Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory Inital Impressions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I'll leave it to you to pick whichever response you deem appropriate:
    1) "I'm sorry"
    2) "You're welcome"

When I first got my EX-7 the Space Station was used most frequently. With it set to an octave down I think I could do the music for a horror movie all by myself
    I will select number 2.. :

Ya know, it's pretty cool to be in your fifties and enjoying a present like when ya was five.. I don't ever wanna grow up... do any real musician's ever growup?

Oldguy.. I have sooo much time consumed in the band Tone and I am in... it's hard to be a video producer too... but I will think about it..lol
    (I know T2TB is glad I added this to the gig truck..)

Lev, I can see that happening.. you get caught up listening to some sound.. your not there playing it anymore.. please.. try to be sitting next time you pull that stunt..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    .. I don't ever wanna grow up... do any real musician's ever growup?
    Nope. They grow out.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Nope. They grow out.
    Hmmm..I might be turning into a Musician than... naw...

Something I noticed about the EX-7... it's gonna put my Crybaby CGB95F on ebay..

I tried out the Crybaby and Vox Wah settings on it..

At first..I thought man these suck compared to my crybaby classic...

Than I started turning knobs...

Imho the stock settings they suggest are way off for the crybaby..

On Crybaby settings I turned the 1-11:00 and 2-11:00 and 3-OFF

On Vox Wah settings I turned the 1-9:00 and 2-10:00 and 3-OFF

Like that.. they both sounded pretty darn close to the Fasel Crybaby..
    least close enough to me..

Which leave a heck of alot of adjusments for other sounds..

That booster on 3.. it is kinda noisy.. but not needed anyways.. not for just the wahbaby sound..

But.. if you turn 1 and 2 off.. and 3 up.. well..you got a boost switch..

Ofcourse..my ears kinda suck.. like my playing.. but this is just my opinion on those two so far..

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Cry Baby model. I haven't A/B'd it with the real thing, but I'm certainly not going to have a need to get one. I had a bass Cry Baby back in the day. It ate batteries and I had a devil of a time keeping the pot from getting scratchy. No problem there when you are dealing with a digital model.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I like the Cry Baby model. I haven't A/B'd it with the real thing, but I'm certainly not going to have a need to get one. I had a bass Cry Baby back in the day. It ate batteries and I had a devil of a time keeping the pot from getting scratchy. No problem there when you are dealing with a digital model.
    do you find the Vox wah a little sharper? (for a better word aludes me)
    it's neat in it's own rights.. but I also favor the crybaby so far.. once I changed settings..it gave me a little more play on the pedal..

Is there a certain setting you leave your crybaby set to?

Post Thanks / Like

do you find the Vox wah a little sharper? (for a better word aludes me)
    it's neat in it's own rights.. but I also favor the crybaby so far.. once I changed settings..it gave me a little more play on the pedal..

Is there a certain setting you leave your crybaby set to?
    I must be honest, I haven't messed with the Crybaby settings in awhile so I don't even remember what I used. Probably pretty close to noon all around. The Vox wah seems a bit more nasal/thinner to me I think.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I got one yesterday from an after Christmas sale at Guitar Center for $149. My sister and niece gave me a gift card so I used part of that for it plus I got an additional 10% off for using the gift card before the end of the month. So far I like it and it's going to replace a couple of pedals on my board. I'll have those up for sale soon so keep an eye out. The Uni-vibe and Leslie sounds are great and full sounding. I like the Clyde wah a lot and some of the distortions are kinda neat. I finally figured out how to use the pedal it was difficult at first and yeah Marnold I too plugged my guitar into the footswitch when I first tried it. hahahaha
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You lucky dog! It seems like a really cool pedal.

Does it suck tone bad?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    I got one yesterday from an after Christmas sale at Guitar Center for $149.
    Sweeeeet!!! Look forward to all your thoughts on it...

Im still in heaven when I play those synth swells.. just an amazing little pedal....:

Post Thanks / Like

Robert - No it doesn't seem to suck any tone even with some of my other pedals. It's got several level settings on the pedal anyway so when you're in effect model mode or distortion model mode it's a good loud signal on them. When off the amp sounds the same really.

Justa - Can you imagine the screaming solos our band is going to be playing with the Space Station and Whammy effects! Man I love the Whammy effect. I get the perfect simulation of any White Stripes solo it's way too fun. I crack myself up listening to it. My daughter passed by a while ago and goes "hey that's cool!". I also really like the Boss Metal Zone effect. On a clean Fender amp it sounds great and would really be helpful if you wanted some instant Boogie leads. It sounds perfect with the Whammy effect combined. The wahs aren't too bad and I'm almost sold on them. I have the Cry Baby with Fasel and I've got to try Spud's settings on it to compare. If it does that reasonably good I'll sell the CB. I'm already going to let go of the Little Big Muff fuzz pedal and the Chicken Salad pedal.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Does it suck tone bad?
    That's the thing I've been most impressed with. My OD definitely colors my tone even when it's not on. I don't even know that the EX is there. I don't know if it is "true bypass" but it is very transparent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Justa - Can you imagine the screaming solos our band is going to be playing with the Space Station and Whammy effects! Man I love the Whammy effect.
    That's about all I can do...Imagine..lol

Help me out here...
    I see alot of reviews about the Whammy being soooo cool..
    so excellent.. Ummm what the heck do you do with it? lol

I know if I set knobs: 1-full right 2 -12:00 and 3 - full right..
    I get the effect my whammy bar gives in the pedal performance...
    But umm I got a whammy..

I know there must be more to it..lol..what am I missing here?
    it all sounds chinesse to me on any other setting... HELP!!
    Please someone explain what I am suppose to see/hear here..

Oh... I been A/B'ing my MUFF to this one..
    Im keeping my MUFF..or should I say Large Beaver..
    or would replace it more with the RAT than with the Digi Muff..
    justa mho... Although the DigiMuff is useable..
    just different...

I been having some fun with the Leslie and Hotel California...

I have a Dunlop UniVibe Stereo Chorus...
    I really like the Digi Uni-Vibe..
    But Don't think I will Sell the Dunlop.. yet..
    It does a few more things.. I think anyways...

Still... the SpaceStation makes this worth every penny..
    :

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Help me out here...
    I see alot of reviews about the Whammy being soooo cool..
    so excellent.. Ummm what the heck do you do with it? lol
    you can do this....

and this...

and pretty much any Rage Against the Machine Song. I guess the big differernce between it and a whammy bar is the ability to go up an octave or two. BTW - have you tried doing a dive bomb with your whammy bar on the space station sound - way cool!!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

The Dragonforce guitarists use the Whammy quite a bit, for example in "Through the Fire and Flames"

If you set the wet/dry mix in the middle you can also do harmonized solos with yourself. As Lev pointed out, I'd bet that your whammy bar can't go from two octaves up to one octave down. It is one of those "a little dab will do ya" kind of effects because it is very easy to abuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that explains it... I don't listen to that stuff..it's satanic music...lol

Actually, Other than seeing Joe's face in one.. I don't even know the others..

So the Whammy is a 90's thing?

I guess I can still use it for my Squier 51 as a regular whammy..

Thanks guys..I knew I was missing something.. like a decade called the Nineties..

Post Thanks / Like

Robert has some Whammy demos over at Dolphin Street.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Robert has some Whammy demos over at Dolphin Street.
    I should have known that!!

Hey I just listened to them... he sounds Chinessee...

I can honestly say I sound like robert now.. well..the screeeeching parts at least..lol

People actually call that a style?

Now I understand how Country sounds to some here..
    Different strokes.. I swear I don't get that..lol

thanks all.. I am sure it's cool for alot of people..

:

EDIT: Thanks for the headsup on White Stripes.. I been listening to Jack for the last few hours over on youtube... I think I now understand the Whammy setting.. And have added the White Stripes as a band to listen to.. the guy has some great songs.. and neat style.. I also like his Fender twins and selection of guitars.... thanks!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stripes
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; December 30th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd really like their material Justa (White Stripes) especially the guitar oriented Icky Thump. Lots of different stuff but the roots are blues. If you have an open mind and enjoy the idea of just drums and guitar then you'd dig it. I know I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ya baby! The EX7 is definitely worth getting. The wahs alone are worth what they ask for these, but add the Space Station and distortions and Whammy and this thing is a bargain.:

If you can get to a store that carries them be sure try one. I may have some pedals for sale soon too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast