Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gig/weekend report w/usual goofy-*ss pix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    I dunno - it's not that it's scary to rock out or what other people might think - it's just that it makes me personally feel stupid.
    You know, I think you touched on some decent points in there as to why you are the way you are (practical, fear of failure, etc.), and I think there's something else that might be at play in all of this: cynicism. It's possible you don't want to really let loose or try because you're afraid of the judgment, which sometimes is a reflection of how you would view yourself or how you view others. I feel that a lot of the time, and a lot of your words sound familiar to me (well, except for the atheism part). I mean, you already kind of touched on it with the part about being afraid to commit yourself to something 100%.

Dunno. Just an idea. I like your idea of embracing the difficult times and the bad parts of life. It's too easy to forget the contrast and appreciate the present when you have been through crap, much less when you haven't. I think embracing things like loss, hardship, etc. really bring the blessings of life into focus that much more. It's something I'm trying to realize more as I get older, particularly now when life is kind of tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to go all philosophical and drift from the original thread, BK. I think it's my lot in life to be a thread derailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

No worries Eric, I think it was very interesting. Have been super busy with work and the band or I'd have joined in.

I think people have to be natural on stage, For some people that entails standing stock still or whatever. Back in the day I certainly didn't move around the way I do now. I wasn't yet comfortable onstage at that point. That said, even at my first show ever I did a duckwalk, haha!

For me, I don't kid myself that what I'm doing is high art. Nor in my view was rock and roll ever meant to be. It's about cutting loose and having fun, or maybe cutting loose and getting angry, but either way I wanna see some abandon. I want a berserker. If I am onstage, that means I'm performing, and if I want anyone to give crap, there'd better be something there that distinguishes my performance from clicking on a file in an MP3 player, putting a CD in a changer, or putting a record on a phonograph. People can hear the music in those ways, but to me that's not the full rock and roll experience. I want something communal, something joyous, something wild. My favorite rockers bring that, and that is what I aspire to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    For me, I don't kid myself that what I'm doing is high art. Nor in my view was rock and roll ever meant to be. It's about cutting loose and having fun, or maybe cutting loose and getting angry, but either way I wanna see some abandon. I want a berserker. If I am onstage, that means I'm performing, and if I want anyone to give crap, there'd better be something there that distinguishes my performance from clicking on a file in an MP3 player, putting a CD in a changer, or putting a record on a phonograph. People can hear the music in those ways, but to me that's not the full rock and roll experience. I want something communal, something joyous, something wild. My favorite rockers bring that, and that is what I aspire to do.
    Well put, Brian!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    I think people have to be natural on stage, For some people that entails standing stock still or whatever. Back in the day I certainly didn't move around the way I do now. I wasn't yet comfortable onstage at that point. That said, even at my first show ever I did a duckwalk, haha!

Yep, lawyer rock hero! Giving it for the people! I hope to get into a performing situation some time where I can do some of the same. It doesn't need to be pretty or artistic or super skillful, but I would love to be able to give it up on stage and let it rock.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Yep, lawyer rock hero! Giving it for the people! I hope to get into a performing situation some time where I can do some of the same. It doesn't need to be pretty or artistic or super skillful, but I would love to be able to give it up on stage and let it rock.
    Go for it! So much fun.

As guitarists many of us obsess over our playing (OK, I don't but I'm old and set in my ways), and while it's good to do your best, you don't have to be EVH to put on a great show. From TH-SUN of this week (as opposed to last week, the subject of this thread), I had three public performances:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ics-of-course)

As crap of a guitarist as I am, I was easily the best guitarist at any of those performances (including other bands and my own bands). Which is unusual, haha! The bottom line is not how good a guitarist you are, it's whether the performance, in toto, is any good. Stage presence and song quality is way more important to most people than whether a band has a hotshot guitarist.

For example, of the 2 bands we played with Saturday night I didn't like the openers, liked the closers. Neither of them did anything particularly "involved" on guitar. But the second band had the more memorable songs. The first band also had the handicap of a "tortured artist" singer who was too over the top even for me (which is saying something). The guitaring simply wasn't an issue in my opinion of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12