOL

Scott
    When that's all you do then you become that proficient. I remember when I was playing 6-7 nights per week I hardly ever looked at the fretboard anymore. I could stay total focused on the hotties on the dance floor while putting on a show...similar to Prince.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.