Thread: Hewlett-Packard vent...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Hewlett-Packard vent...

Man, I need to vent about my inkjet...this is the LAST piece of HP equipment I'll ever buy for sure. Nothing made by Hewlett- Packard will ever come near my house again. I've had their scanners, printers, PDA, drives, whatever, and EVERY single piece of equipment from HP has been utterly crap in one way or another.

Now the annoyance is my inkjet. Sure, I understand an inkjet is NOT the good choice when you don't print every day or whatever, and I do have a laser as well...but man, I bought new inks for it just this summer, cost me something like $70 too...and, I've printed about 3 full pages and 3-4 photographs on it in 6 months or so...and now it's dry again!

And the best thing is I haven't even used the thing in weeks, and the last I did it reported it had about half full cassettes.
    Now apparently that I installed a new Office 2010 suite and it made me re-install all printer drivers for some reason, it somehow deducted I must be a new owner or whatever and reports no ink...or some other built-in planned obsolescence scheme.

And now it's basically almost cheaper to buy a new printer than keep shelling out money for these damned HP cartridges...and it goes to thrash having printed maybe two dozen pages in its life, complete with nice TFT displays and whatnot...and the world is saved...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Dee, it is frustrating when thing don't work.

I have never had an HP inkjet, but I've had 2 Epson inkjets. My current one is an Epson all-in-one and it has worked well for several years, but ink will always occasionally be a problem. I read somewhere that inkjet printers should be turned off if they are not in use since leaving it on tend to cause the inkjet heads to clog up; I always do that. Even then the inkjet heads still clog up every once in a while. Then I have to run the cleaning process to get them unclogged. I assume the ink I use make a difference also. I don't buy Epson ink, but instead I buy compatible cartridges as they are a lot cheaper. There has been times when I bought cartridges of inferior quality which tend to clog more often and won't get unclogged unless I run the cleaning process over and over. And it wastes a lot of ink during cleaning. I have found a pretty good source of compatible ink now that has worked well for me the last couple of years. One features that I find to be very useful with this Epson is that I can scan documents into an pdf file (OK, it is really the software that does this). This makes emailing documents a lot simpler.

My only recent experience with HP equipment is an all-in-all computer (essentially an iMac lookalike) which I bought to replace my old desktop which died early this year. It has worked fine for about 9 months now so my opinion of HP equipment is a bit higher than yours.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a laserjet that worked pretty well for me for several years. Didn't hurt that I got it for free from my friend, but since it died I'm printer-less. I guess I'll have to plunge back into the market eventually, but when I do I will strongly consider a laser printer instead of an inkjet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Laser is definitely the way to go...I have two laser printers, both Samsung, and no issues with them.

I think the next one will be a color laser...they just tend to be quite big, which can be a problem.
    And then I'll stick to ordering photos online. It's way easier not to mention cheaper anyway.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

The printer cartridge business is a major ripoff, and HP is one of the biggest culprits. I refill my own with bulk ink. WAYYYYYYY cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My HP 5mp laserwriter, purchased in 1995!! still serves as a very good printer. Our more recent HP laserjets for home use have all been less good by a long shot. But any of our inkjets have been essentially garbage. I may bring my 5mp home for most printing, leaving the inkjet only for color, or invest in a decent laser printer for home. The Brother products seem pretty good lately, and the Canon's get good reviews.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Laser is definitely the way to go...I have two laser printers, both Samsung, and no issues with them.
    I've got a Samsung ML-1710 as well. Cheap, but it runs like a champ. WAY cheaper per page than an ink jet.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    My HP 5mp laserwriter, purchased in 1995!! still serves as a very good printer. Our more recent HP laserjets for home use have all been less good by a long shot. But any of our inkjets have been essentially garbage. I may bring my 5mp home for most printing, leaving the inkjet only for color, or invest in a decent laser printer for home. The Brother products seem pretty good lately, and the Canon's get good reviews.
    ^ +1

HP lasers are usually excellent. I've worked with and on them for many years back when I did more hands on tech support. Their stinkjets, no way!

I've had good luck with recent Canon inkjets, however.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started on HP Support or the lack of it..........

Calling Support

ME.... my server is dead, i have changed both power supplies and still dead.
    HP Can you go into the bios for me ?
    Me How ?
    HP Press F2
    Me How, there is no power to the server?
    HP What does the screen tell you
    Me Nothing it is blank
    HP Can you find a screen that works
    Me No, the server is dead
    HP Are there any lights on
    Me No it's dead, like a parrot (dead parrot sketch)
    HP Can you open the Server and take the ram out
    Me Nothing to do with the server, its the main board
    HP We cant go on until you have taken out the ram
    Me Look, nothing to do with the ram, the main board has died... no power at all
    HP (on hold for 20 minutes)........
    Me Now swearing to myself
    HP Looks like the main board has gone
    Me We have four hrs support
    HP Sorry but you have missed the deadline
    Me For F*** sake , you have kept me waiting for half an hour !!!!!
    HP No need to swear Sir
    Me ok
    HP Anything i can do for you Sir ?
    Me (under my breath.......Train your staff correctly).......
    Me No thanks
    HP Have a good day
    Me.........

This call took 30 minutes to find the fault ....... Dell took 5 minutes with the same sort of problem.

HP - support staff based in India
    Dell support either the Neverlands or Ireland

Post Thanks / Like

Most inkjets are pretty poor in build quality. My last printer was a Canon iP4500. Much more solid than the HP it replaced, it could actually feed paper straight (a major pain for photo printing) and the colour was accurate without hours of profiling. The HP just stopped recognising cartridges one day.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Related: I was just checking something on a Linux forum and someone said that an HP laptop was rejecting a non-stock wifi card, as, apparently, the BIOS 'whitelists' approved peripherals, and you can't even past POST with a non-approved one. Poster indicated he had no trouble of the sort with Dell, Acer, or Toshiba laptops.

Other/related: Locally, we had the venerable Digital Equipment Corp., or DEC. You could see the sign from the road, at DEC main campus. It then became Compaq, and it was sad-looking. I assume it reads HP now?
    A couple of years ago, I actually contracted for a start-up which was located in the mill building, original home of DEC. Odd thing to walk around the place where so much computer work was done!
    DEC's success brought tremendous weath to the area and created a huge pool of computer and specialized manufacturing expertise, and that momentum is still strong, many years later after DEC's passing.
    Last edited by poodlesrule; December 20th, 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    Less golf, more saxophone