Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
2011 year in review: a gear retrospective - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 year in review: a gear retrospective

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Eric. For me: Squire CV Tele (love it) Ric 620 ( very nice) Fender 60th Anniv. Thinline Tele (really love it) Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute (not so much....really disapointed on this buy) Epiphone Ltd. Edition Dot Royale ( this was by far the best bang for the buck) Line 6 M5 (was able to clean up some of my pedtal clutter with this) Strymon Blue Sky Reverb ( awesome) Danelecto Cool Cat fuzz ( just OK)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick View Post
    Great post Eric. For me: Squire CV Tele (love it) Ric 620 ( very nice) Fender 60th Anniv. Thinline Tele (really love it) Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute (not so much....really disapointed on this buy) Epiphone Ltd. Edition Dot Royale ( this was by far the best bang for the buck) Line 6 M5 (was able to clean up some of my pedtal clutter with this) Strymon Blue Sky Reverb ( awesome) Danelecto Cool Cat fuzz ( just OK)
    That Strymon Blue Sky Reverb looks awesome! If I didn't love the reverb on my boggie I'd get that pedal in a heart beat.. hell, I just might get one anyway! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

2011 was:

Ibanez ART100TR
    Ibanez SZ320BK
    LTD EC-256AHB
    Washburn Idol I64TR
    Squier Deluxe Strat
    Squire Telecaster Thinline

Pocket Pod
    Fender Starcaster Chorus
    Marshall Gov'nor
    Zoom Q3
    Tascam DP-004
    Digitech Studio S100
    PV IPR1600
    Ibanez AH1&2 pickups
    Sony MRD7506 headphones
    Ibanez TU20 tuner

sheesh!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thread!

2011 had me dig into my pockets for:

- Laney Cub 12R
    - Digitech RP500
    - Custom built Esquire
    - new recording DAW
    - and a boatload of VSTi plugins (all paid for)

Bought and returned:

Fender Mustang III
    Squier CV Vintage Blonde tele
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

BTW--Those Hell guitars look very promising. That Zero Dot looks slick, and your demo sounds great.
    They are one to watch, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    For me, well

3 Hell Guitars
    Line 6 POD HD300
    Porter Pickups - Vintage Tele

I think that's it. Kinda lame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radioboy950 View Post
    BTW--Those Hell guitars look very promising. That Zero Dot looks slick, and your demo sounds great.
    They are one to watch, for sure.
    I'm with you on that Radioboy. I thought for sure I'd have one this year. I'm really drooling over the Zero Dot!!!
    Does anyone know when these will be available???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick View Post
    I'm with you on that Radioboy. I thought for sure I'd have one this year. I'm really drooling over the Zero Dot!!!
    Does anyone know when these will be available???
    No.

I've been jonesing for one since I saw it.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

According to this post things look like they're really moving along...I'm sure it won't be too long before you can get your hands on one.
    Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    No.

I've been jonesing for one since I saw it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope so.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Very conservative year for me, in part due to financial constraints -- namely an university student son with great need. Was sorely tempted to buy a modded LP with the Peter Green pickup setup. But couldn't decide what to divest so that hasn't happened. The only new bit of gear was a Diamond Compressor, very solid and tasty unit made by a company in Canada's maritimes. Just the ticket for more sustain on the single coils.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

I had an extremely modest year for gear acquisitions. In fact, I didn't personally get any new gear.

The only two instrument purchases I made this year were a ukulele for my daughter's birthday and a recorder that we just got her for Christmas. Of course, I will play with both of those (I've already gotten much mileage from the ukulele) but they're really for her.

Other than that, the only gear I got this year was new strings here and there as needed.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a couple of used Peavey guitars, a Generation S-3 and a Generation EXP ACM, plus a DeArmond M-75T. I sold a Takamine a/e 12-string.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a bit of gear churn for me this past year:

Guitars

Sold: Xaviere XV-870 Strat copy (to Monkus here); Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard

Bought: Gibson Custom Historic Series '59 Les Paul Reissue (R9); Squier Classic Vibe Tele Custom; Squier Classic Vibe '50s Strat

Amps

Sold: Egnater Rebel 20 head; Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 head (another sale to Monkus!)

Bought: Mesa Express 5:25 10" combo; Jeff Rubin Rocket head (Trainwreck Rocket clone)

Built: BYOC Champlifier (Fender tweed Champ 5F1 clone)

Pedals

W-a-a-a-a-y-y too much to bother listing here....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

@riverrick: Is this the 60th Thinline tele? http://www.chorder.com/electric-guit...lecaster+3678/

Looks cool! I must have missed the thread when you got it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, unintentional but it's been a busy year on the gear side for me. Lets see now:

'06 Gibson Melody Maker (came in and went out)
    '10 Epiphone Dot Studio (came in and went out)
    '00 Gibson SG Standard
    '98 Gibson LP DC Standard
    '03 Fender Stratocaster Standard MIM

Vox AC4TV10
    Vox Lil' Night Train with 1X12 cab

More pedals than i can list came and went which leaves me with a T-Rex Alberta OD and a Boss CS-3

I also bought Gator hard cases for the SG, Dot Studio and the Strat, 5 sets of strings (DR Pure Blues nickel 10-52's and a set of 11-50's). I have also 'invested' in having all my guitars set up by a pro this year (The SG, Strat and LP DC)

I don't see it as a GAS problem, just the road to refining my sound.

The big question is this: Am i a better player than i was 12 months ago? Answer: Yes, a LOT better. Still not great but if i can improve like this year on year, i'll be able to become a full time professional musician.........by the time i retire aged 65!

What will 2012 bring? Well, i'm on a self imposed spending ban for the next 6 months at least but i'd like to get a set of Bare Knuckle 'Irish Tour' pick-up's fitted to the Strat when i can afford it and real life does'nt get in the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    @riverrick: Is this the 60th Thinline tele? http://www.chorder.com/electric-guit...lecaster+3678/

Looks cool! I must have missed the thread when you got it.
    Yep that's it. You didn't miss the post....never posted that buy. I know you guys like to see some pics (I just just have a hell of a time putting up pics) Really love that guitar, it's light as a feather and plays like a dream. Only thing I did was swap out the pups. Put in some D. Allen Fat Cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Morganfield View Post
    The big question is this: Am i a better player than i was 12 months ago? Answer: Yes, a LOT better. Still not great but if i can improve like this year on year, i'll be able to become a full time professional musician.........by the time i retire aged 65!

What will 2012 bring? Well, i'm on a self imposed spending ban for the next 6 months at least but i'd like to get a set of Bare Knuckle 'Irish Tour' pick-up's fitted to the Strat when i can afford it and real life does'nt get in the way!
    I think we are on the same trajectory! By the time I retire I'm going to be the shredder I've always wanted to be!
    You won't be sorry with those Bare Knuckle pups.. I have an 'Irish Tour' / 'Nailbomb' combination in my Hell ZeroDot strat and it is wicked bad!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm broke from cancer bills so I didn't really buy anything this year, at least not anything big that I intended not to immediately flip. I bought an Epi SG bass that I woulda loved to have kept but flipped. Also a '60's Cordovox 2x12 cab with the original Jensens that I'm still trying to flip. Only thing I've bought not intending to resell is a Juice Box OD pedal, and I don't really need that. Oh, and a couple Snark tuners.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, what about the Godin? Did you get it in 2011?

(going through my receipts)

Blackstar HT408 speaker cabinet
    4 used old stock tubes (2 preamp & 2 power amp)
    Prewired strat pick guard from GFS (really weak pups)
    Set of Carvin S60A single coil pups (to replace those weak pups)
    Rolling Stone Early Rock to Late 60s tab book
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast