Thread: Pierogis....!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pierogis....!

Sorry no recipe, just an endorsement... my neighbor makes them and shared some.

It is a dumpling, which can accommodates a variety of fillings.
    Hers were sauerkraut and mushrooms, very good. She also makes some filled with cherries!

They may be a little labor-intensive, which may be just the thing for a fun group or family activity (if you do, report back!)

Any forumite well-versed in making these little critters?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...i-title-g.html

While I have no secret recipe, I will proudly state that I live in the Capital of the Pierogi Pocket of America. I have to admit, despite living in this area for 90% of my life, I did not have a pierogi until about two years ago. They are quite tasty.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff! Originally from Poland but they are also made in Russia and probably other Slavic countries. Can be filled with just about anything. Most from this area have mashed potato and cheese in them. Can prepare them by deep frying, boiling, or sauteing with onions and lots of butter. I like them boiled with some sour cream. The shell is similar to the dough you would use for ravioli and the filling, well that is up to your imagination!
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I love pierogis, but being a Jew with an eastern european heritage, I am fond of most of that style of cooking, my Romanian grandmother didn't make pierogis, but she made a couple of Yiddish stuffed dumplings that were similar, with potato or meat stuffing, served with sour cream.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

We spell them Pyrogy (pyrogies). My mother in law is Ukrainian, and a master chef at making these!

We have them often. Love it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never made them, but I will have some of the store-bought kind once in awhile. Polish ravioli is what a friend used to call them. I thought that seemed about right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner