Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2011 year in review: a gear retrospective

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
    Eric, what about the Godin? Did you get it in 2011?
    Uh...I think I got that in 2010, but I'm honestly not sure. I flipped it for a CV tele and some cash this year. It was too noisy and something (e.g. scale length, bolt-on neck, etc.) made it something other than what I was hoping for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Shame as that was one pretty guitar.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
    Shame as that was one pretty guitar.
    I agree, but I was hoping for a lighter Les Paul. Despite my best efforts, it ended up sounding quite different. It seems weird to say it, but I think it might have been due to scale length.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2011

Squier Classic Vibe in Olympic White, sweet guitar, couldn't get past the metal pick-guard, came and went,

Xaviere Surf Green XV-870 awesome purchase from DVM.

Carvin AE 185. http://www.carvinworld.com/catalog/g...hp?model=ae185
    ...Couldn't help myself there...

Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-15, another excellent purchase from DVM. My go to amp
    Built a cab for it here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ghlight=thiele

Boss GE-7 Eq pedal.
    Boss DD-7 delay

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, pedals bought used....

Zoom R16 Recorder, bought to catch performances from church...

That's it (I think) .
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Monkus - that R16 seems like a really practical piece of gear. Have you spent any time with it yet? What is your take on it?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Spud..
    Its become invaluable. Our church is typical Presbyterian, Stuck in the 60's. The hymns are sung at hair growing pace. As the leader of the band I've decided to preserve the traditional and introduce contemporary worship music. So we do the normal hymns, in light jazz, celtic and acoustic modern. In order to 'advertise', I've recorded practices on the R16 and put it up on our fb page as 'marketing'. I bought the R16 after much research as I didn't want to lug my 21.5" iMac and a bunch of gear twice a week. Its easy to set up, lightweight and runs on batteries as well. If the recordings are good enough, I hook it up to the iMac via usb, and move the wav files into Logic for further processing.

here's a quick and dirty recording using just the external mics, no processing:

Note: the real name of the song is "His Glory Appears" sung by Brooke Fraser.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

It was a lean year for gear but most notably added a nice Gretsch (6120 Setzer Hot Rod). Otherwise mostly recording software (Reason upgrade) and plug-ins (Amplitube upgrade, Amplitube Fender, A few more EZ Drummer kits, EZ Mix and a bunch of other software I bought on impulse and can't remember right now). Also some fun music "toys" like the Korg mini KP, Wave Drum mini, Zoom Rhythmtrack RT-223 Drum Machine. Oh and lots of luthier supplies thanks mostly to StewMac!

And just remembered the Akai LPK25. Really handy, compact controller/keyboard. I really like this little thing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123