Thread: Mobile Tones...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mobile Tones...

I've been coming up with some new tones on my mobile device....since I can't take my amps with me everywhere...and have been experimenting with mobile recording. Using different ios based apps...I think I have found a decent solution. I use nanostudio for drums and backing instruments, JamUp for guitar work, and Multitrack DAW to put them all together...seems to do a fairly solid job. Anyhow, as far as tone goes...try giving these a listen and let me know what you think....any suggestions?

http://soundcloud.com/buddemeyer72/sets/jamup-amps/

Post Thanks / Like

I think the JCM 800 and Treadplate sound pretty good.

I don't have a smart phone so I'm pretty amazed at what can be done with the apps. So do you put down the drums or guitar first?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome onboard Derek.

I can't listen to the clip @ work, but I've recently dived head first into iOS recording, firstly with Garage Band on my iPhone, and as of the last 2 weeks, with my sexy new iPad 2.

I've been using Garage Band to assemble song ideas (I use a LOT of imported loops/samples though and GB isn't so great at organizing them) and I've tried Amplitube with the iRig adaptor and am not loving it so far, I very much prefer my 'real' guitar sounds and have a Blue Snowball USB mic on its way to me so I can get those into my iPad

I'm curious though, whilst MultiTrack DAW looks amazing and I'll almost certainly grab it tonight, have you had any experience with amplitube and/or Garage band in iOS based music production? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I think the JCM 800 and Treadplate sound pretty good.

I don't have a smart phone so I'm pretty amazed at what can be done with the apps. So do you put down the drums or guitar first?
    I like to lay the drums down first...I find it more engaging to play to a drum track rather than a click track. Also, I can lay multiple tracks or different takes of the guitar parts with different presets and choose which ones sound best...any questions I would be happy to go into detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Garageband, Amplitube, Ampkit, Nanostudio, JamUp, Multitrack DAW, and all the other ios based recording/production apps have their own set of pro's and con's. I have found that using each apps strongpoints in conjunction with the other apps proves to be a solid way of creating something that sounds amazing...although a little time consuming sometimes! I deal in ios based recording everyday, with various apps, so any questions--just shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    Welcome onboard Derek.

I can't listen to the clip @ work, but I've recently dived head first into iOS recording, firstly with Garage Band on my iPhone, and as of the last 2 weeks, with my sexy new iPad 2.

I've been using Garage Band to assemble song ideas (I use a LOT of imported loops/samples though and GB isn't so great at organizing them) and I've tried Amplitube with the iRig adaptor and am not loving it so far, I very much prefer my 'real' guitar sounds and have a Blue Snowball USB mic on its way to me so I can get those into my iPad

I'm curious though, whilst MultiTrack DAW looks amazing and I'll almost certainly grab it tonight, have you had any experience with amplitube and/or Garage band in iOS based music production? I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    Garageband for mobile is great...however, the organization of imported loops is lacking a little... I would like to see a folder option implemented. Amplitube, Ampkit, and Garageband all have their good points and their drawbacks...just like any other app. I have tried them all. Have you tried JamUp yet? The Lite version is free on the app store....definitely worth a look. Let me know what you think. I find Nanostudio to be a very useful tool as far as ios based music production goes. I have a project I'm working on now using Garageband mobile for the backing track and try to record JamUp into a track on Garageband....I'm thinking good possibilities because Garageband has unlimited track recording time...unlike other live sampling apps. Glad to talk more when you have the time... derek@positivegrid.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is one area in which iWhatever really seems to an advantage over Android. Having said that, I haven't really looked into the Android alternatives that much other than recording through my phone's mic.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Derek,

This is great! I do a lot of recording in my home studio but I've not made the leap to my mobile device yet to see how good these tools are for recording from a tablet or smartphone. I need to get into this though, since I do travel a lot for my day job and I often wish that I had some kind of recording setup that I could take on the road. Are you using an iPad or iPhone for your platform or some kind of Android phone/tablet? (I use both for my work so I could go with either one) I'm guessing that there is more for the iOS platform now since that seems to be the one with the best media apps.

Do you have any favorite midi controllers that you use playing synth parts or do you just use the touch screen?

Thanks,
    --Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to find an Android based app for any guitar work. Supposedly they can't seem to fix the low latency issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

I use both, 4th gen ipod touch and 3rd gen ipod touch for all my mobile recording. I basically use JamUp for the guitars, nanostudio for drums and backing tracks, multitrack daw to put it all together and mix. I just bought sampletank, so we'll see how that comes into play! I don't use any midi controllers...just the touch screen...less equipment to drag around. Get back to me if you need any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Derek,

Do you have a multitrack DAW on the iPod, or are you using nanostudio for that part? I'm just wondering what you use to capture your tracks on the mobile device and do your overdubs.

I use Sonar X1 on my PC as my main DAW but it can take just about any kind of input format, so I could import tracks from most any other kind of DAW that would be available on the mobile device.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    I use nano studio, GarageBand mobile and sampletank to create the backing tracks and then import or export different parts to the various apps to create more...when done, I put the tracks into multitrack daw and mix...then record guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer View Post
    Hi Derek,

Do you have a multitrack DAW on the iPod, or are you using nanostudio for that part? I'm just wondering what you use to capture your tracks on the mobile device and do your overdubs.

I use Sonar X1 on my PC as my main DAW but it can take just about any kind of input format, so I could import tracks from most any other kind of DAW that would be available on the mobile device.

--Jim
    Jim
    Yes, I have multitrack DAW on my ipod. I will create a track with sampletank or garageband mobile or nanostudio and either email it to myself or export to itunes. If I use the email route, I can open the mail, hold down the attached file and it will give me a list of apps to open the file with....multitrack is one of them. I also run 2 ipods with 2 interface connectors that allows me to use one app...multitrack...and record from another app on the other ipod into a track on the DAW app...it seems cumbersome at times...but my computer is on its last leg and I can only load up a few plugins and record a single track before it starts bugging out on me. This way I have no hiccups and can run a LOT of tracks at once. One other way that I've done some work is this. Load DAW in computer (cubase, reaper, etc.) and run out of your audio interface from computer into mobile interface on ipod/iphone/ipad...into multitrack DAW. Now I can record my computer generated tracks and record direct into my idevice....Then if I have to leave...I can mix, add effects, pan, master.....all mobile. Export to .wav or aac, or aiff with a number of different bitrates to choose from. Nice to have choices.