Thread: Sorry guys I lied

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry guys I lied

A while back I said between my Strat and Es335 Im done buyin guitars.....well I am done buyin em...but Im building this sooooo technically Im not buying a guitar Im buying parts and making a guitar! Boy if that aint spinning things LOL.
    Well just got my Tele body this is my first Tele and first guitar build. Its USACG Swamp ash body the neck (not here yet) will be Flame maple vintage tint got her all stained up today. Will be doing a nice wipe on PolyU topcoat. Im interested in opinions on pickguards. Im torn between parchment white of black mother of toilet seat. Man I cannot wait for the neck to get here!!!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=DSC00797.jpg
    Last edited by Mark; December 3rd, 2006 at 10:39 PM.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Ooo la la! I hope the dog isn't the one who stained that for you.

That is a nice looking piece of wood and it sounds like the neck is awesome too. So it's ok because technically...you're just building it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You LIAR!!!!

We'll allow it for this time since you are putting it together yourself.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so in awe of you guyz who build your own guitars n' amps! Keep it up!!!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I am so in awe of you guyz who build your own guitars n' amps! Keep it up!!!

Yes, and keep sharing the pics of the results too! It's great to watch.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

New pix added!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=Dsc00800.jpg

A little background, I first stained it in colonial pine then sanded back to wood this darkened my grain and edges. I then stained it in Vermont Maple and I purposely made the edges super dark to highlight the front and back.
    I then let the stain dry for 24 hours. Then hit it ever so lightly will 0000 steel wool.

In these new pics I got my first three light coats of fast dry PolyU on she will now cure for three days. These light coats are to protect the stain from smearing when I do the wipe on poly. After the curing I will do a light sanding followed by multiple coats of wipe on poly. I will probably do 5-10 coats I have to see how it looks as I go along, this is my first time doing this so Im learning. Im really pleased how it coming along so far plus its a lot of fun! I really cant wait to plug it in....I really really cant.....building guitars teaches you patience thats for sure
    Last edited by Mark; December 5th, 2006 at 07:13 PM.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Mark!!! Keep us informed!!!

PS: the wood has perfect grain pattern! If I were you, I would probably choose a lighter color. Maybe a transparent vintage white
    But this can be done on your next lie/project
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I considered a lighter finish but I wanted something a little different and in all honesty the pics dont do it justice. The grain is very much apparent in person not as much so in a lighter finish but the pix are a bit decieving. The pickguard is going to be parchment color and with the amber tint flame neck Im hopeing the stark contrasts will highlight the grain even more. But your right there will be another project/lie LOL. Im learning this is quite a project the requires lots of planning and patience with the payoff being music to my ears.